Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: If you were to replace your older Mirage, what 2019 trim level would you get?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Even if someone could clone your fob and get the proper codes the odds of someone going through all that trouble for a Mirage is next to zero. The car is virtually theft proof due obscurity and being a subcompact that has a horrible "professional" reviewer reputation.
    OK, so no one wants to steal a Mirage. Thus, we shouldn't be concerned about this?

I guess we should tell owners of more expensive vehicles to buy Mirages, because they are less likely to be stolen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8RrmEizVg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    OK, so no one wants to steal a Mirage. Thus, we shouldn't be concerned about this?

I guess we should tell owners of more expensive vehicles to buy Mirages, because they are less likely to be stolen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8RrmEizVg
    I agree wholeheartedly! I don't even lock mine. I don't listen to any music (I haven't turned the radio on in almost 2 years) and don't keep any change, power adapters, chargers, coffee punchcards (Mainly because I'm too cheap to buy coffee). I have a pair of $3.00 cotton gloves and a DollarTree hairbrush in the car. I guess if someone needs those two items they can help themselves.
    Last edited by inuvik; 07-12-2019 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Additional info

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't think that is the reason steering locks have disappeared on the Mirage at all.

Truth be told from everything I have heard - anyone with the proper tool can hook into your OBD port, scan your key fob code, program a blank key fob, & then drive off with your car. I heard a number of sources claim this.
    If they are willing to go through all this trouble, would it really be any trouble to remove the ignition switch from the back of your ignition lock with a Phillips screwdriver and turn it with a flat screwdriver?

Ignition locks appeared in the 1970s because the ignition switch could be bypassed or hot-wired. Older cars could be started and driven away. The logic behind steering locks was that even if a thief could start the engine by going around the ignition switch they could not steal an un-steerable car.

Now that cars can't be hot-wired and have pretty impressive electronic theft protection, the ignition lock is completely superfluous. And this 1970s theft deterrence technology is disappearing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree wholeheartedly! I don't even lock mine. I don't listen to any music (I haven't turned the radio on in almost 2 years) and don't keep any change, power adapters, chargers, coffee punchcards (Mainly because I'm too cheap to buy coffee). I have a pair of $3.00 cotton gloves and a DollarTree hairbrush in the car. I guess if someone needs those two items they can help themselves.
    Address and sleeping schedule please. Thanks in advance lmao

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-12-2019)

The car is virtually theft proof due obscurity and being a subcompact that has a horrible "professional" reviewer reputation.
    Ahem...

Thread: 2014 Mirage stolen & recovered

Thread: Stolen Mirage found. Finally

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    If they are willing to go through all this trouble, would it really be any trouble to remove the ignition switch from the back of your ignition lock with a Phillips screwdriver and turn it with a flat screwdriver?

Ignition locks appeared in the 1970s because the ignition switch could be bypassed or hot-wired. Older cars could be started and driven away. The logic behind steering locks was that even if a thief could start the engine by going around the ignition switch they could not steal an un-steerable car.

Now that cars can't be hot-wired and have pretty impressive electronic theft protection, the ignition lock is completely superfluous. And this 1970s theft deterrence technology is disappearing.
    I don't share you opinion on this matter at all, but car theft has changed with the times. The equipment needed to steal cars is more expensive than a screwdriver & brute force. No one can argue that.

A key with chip in it is much harder to steal and drive off with it. If you want to think otherwise, that is fine.

Two relay boxes - One picks up the signal from the push button key fob sends the signal to the second box that can be a 100m or more away. Two people using a a system like this can open the car with the second box and drive off with the car or just steal its contents. I've seen this demonstrated. Someone sits next to someone in a restaurant while the second person is unlocking/stealing the contents of their car/or driving off with it. I seen video clips of one guy reading the signal through the wall of the house, sending it to another guy with a second device, they unlock and drive off with the car in under a minute.

Stealing car with key/chip would require going to a dealership and pretending to be a used car salesman with a VIN #.

Sure some people may not store much in their car, but I've seen a clip where some French news reporters in Quebec lost $30,000 worth of news equipment this way. In their case, their signal was intercepted when they locked their car with the remote. Push the lock button on your door & this can't happen. Yes, I've heard mechanics suggest doing this, especially in dark unprotected areas like a parking ramp.

If I am traveling to my parents to hunt for a day or two, I have thousands of dollars of hunting equipment in my car. I never really leave it unattended that long, but I would be ticked if someone stole a pack of gum.

We are not going to stop those who want to steal cars. I am not convince technology alone has made cars safer from all this. Everyone else is entitled to think otherwise. I don't lose sleep over this, but it's good to be aware I guess.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-12-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Address and sleeping schedule please. Thanks in advance lmao
    It's unlocked all the time so you can rummage through it whenever you like!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Pryme (07-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's unlocked all the time so you can rummage through it whenever you like!
    If they break your car window to get in, they are either stupid or just plain mean, too!!!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    It kinda makes my point, this is the only examples I've heard of so far where someone has stolen a Mirage. The one taken from Fummin's fleet had the key in it so it's not like it was a cloning or hi-tech grab.

The most common vehicle to be stolen around here are 99+ Ford 3/4 and 1 tons. I'm not sure how they're getting around the ones that use chip keys. But I have a feeling that nearly everything in Alberta has a remote start and the aftermarket ones need a way to bypass the factory security in able to start. I remember seeing some early remote starts in cars with chip keys. They actually had a key in a plastic box zip tied under the dash. Super ghetto and easy to steal if you wanted to. Newer ones are more secure I'm sure.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)