Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were to replace your older Mirage, what 2019 trim level would you get?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I can't stand the hideous black wheels on the LE that look like they were spray-painted by a teenager.

I like the looks the LE wheels the best of any, but I would rather have 14" wheels.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I like the looks the LE wheels the best of any, but I would rather have 14" wheels.
    As near as I can tell, the LE wheels are just the GT wheels without any finish machining on the face. I prefer the machined ones. If you want black painted wheels just get the 14s and pull off the wheel covers!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As near as I can tell, the LE wheels are just the GT wheels without any finish machining on the face. I prefer the machined ones. If you want black painted wheels just get the 14s and pull off the wheel covers!
    None of these things matter to me really. Thus, I should probably shut up! 5-speed manual would trump anything else on a Mirage for me. Thus picking a trim level is easy.

I was just pointing out the LE has 15" wheels & heated seats to the masses. They are not features I am interested in at all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    None of these things matter to me really. Thus, I should probably shut up! 5-speed manual would trump anything else on a Mirage for me. Thus picking a trim level is easy.

I was just pointing out the LE has 15" wheels & heated seats to the masses. They are not features I am interested in at all.
    For me, it is a 'horse race' between the FAST key system and a 5-speed. I really do prefer the manual, but I am not sure I want to go back to fumbling for my keys!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For me, it is a 'horse race' between the FAST key system and a 5-speed. I really do prefer the manual, but I am not sure I want to go back to fumbling for my keys!
    I figure the key or other device has to be in the car somewhere to start. I like that the key has its own special spot to be keep in the car called the ignition. That way I don't have to remember where I put it. I really don't like carrying things in my pocket anyways.

I pull my cell phone out of my pocket every time I get in the car. Doing the same with a key is not that big of deal for me. It's my understanding a car with a key is much harder to steal not that I really worry about that either. I am glad a key option still exist!

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/1...-cars-ford-bmw

Everyone is surely different, & that is why we have trim levels I guess!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Both keyed and keyless systems use a transponder to give a security code in order for the immobilizer to allow the engine to start & run. One system uses a piece of hardware (the key) and one does not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Both keyed and keyless systems use a transponder to give a security code in order for the immobilizer to allow the engine to start & run. One system uses a piece of hardware (the key) and one does not.
    Absolutely right. This is why base Mirages don't have ignition locks anymore. They can't be 'hot-wired' anyway. All turning the key does is actuate the starter once the ETACS has the security code. I do that by pushing a button, and the ETACS gets my transponder code out of my pocket.

Truth be told, in terms of security the only thing the metal key is good for would be physically locking/unlocking the doors. Every base Mirage could have a blank key for the ignition...it is the transponder code that allows the car to start.

No code, no start.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Absolutely right. This is why base Mirages don't have ignition locks anymore. They can't be 'hot-wired' anyway. All turning the key does is actuate the starter once the ETACS has the security code. I do that by pushing a button, and the ETACS gets my transponder code out of my pocket.

Truth be told, in terms of security the only thing the metal key is good for would be physically locking/unlocking the doors. Every base Mirage could have a blank key for the ignition...it is the transponder code that allows the car to start.

No code, no start.
    I don't think that is the reason steering locks have disappeared on the Mirage at all.

Truth be told from everything I have heard - anyone with the proper tool can hook into your OBD port, scan your key fob code, program a blank key fob, & then drive off with your car. I heard a number of sources claim this.

I think there is a major difference here, but I could be totally wrong. Anyone with a mechanic's scanning tool could create a new fob from a blank. I've heard a mechanic say he does this all the time for his customers. This same mechanic doesn't even recommend using your fob at a gas station, because the signal can be picked up & read by someone.

Someone gets in a car that uses a key with a chip, that car isn't going anywhere without the key. I much rather have a key! I don't find pulling a key out of my pocket & sticking it into the ignition very difficult to do, but that's me.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-11-2019 at 11:15 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I don't think that is the reason steering locks have disappeared on the Mirage at all.

Truth be told from everything I have heard - anyone with the proper tool can hook into your OBD port, scan your key fob code, program a blank key fob, & then drive off with your car. I heard a number of sources claim this.

I think there is a major difference here, but I could be totally wrong. Anyone with a mechanic's scanning tool could create a new fob from a blank. I've heard a mechanic say he does this all the time for his customers. This same mechanic doesn't even recommend using your fob at a gas station, because the signal can be picked up & read by someone.

Someone gets in a car that uses a key with a chip, that car isn't going anywhere without the key. I much rather have a key! I don't find pulling a key out of my pocket & sticking it into the ignition very difficult to do, but that's me.
    Even if someone could clone your fob and get the proper codes the odds of someone going through all that trouble for a Mirage is next to zero. The car is virtually theft proof due obscurity and being a subcompact that has a horrible "professional" reviewer reputation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts

Interesting. I wonder what equipment would be required to do this?

Even more interesting is that this is considered a valid threat when we can't even figure out TPMS for the common man here lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)