Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: If you were to replace your older Mirage, what 2019 trim level would you get?

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    It kinda makes my point, this is the only examples I've heard of so far where someone has stolen a Mirage. The one taken from Fummin's fleet had the key in it so it's not like it was a cloning or hi-tech grab.
    Yeah, and who wants to go to jail for steeling a Mirage. If you're gonna go through all the trouble learning how to by pass the security you might as well do it for something cool.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah, and who wants to go to jail for steeling a Mirage. If you're gonna go through all the trouble learning how to by pass the security you might as well do it for something cool.
    Yup, my point exactly. If someone is going to go through all that trouble, why would you steal a car with basically throwaway resale value? I leave mine unlocked because since there is nothing to steal, why have a window broken for no reason!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    You also get front seat warmers, and the GT is only $500 more than the SE. I feel like those might be worthwhile in Michigan! Honestly, I would have to drive a Mirage with projector headlights to see if I even like them. On some cars, I don't.
    I've never had seat warmers, so I wouldn't miss them :P

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    In both of these examples the keys were left in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    As luck would have it, guess who I just ran into?

She left the key in it. (Over night.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The keys in it were in it.
    How can you protect against that?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    In both of these examples the keys were left in the car. How can you protect against that?
    You can't and so far outside of these two incidences of Mirages being stolen with the keys left in it I've never read or heard of anyone having their Mirage stolen by someone circumventing the anti-theft codes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    It kinda makes my point, this is the only examples I've heard of so far where someone has stolen a Mirage. The one taken from Fummin's fleet had the key in it so it's not like it was a cloning or hi-tech grab.
    The other one had the key in it too.

IT ALL PROVES THE REVIEWERS DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT!

Remember the CNN guy who said you'd be better off taking the bus? Demonstrably false! Taking a Mirage with the key in it is better than taking a bus.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-12-2019),inuvik (07-12-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have a 2014 Mirage ES 5MT now, and I would go for a 2019 ES 5MT tomorrow. 3 out of 4 other trims for the Mirage's 2019 model year, in Canada anyways, are automatic CVTs. No more leather 5 speed shifter, boo.

I would not buy a Mirage, or any small car, with an automatic.

I do like the black roof on the "Limited" though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Well, sure. We all are. Mitsubishi didn't have to design this & didn't have to bring it to market. Does the trim level really matter that much?
    In an effort to get this thread back on track (it has already been moved once), I have given Eggman’s question some thought. In some ways, trim levels do matter!

I like to think in hypothetical terms sometimes, but let us be honest about the fact that small economy cars are not extremely popular right now. Anything we discuss here is not going to change that.

I am going to use our wonderful neighbors to the north to make my point. A base model Nissan Micra in Canada has a MSRP of $10,488. Let us do the math for the American crowd. That would be an $8000 MSRP car for us.

I have watched a few reviews of the Micra. The car critics do not rip on the Micra, because it is an $8,000 car. Likewise, they do not rip on what features it does not have, because it is an $8,000 car. Instead they focused on all the nice things an $8000 will give you! They focused on all the important things you would want to see in an affordable, economy car, & they are not snobs about it. They understand what Nissan is trying to do. The reviews are quite pleasant to watch actually!

I am not a big fan of Nissan products, but I applaud them for making/selling this car. It is probably the reason a cheaper base model Mirage is offered in Canada, too.

Now let us look at our beloved Mirage. A base level Mirage in Canada has a MSRP of $10,998. Let us do the math for the Americans again. That would be an $8412 MSRP Mirage for us. I think an $8500 MSRP Mirage sold in America would create some attention. In my opinion, it may create more attention than adding auto climate controls to all trim levels in 2020. All 2014-15 models already had that feature. Big deal!

I think there are two main types of Mirage customers. Why not please both?

Some people want cheap, basic, reliable transportation. Those who are looking for a daily driver or a second/third family car may embrace an $8,500 car, & I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

If the Mirage is your primary (only) vehicle, the upper trim levels are there to make those customers happy. Those who adore features can surely spend more. That’s why more expensive upper trim levels exist.

I will even take this one step further. A nicely equipped ES Plus 5MT in Canada has a MSRP of $14,998, & that would be $11,472 MSRP for the U.S.

I see very little difference between Canada’s ES Plus 5MT and our ES MANUAL. When I look over features, they are pretty much the same car. Yet, our MSRP is $13,795. Why the $2300 difference in MSRP price for the same car? That’s a chunk of money for a cheap economy car. Maybe small cars are harder to sell in Canada?

Most Americans probably end up buying an ES MANUAL for way less than its MSRP, but somehow the value of the Mirage gets lost in the marketing of this car here. The Mirage is an awesome little car, but it is not priced right for the U.S. market. I feel it is priced better for the Canadian market. Selling a new car for $8500 in today’s U.S. market would be bold & different! It would make some pause at least. I am not asking someone to create a new car here, because this car is currently sold in Canada for that price.

Small economy cars need to be priced right regardless of features. A car critic would look silly comparing an $8,500 Mirage to a Honda Fit that starts at almost twice that price.

I really do think Mitsubishi could do more with this car. I really do believe it could be marketed much better than it is. It may not be a huge profit vehicle, but Mitsubishi needs to work a little harder to draw customers in.

Sadly, I am not aware of a good/great Mitsubishi dealership in the state of Wisconsin. I know of 5-6 decent Chevy dealerships within a 50-mile radius of my rural SW Wisconsin home. Thus, I think Mitsubishi still needs a "Wow" factor in the U.S. Adding features to a Mirage makes it less appealing to me.

Apparently, Mitsubishi thinks trim levels matter, because they are offering 5 of them in the U.S. In a way, it’s really 6 trim levels if you split the ES manual & ES CVT like many countries do with the Mirage (MANUAL ES, CVT ES, CVT RF, CVT LE, CVT SE, CVT GT). The present 5-6 trim levels are not all that different, & I highly doubt it has done much to increase sales.

Likewise adding some totally new features like a sunroof or remote start to the upper trim levels may peak some new interests. Let's face it, the SE & GT trim levels keep going up in price each year, but very little has been changed in that time.

If the Mirage is your primary (only) vehicle, I totally understand the desire to have more features. Wouldn’t it be really nice if 5-6 trim levels truly gave all of us what we want! I do believe this car could be marketed better & more people may take notice. At the same time, you can’t squeeze blood from a turnip. Canadian buyers apparently are not extremely interested in cheap economy cars, & they somewhat have them!

Suzuki has become one of the most profitable car companies in the world. Last time I checked they passed BMW as number one. Suzuki sells affordable, reliable, smaller vehicles. You can still offer a good product at a fair price and still be a profitable company!

I think Mitsubishi could tap into a market in the U.S. that are others are avoiding, & it would help put Mitsubishi back on the map. The Mirage is sort of doing that on a very small level. I just feel it could be done better!

And yes, we all know Eggman is really happy with his current Mirage and all of the fine features it has!

I am just sharing a different perspective (on trim levels), & I wish Mitsubishi had a better network of good dealerships in the U.S., too!
    Last edited by Mark; 07-12-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In an effort to get this thread back on track (it has already been moved once), I have given Eggman’s question some thought. In some ways, trim levels do matter!
    Mark, you're saying the thread is getting off track, when you are man-splaining things with 100s of words. Like the guy who takes up 3 seats on the crowded subway stretching out. Sorry don't mean disrespect.

The Nissan Micra is an option nowadays across Canada, since 2015 I believe. Nissan Micra wasn't on sale yet when I bought my Mirage early 2014. There are way more Micra's on the road in Canada than Mirage's, most of the Micras look like fully loaded ones, but 9999$ gets you in the dealer's door for sure.

Micra racing exists in Quebec, saw on Nissan ads on TV.
    Last edited by dspace9; 07-12-2019 at 09:23 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Mark, you're saying the thread is getting off track, when you are man-splaining things with 100s of words. Like the guy who takes up 3 seats on the crowded subway stretching out. Sorry don't mean disrespect.

The Nissan Micra is an option nowadays across Canada, since 2015 I believe. Nissan Micra wasn't on sale yet when I bought my Mirage early 2014. There are way more Micra's on the road in Canada than Mirage's, most of the Micras look like fully loaded ones, but 9999$ gets you in the dealer's door for sure.

Micra racing exists in Quebec, saw on Nissan ads on TV.
    I realize my previous post was probably way over the top, but I am very disappointed in the marketing of the Mirage in the U.S.

My local Mitsubishi dealership (65 miles away) is advertising 2019 Mitsubishi Mirages starting @ $14,995 tonight. The dealership I purchased my Mirage from is advertising 2019 Mirage starting @ $10,999. From my personal experience, I know pretty much everyone is eligible for that $10,999 price and some could even get this same car for less (veterans for example). A $4000 difference in price on an economy car like this is a lot of money.

Yes the local place is also advertising free financing for 48 months, but you just paid all the interest up front. Plus, those who need the financing probably won't qualify for that rate, & they hose the person even more when they finance the car. When I told this establishment that I had my financing in order, their desire to sell me a car stopped. I felt like I had told them I had the plague or something. I am not making this up either. I was no longer a valued customer, & that is wrong!

I really do feel these cars could be sold at a reasonable price with reasonable financing, and everyone (dealer & customer) would still come out ahead. I also feel the trim levels are to much alike & more could done to make this car more appealing to the masses!

If I said to much, I apologize. I want Mitsubishi to succeed. The Mirage is overcoming all this and is still standing. That says a lot right there!

Last edited by Mark; 07-14-2019 at 01:38 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-14-2019)