Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Car makes a weird wa wha wa wa whaaa when braking? Thoughts?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Your mechanic told you the brake pads have about 5k miles left of life. That is an estimate based on ideal conditions. If you are having problems it is time to change the pads. The longer you ride with bad pads, the more likely you are to need new rotors.

Since you've kept driving on bad pads instead of just replacing them, it is possible the damage to the rotors is already done. I'd ether get the rotors turned or simply have them replaced when you get new brake pads and be done with it.
    Solid advice, its just weird its exhibiting none of the classic brake problem noises, no squeaking, grinding, no vibrations in the pedal or steering wheel. Just a light staccato whirring noise when breaking at light speeds. At first I just thought thats the weird turbine engine noise thats been noted when the engine is in deceleration, but after having everyone on here hear the noise the consensus is its probably break pads/rotors. I thank you all and will get it examined ASAP.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Can I check the wheels for pull/play if I only have one jack?
    I would have a mechanic look over your car. You could have two issues. Obviously, your brakes are near the end of their life. I would get them replaced. Is the sound coming from the side of the car that took the hard hit? You just hit something hard enough to bend a steel rim and lose a hubcap. I have to believe those jolts shorten the life of wheel bearings & other parts?

I wouldn't speculate to much & just have a mechanic look over your car. Paying for maintenance & car repairs comes with owning a car. Mechanics need to make a living, too.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I would have a mechanic look over your car. You could have two issues. Obviously, your brakes are near the end of their life. I would get them replaced. Is the sound coming from the side of the car that took the hard hit? You just hit something hard enough to bend a steel rim and lose a hubcap. I have to believe those jolts shorten the life of wheel bearings & other parts?

I wouldn't speculate to much & just have a mechanic look over your car. Paying for maintenance & car repairs comes with owning a car. Mechanics need to make a living, too.
    No the wheel bending was on my girl's G4. My hatch is the one with weird brake noise. Its confusing lol. I think Im the only one on here with a 2 Mirage household.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Yeah, you could do one side at a time. But given that you don't have a lot of experience, probably easier and safer to take them to an independent mechanic. You'll learn more as you go, I'm sure, because you seem to have a real interest in learning about your car.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How much was it to replace?
    It was a Scion Xa which shares bearings with the Toyota Yaris so the aftermarket is rich with affordable options. Local mechanic charged me 300 bucks and used aftermarket parts.

Rotational noises are tricky and you sometimes need all the clues you can gather. See if it does it in reverse. Jack the wheel up and see what happens when you spin it by hand. Also, while in the air, see if you can wobble the tire back and forth which may indicate a worn bearing. If its a front wheel can you lift both front tires, start the engine and let the tires spin under engine power and see if its reproducible with soft braking? After a long drive touch the wheel in various areas and see if its hotter than the others.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-13-2019),Eggman (07-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    You have two jacks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Sorry, Dirk. I think the sound is your CVT going out.
    I can't believe this one got by without more comments.

Really, you said what was on our minds.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I can't believe this one got by without more comments.

Really, you said what was on our minds.
    I saw the CVT post and kept my mouth shut because I drive a manual tranny. I'm a man.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I saw the CVT post and kept my mouth shut because I drive a manual tranny. I'm a man.
    You gosh darn right! Nobody holds a stick on a tranny like you amigo.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (07-13-2019)

Rotors are cheap. Can’t be much more than a tank of gas. I posted a pic of sone from a car with 400k km. There is no replacement interval. Change them when they’re grooved or warped. Sometimes resurfacing costs as much as new ones.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-14-2019)