Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Car makes a weird wa wha wa wa whaaa when braking? Thoughts?

How are you still up? Isn’t it like 5am or something there? lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I hate wheel bearing! My 5 hr side job is turning into a shart show. Broke a pinch bolt off inside the spindle on one side and the axle is seized to the hub on the other! Good times..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    How are you still up? Isn’t it like 5am or something there? lol
    Nah, its only 2am here in Atlanta. You up late working? Your a machine Fummins! Thanks for the advice. Im just going to have to let it ride for awhile and hope for the best. Quote I saw was up to $1000 to fix a faulty wheel bearing and that aint in the ole budget as of now lol.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Whats weird is there is no howling noise when I driving which is usually indicative of a bad wheel bearing. I just get the wa wa wa waaaa noise when I breaking from a slow speed.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Maybe pull the two front tires off first, put back on then go for a test drive?
    I believe it is either discs (you call them rotors) and/or pads related. It wouldn't hurt to take the fronts off inspect and a wire brush to clean. Then check. I had a Morris years ago that done my head in, a bit of elbow grease and Copaslip grease soon shut it up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    If you really think it's brakes, you can tell front from rear by applying the emergency brake lever. To me, it sounds like tires that are worn funny on a noisy, chip & tar road. That whine noise (which sounds like a roar to my ears) is there before you brake. Since I don't know the condition of your tires or the road you're on, I am thinking that's a bearing. No big deal, and you can replace it yourself. Don't worry about it. If it is a bearing, lift your Mirage. You might be able to tell which one it is by spinning your wheels by hand.

For what it's worth.
    Last edited by Eggman; 07-13-2019 at 09:22 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (07-13-2019),Dirk Diggler (07-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    If anyone out there wants to watch the quick vid and throw their 2 cents in, Im all ears. I just had the car inspected not 4 months ago and was told everything looked good except get new pads when I hit over 50k miles, Im only at 48k. Im very easy on the brakes and rarely drive over 30 miles a day.
    Sorry, Dirk. I think the sound is your CVT going out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I hate wheel bearing! My 5 hr side job is turning into a shart show. Broke a pinch bolt off inside the spindle on one side and the axle is seized to the hub on the other! Good times..

Did you try your BFH?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    If you really think it's brakes, you can tell front from rear by applying the emergency brake lever. To me, it sounds like tires that are worn funny on a noisy, chip & tar road. That whine noise (which sounds like a roar to my ears) is there before you brake. Since I don't know the condition of your tires or the road you're on, I am thinking that's a bearing. No big deal, and you can replace it yourself. Don't worry about it. If it is a bearing, lift your Mirage. You might be able to tell which one it is by spinning your wheels by hand.

For what it's worth.
    The noise only happens when I brake. I just was a little late on saying "there it is". Theres is no noise when Im cruising at all.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I believe it is either discs (you call them rotors) and/or pads related. It wouldn't hurt to take the fronts off inspect and a wire brush to clean. Then check. I had a Morris years ago that done my head in, a bit of elbow grease and Copaslip grease soon shut it up.
    Im going to try that today and the handbrake test Eggman mentioned.