Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Car makes a weird wa wha wa wa whaaa when braking? Thoughts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The had them. Shop owner is honoring his original quote of $325 for two aftermarket front pads and resurfaced rotors and two OEM drums from the dealership.

Definitely earning your future business. If they want it, lol.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Well all done folks! Only took 6 hours and costed $336.00. The shop owner was pretty embarrassed, but it wasnt his fault, it was the lack of aftermarket parts available. The first two brake shoes didnt fit the rotor. The owner said he has never seen getting parts for a drum job as difficult as this one. Thank gawd this is the last time I mess with my drums, I dont care how bad the rears get. The wa wa waaah sound is gone, but its replaced now with a light whirring noise when I step on the accelerator. Lol, I give up.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Once again gentlemen, I thank you for the support!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well all done folks! Only took 6 hours and costed $336.00. The shop owner was pretty embarrassed, but it wasnt his fault, it was the lack of aftermarket parts available. The first two brake shoes didnt fit the rotor. The owner said he has never seen getting parts for a drum job as difficult as this one. Thank gawd this is the last time I mess with my drums, I dont care how bad the rears get. The wa wa waaah sound is gone, but its replaced now with a light whirring noise when I step on the accelerator. Lol, I give up.

Parts and labor, that doesn't sound too hateful. Glad you're back up and running! Let the brakes all seat in and see if the whirring goes away.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Parts and labor, that doesn't sound too hateful. Glad you're back up and running! Let the brakes all seat in and see if the whirring goes away.
    I thought it could be that, the new brakes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a feeling there was going to be a parts issue when you brought the car in for a brake job. Virtually every part on this car is special order. Pretty much the only thing you will find locally is spark plugs. I once called my local dealership to get a price on a clutch disk and even they said it was something they would have to special order!

It sounds like you found a good shop that worked a parts miracle! I was going to suggest ordering the parts from Rock Auto before hand, but since you had a job doing everything, I kept silent. Looks like I was right.

This brake work could have drastically turned out different. This is why I prefer doing my own work. You get to know what parts went on your car and whether or not there were any problems. Doing the front brakes are so easy even a cave man could do it. The rear drum brakes, I absolutely hate doing. I think I had a noise coming from my drum brakes that was easily resolved by cleaning things out with compressed air. I was planning to replace the shoes but they had plenty of meat on them and blowing out all the dust made my noise go away.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant. Glad to hear things worked out for you. You have a really good and honest shop! Next time you bring something to them, talk to them and offer to order parts for the car in advance from places like RockAuto and Mitsubishi to save them some headache and time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-16-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I had a feeling there was going to be a parts issue when you brought the car in for a brake job. Virtually every part on this car is special order. Pretty much the only thing you will find locally is spark plugs. I once called my local dealership to get a price on a clutch disk and even they said it was something they would have to special order!

It sounds like you found a good shop that worked a parts miracle! I was going to suggest ordering the parts from Rock Auto before hand, but since you had a job doing everything, I kept silent. Looks like I was right.

This brake work could have drastically turned out different. This is why I prefer doing my own work. You get to know what parts went on your car and whether or not there were any problems. Doing the front brakes are so easy even a cave man could do it. The rear drum brakes, I absolutely hate doing. I think I had a noise coming from my drum brakes that was easily resolved by cleaning things out with compressed air. I was planning to replace the shoes but they had plenty of meat on them and blowing out all the dust made my noise go away.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant. Glad to hear things worked out for you. You have a really good and honest shop! Next time you bring something to them, talk to them and offer to order parts for the car in advance from places like RockAuto and Mitsubishi to save them some headache and time.
    Thats what I should of done. I just thought something as common as brake parts would be available. Wheres the aftermarket parts? Hasnt a 100,000 units been sold since 2014 in the US market?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Thats what I should of done. I just thought something as common as brake parts would be available. Wheres the aftermarket parts? Hasnt a 100,000 units been sold since 2014 in the US market?
    RockAuto.com is a great resource. I wouldn't make to many assumptions on this car. I wouldn't expect to find a factory size tire stocked anywhere outside of a Mitsubishi dealership.

A large dealership like White Bear carries 5 different 165/65-14 tires (Dunlop Enasave, Bridgestone Potenza, Vredestein Quatrac 5, Dunlop Winter Maxx 2 , & Nexen N-Priz). I don't think you would find that selection anywhere else outside of a Mitsubishi dealership in that tire size.

This issue (lack of parts on hand) goes beyond tires I guess.

I am glad they honored their quote. They probably learned something today, too!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    RockAuto.com is a great resource. I wouldn't make to many assumptions on this car. I wouldn't expect to find a factory size tire stocked anywhere outside of a Mitsubishi dealership.

A large dealership like White Bear carries 5 different 165/65-14 tires (Dunlop Enasave, Bridgestone Potenza, Vredestein Quatrac 5, Dunlop Winter Maxx 2 , & Nexen N-Priz). I don't think you would find that selection anywhere else outside of a Mitsubishi dealership in that tire size.

This issue (lack of parts on hand) goes beyond tires I guess.

I am glad they honored their quote. They probably learned something today, too!
    That was the owners last words, that he learned something. Thats why Ive been going there for years. Good people. Ive already decided Im going the 175 65 r14 route when its tire time. I have Potenzas right now, front 2 are in good condition, the back, not so much.