Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Car makes a weird wa wha wa wa whaaa when braking? Thoughts?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Car makes a weird wa wha wa wa whaaa when braking? Thoughts?

Hello distinguished gentleman! I have a technical question. When Im coming to a break my car makes a funny, light wa wa wa wa whaa noise and then stops when the car is at a full stop. I had my breaks checked out not too long along and the dealership said I had about 5k miles left on my pads. I hear no screeching nor grinding. I dont feel any weird vibrations in the wheel or in the seat, so I dont think its brake related. Could this be the eccentric weighted flywheel or just simply the noise every Mirage makes because of the loud engine/CVT? I cant remember how my lady's G4 sounds when coming to a break. As always thank you for any advice, caveats, funny memes.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Hello distinguished gentleman! I have a technical question. When Im coming to a break my car makes a funny, light wa wa wa wa whaa noise
    They said 5k left on your front brakes (presumably)...recently? Or 4999k's ago?

Like you're not gaining any time with those brake pads Dirk. Only getting to the point of vibrate-y no return. You need your brakes, discs especially on your Mirage. My Mirage's drums make a grinding noise sometimes but I live with it, and that's another topic.

For your situation eh Dirk, probably just gotta cough up the cash and brakes be changed.. with them being 90% used now. Am I right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had the same problem on a 1978 Chachi Arcola: wah wah wah!
    Last edited by AtomicPunk; 07-12-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Shot in the dark. Check your wheel nuts. I had a customer with a lexus that made a clicking noise under acceleration and moreso when cornering. Sounded exactly like a cv axle clicking. I was sure it was the one front axle. So they bought one and I went to install it in my garage. When I went to pull the wheel off only 3 nuts where there. I figured wth.... They were tight though and the wheel didn't seem to be flooping around. Before I started working on it I re installed the wheel and took it for a drive. Noise completely gone! Turned out the customer just installed their summer wheels and messed up big time. A combination of a rusty hub center and deep shank nuts incorrectly installed was the problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-12-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Shot in the dark. Check your wheel nuts. I had a customer with a lexus that made a clicking noise under acceleration and moreso when cornering. Sounded exactly like a cv axle clicking. I was sure it was the one front axle. So they bought one and I went to install it in my garage. When I went to pull the wheel off only 3 nuts where there. I figured wth.... They were tight though and the wheel didn't seem to be flooping around. Before I started working on it I re installed the wheel and took it for a drive. Noise completely gone! Turned out the customer just installed their summer wheels and messed up big time. A combination of a rusty hub center and deep shank nuts incorrectly installed was the problem.
    Are you saying check to see if all the wheels have the 4 lugnuts and if the center axle nut is rusty? Sorry Im a layman when it comes to this and yes you will have to explain to me like Im Dustin Hoffman from Rain Man lol.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    They said 5k left on your front brakes (presumably)...recently? Or 4999k's ago?

Like you're not gaining any time with those brake pads Dirk. Only getting to the point of vibrate-y no return. You need your brakes, discs especially on your Mirage. My Mirage's drums make a grinding noise sometimes but I live with it, and that's another topic.

For your situation eh Dirk, probably just gotta cough up the cash and brakes be changed.. with them being 90% used now. Am I right?
    No I have it in my Car fax app to replace the pads at 52k miles, Im only at 48k. Its notva screeching or grinding noise. There is no vibration either. Its a jet-turbine-sounding whine as the engine spins back down.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Sorry Im a layman when it comes to this and yes you will have to explain to me like Im Dustin Hoffman from Rain Man lol.

Hot water burn baby! And Rust makes noise and makes parts not fit together right.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    So I should pull off all my wheels like I changing a tire and then just put them back on?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I had the same problem on a 1978 Chachi Arcola: wah wah wah!
    How did you fix it?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Maybe pull the two front tires off first, put back on then go for a test drive?