Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Car makes a weird wa wha wa wa whaaa when braking? Thoughts?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The wind turbine noise is normal. At least 3 youtube reviewers of the Mirage I have seen mentioned it. I like the sound personally.

If it ain't broke, don't try fixing it. That's my opinion on the matter Dirk

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-12-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    The wind turbine noise is normal. At least 3 youtube reviewers of the Mirage I have seen, mentioned it. I like it personally.

If it ain't broke, don't try fixing it. That's my opinion on the matter Dirk
    You got a youtube link so I can compare? Im waiting to drive the G4 and see if it does the same thing?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    How did you fix it?

Sorry, dude. It was a joke. "Wa wa wa" was a catchphrase of a character on an old tv show called Happy Days.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You got a youtube link so I can compare? Im waiting to drive the G4 and see if it does the same thing?
    Might take a while, but I like watching youtube reviews of a car I own. So when I find it I will do my best to remember and post the video. I might forget.

Honestly my Mirage's motor sounds almost identical at all times to when I first bought the car new. I listen to the engine a lot, driving a stick shift it is what I do driving.

It's a bit of a tinny, off centre almost tone, like what people say about 3 cylinders. Winds down whiny

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Have you had your wheels off lately? If so maybe corrosion might make the whelp not sway properly to the hub. All our cars have steel wheels and haven’t really seen that problem on these ones. Except for one set of aftermarket Steel wheels we have that are not hub centric, they must be centered by using the nuts...

One other cause that’s more likely is rust buildup around the outside edge of the rotor. If a piece flakes off it’ll make a sound as the wheel rotates. The easy fix is take a mallet to be outside edge of the rotor and knock off the ring oh’ rust. I’ve done that on a car or 10.

If you’re hearing a loud jet noise that gets louder with speed I’d be looking at tires or wheel bearings. Wheel bearings are one of the few parts I’ve seen wear.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks

A vid I just took to better describe. Right when I stop at the Stop sign.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

A vid I just took to better describe. Right when I stop at the Stop sign.
    I think the sound is coming from your tire or brake area. Not sure if you're braking then in the video!? You know.

Maybe the numbers the mechanics quoted you for wear left on the brakes was being generous.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I think the sound is coming from your tire or brake area. Not sure if you're braking then in the video!? You know.

Maybe the numbers the mechanics quoted you for wear left on the brakes was being generous.
    The sound from when I was braking. If its just tire noise thats awsome, but if my rotors are warped that really sucks.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Have you had your wheels off lately? If so maybe corrosion might make the whelp not sway properly to the hub. All our cars have steel wheels and haven’t really seen that problem on these ones. Except for one set of aftermarket Steel wheels we have that are not hub centric, they must be centered by using the nuts...

One other cause that’s more likely is rust buildup around the outside edge of the rotor. If a piece flakes off it’ll make a sound as the wheel rotates. The easy fix is take a mallet to be outside edge of the rotor and knock off the ring oh’ rust. I’ve done that on a car or 10.

If you’re hearing a loud jet noise that gets louder with speed I’d be looking at tires or wheel bearings. Wheel bearings are one of the few parts I’ve seen wear.
    Yeah rotors are definitely rusty. I dont have a mallet. Could I try spraying it with something and wiping it off?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Well I took the G4 out and didnt hear the same noise or maybe just a faint hint of it. Her tires are Dunlops btw, mine Potenzas.