Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014-2015 brake pad recommendations

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

2014-2015 brake pad recommendations

So for the past two weeks my sister has been borrowing my Mirage as I was out of the country and she was having car trouble. I just got it back last night, but the night before I got a call from her saying the brakes were shot and grinding. Sure enough, when she pulled in the driveway last night you could definitely hear it.

So, I am going to put new pads and rotors on it. I am looking for some opinions on what to get. I have no idea if the current pads are OE or aftermarket, but they don't seem to have a ton of grab. Typically, I always go for ceramic pads, but this time around I am thinking of going semi-metalic or hybrid for hopefully some extra grab. It's not bad, and I am not looking to do a 2017+ brake upgrade. But, if I can get something a little better It would be a nice plus.

So, I am looking for suggestions on what to get, or what to stay away from. Thanks!

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I really like the Raybestos Element3 EHT hybrid pads. Another forumer complained about harmonic noise when he installed them, but I have no complaints. Much more 'bite' than stock, and they seem to last much longer as well.

IIRC, I got them on Ebay for about $25. No affiliation with the seller, and I am not even sure this is the seller I used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Raybestos-E...wAAOxy86RSZERh

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    So for the past two weeks my sister has been borrowing my Mirage as I was out of the country and she was having car trouble. I just got it back last night, but the night before I got a call from her saying the brakes were shot and grinding. Sure enough, when she pulled in the driveway last night you could definitely hear it.

So, I am going to put new pads and rotors on it. I am looking for some opinions on what to get. I have no idea if the current pads are OE or aftermarket, but they don't seem to have a ton of grab. Typically, I always go for ceramic pads, but this time around I am thinking of going semi-metalic or hybrid for hopefully some extra grab. It's not bad, and I am not looking to do a 2017+ brake upgrade. But, if I can get something a little better It would be a nice plus.

So, I am looking for suggestions on what to get, or what to stay away from. Thanks!
    On a positive note, RockAuto.com offers 17 different brake pad options for 2014-15 Mirage. They do a nice job of separating those brakes into economy/premium/daily driver. Prices range from $13.75 to $33.79. Some have a red heart symbol. Not sure what that means? Each type is described quite well. One hybrid listed is only $13.19. It may be a case of "you get what you pay for", however?

You may already know all this, but this information may be helpful to other forum members reading this thread. Even if I found something I like on one website, I would compare prices of the same product elsewhere. I like to get the opinion of local mechanics who work on cars every day, too.

It's nice to have options. I hope someone gives you (& us) a good suggestion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I really like the Raybestos Element3 EHT hybrid pads. Another forumer complained about harmonic noise when he installed them, but I have no complaints. Much more 'bite' than stock, and they seem to last much longer as well.

IIRC, I got them on Ebay for about $25. No affiliation with the seller, and I am not even sure this is the seller I used.
    I may have been typing the same time as Cobrajet. The $13.19 hybrid brake pads (RAYBESTOS EHT1731H Element3; Hybrid Technology) just happen to be the same ones I mentioned above.

I use the same pads on the 15's and 17's. Same pad size used on both, just the 17'+ place the pad further out and use a different rotor and caliper bracket. If you were to ever do a swap just source 2 caliper brackets and buy 2 rotors. All the bolts are the same.

Lately I've been using Raybestos EHT1731H. They come with new clips where the inner pad rides. I have had some trouble with the outer pads lining up with the 2 holes in the caliper on a few cars, but for the most part they fit well. I'm not sure if it was the pads or the car that was at fault.
    Don't ask me how they brake, I don't drive these things enough to notice any difference between the other wagner pads we used to run.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I use the same pads on the 15's and 17's. Same pad size used on both, just the 17'+ place the pad further out and use a different rotor and caliper bracket. If you were to ever do a swap just source 2 caliper brackets and buy 2 rotors. All the bolts are the same.

Lately I've been using Raybestos EHT1731H. They come with new clips where the inner pad rides. I have had some trouble with the outer pads lining up with the 2 holes in the caliper on a few cars, but for the most part they fit well. I'm not sure if it was the pads or the car that was at fault.
    Don't ask me how they brake, I don't drive these things enough to notice any difference between the other wagner pads we used to run.
    That confirms what RockAuto list, too. When you click on EHT1731H brake pad # you get

DODGE ATTITUDE 2016-2018
    MITSUBISHI MIRAGE 2014-2018
    MITSUBISHI MIRAGE G4 2017-2018

My guess is 2019 is no different. Just not updated. Ironically some want to upgrade their 2014-15 brakes, but the brake pads themselves are no different here. Apparently the larger rotors are the difference.

Correct, just a slightly larger rotor. They don't even use a larger dust shield on the 17's. It looks odd, like they put bigger rotor on but it sticks out past the backing plate. Cheap b a s t a r d s!
    Last edited by Fummins; 07-12-2019 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Why is b a s t a r d blocked?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Correct, just a slightly larger rotor. They don't even use a larger dust shield on the 17's. It looks odd, like they put bigger rotor on but it sticks out past the backing plate. Cheap b a s t a r d s!
    It's also why 13" wheels will fit on a 2014-15 Mirage, but not a 2017+.

At least affordable brake pad options are available. Unlike TPMS, we may not need a 200+ posts for this topic!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I got my parts yesterday and installed them. I definitely notice more grab with the Raybestos Element 3 pads vs my old ceramic pads of unknown brand.

However they were a bit of a pain to install. The pins that go into the caliper just would not line up. I had to use a file and file them down to get it to seat properly.

Another thing I noticed is they must still need to off gas. I took a trip to bed them in and after only two stops they were very smelly. I drove for a while and came home. Once I parked, they were still smoking... I'm sure they'll wear in and be fine, but the initial impression was a bit of a pain.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    @Daox:
    on the last picture the pad is not seated correctly. That could make it drag and smoke. You might want to have another look.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-15-2019),Fummins (07-15-2019)