Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 83

Thread: Flooding in the US Gulf Coast States July 2019

  1. #11
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanks
    865
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Yup, plenty of strange weather in past years here too. One horrible record broken after the other, and more freak weather events happening in one year than in the entire decade before. Really worrying is how serious freak weather has become, and how increasingly often it happens. The rapidly increasing frequency these events take place is frightening. Receeding coastlines are already normalty. Half of the Sullivan Islands are already under water. The climate-refugees now living in other countries. What a bleak outlook for other places too...
    They made a big deal about it being 90 in Anchorage, Alaska last week. It was also 99 in Fairbanks, Alaska, which is about 360 miles to the north of Anchorage.

    Oh, wait. It wasn't 99 in Fairbanks in 2019. It was 99 in Fairbanks in 1919.

    Weather events happen, and always have. I am not sure they are all due to my car's exhaust.



  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    704
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked 472 Times in 264 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    They made a big deal about it being 90 in Anchorage, Alaska last week. It was also 99 in Fairbanks, Alaska, which is about 360 miles to the north of Anchorage.

    Oh, wait. It wasn't 99 in Fairbanks in 2019. It was 99 in Fairbanks in 1919.

    Weather events happen, and always have. I am not sure they are all due to my car's exhaust.
    Of course things can and will happen. 2003 was the hottest year ever measured in Europe, then came the next year, the next again, and already this year 2019 is the hottest ever, although summer has just begun. Btw sea level in 1919 was a lot lower too, the rate of increase has already tripled within this decade alone. I wonder how much of Fla will become abandoned within our lifetime.
    Last edited by foama; 07-11-2019 at 11:13 AM.

  3. #13
    Senior Member AtomicPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    353
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 145 Times in 98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Yup, plenty of strange weather in past years here too. One horrible record broken after the other, and more freak weather events happening in one year than in the entire decade before. Really worrying is how serious freak weather has become, and the rapidly increasing frequency these events take place. Receeding coastlines are already normalty. Half of the Sullivan Islands are already under water and those climate-refugees had to give up their homes and live in other countries. What a bleak outlook.


    According to scientists, the earth is 4.5 billion years old. Accurate, systematic, global thermometer measurements of surface temperatures go back only to 1880. Not sure we really have enough data to take all the credit for any change in climate. I'll sit quietly by the phone and wait for the PC police to come arrest me now....

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

    Top_Fuel (07-11-2019)

  5. #14
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanks
    865
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Of course things can and will happen. 2003 was the hottest year ever measured in Europe, then came the next year, the next again, and already this year 2019 is the hottest ever, although summer has just begun. Btw sea level in 1919 was a lot lower too, the rateof increase has already tripled within this decade.
    I have serious doubts about the veracity of these measurements, to be honest with you. They aren't just blithely reading some thermometer somewhere to get them, though that is what we are supposed to believe. It seems they are always 'adjusting' the data. And their adjustments only seem to go one way:

    "HOTTER".

    I remember reading histrionic UN predictions from around 2005 about there being TENS OF MILLIONS of 'climate refugees'....by 2010! They have quietly 'adjusted' their prediction to 2020.

    And the 'rate of increase' argument is always suspect when I hear it used to make a point, because it is almost always used to mask increases that are actually incredibly tiny. Imagine there are 30 Inuit people living in Germany in 2018. In 2019, 10 more relatives of one Inuit family move to Germany. The total increase is incredibly small...from 30 to 40 people...but the rate of increase is a shocking 33%!!

    "Inuit migration to Germany increasing at an alarming rate!"

    I took a statistics class in junior college. The first thing my professor said on the first day was, "In this class I am going to teach you how incredibly easy it is to LIE using statistics."

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

    Top_Fuel (07-11-2019)

  7. #15
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanks
    865
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    According to scientists, the earth is 4.5 billion years old. Accurate, systematic, global thermometer measurements of surface temperatures go back only to 1880. Not sure we really have enough data to take all the credit for any change in climate. I'll sit quietly by the phone and wait for the PC police to come arrest me now....
    It's worse than that. They took the average of temperature measurements from 1961 to 1991 (a notoriously COOL period, BTW), drew a line across a temperature graph going back to the early 20th century, called that line "0.0", then ominously called everything above that line "The Temperature Anomaly".
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 07-11-2019 at 01:50 PM.

  8. #16
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanks
    865
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I wonder how much of Fla will become abandoned within our lifetime.
    Considering it was predicted that New York should have been underwater years ago, my guess is...NONE.

  9. #17
    Senior Member AtomicPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    353
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 145 Times in 98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Considering it was predicted that New York should have been underwater years ago, my guess is...NONE.

    I'm probably one of the older forum members. In grade school in the 1970's, they told us the earth was cooling and new ice age coming. In the 80's it was the ozone layer. In 90's acid rain. In the 00's it was global warming. Now they just call it climate change to cover anything. Fear is a powerful political tool...

    On that note, I leave you with the words of the great Steve Martin: "always carry a litter bag in your car. It doesn't take up much space, and when it gets full you can just throw it out the window".

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

    Cobrajet (07-11-2019)

  11. #18
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanks
    865
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I'm probably one of the older forum members. In grade school in the 1970's, they told us the earth was cooling and new ice age coming. In the 80's it was the ozone layer. In 90's acid rain. In the 00's it was global warming. Now they just call it climate change to cover anything. Fear is a powerful political tool...

    On that note, I leave you with the words of the great Steve Martin: "always carry a litter bag in your car. It doesn't take up much space, and when it gets full you can just throw it out the window".
    I was a young, college-age adult in the 1990s, and this is all I heard in any science class I took. "By 2005...! In as little as ten years! By 2010...! Might! May! Could! Perhaps! Possibly! Studies suggest...! By as much as ten feet!"

    Nowadays, all I hear is THE SAME THING. Only the dates have changed. "By 2025...! In as little as ten years! By 2040...! Might! May! Could! Perhaps! Possibly! Studies suggest...! By as much as ten feet!"

    Eventually, you stop running, look up at the sky, and see that it isn't falling.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

    BecauseRaceCar (07-11-2019),Top_Fuel (07-11-2019)

  13. #19
    Senior Member AtomicPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    353
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 145 Times in 98 Posts
    We can start a chapter of the Mirage forum in the re-education camp!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

    Cobrajet (07-11-2019)

  15. #20
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanks
    865
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    We can start a chapter of the Mirage forum in the re-education camp!
    Nice thought, but I will certainly be housed in solitary confinement for my thought crimes!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •