Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Car makes a weird wa wha wa wa whaaa when braking? Thoughts?

If left too long it’ll take out the transmission

Last edited by Fummins; 07-14-2019 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Damnit I missed that other cvt comment ��

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    You gosh darn right! Nobody holds a stick on a tranny like you amigo.
    Dirk - It was more important that you pleased your "significant other" rather than Steve when you purchased your Mirage. We all know (at least I do) that you are not an anti-manual guy!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    No the wheel bending was on my girl's G4. My hatch is the one with weird brake noise. Its confusing lol. I think Im the only one on here with a 2 Mirage household.
    Now that I am on the same page & I am talking about the right car, I would still have this checked out by a mechanic.

If you don't know of a good local mechanic, this is your opportunity to find one. I just listened to your short clip. I was guilty of not doing that earlier. If I was told my brakes were at the end of their life recently & my car starting making that noise, I wouldn't think twice about scheduling a brake job.

I would get an estimate from a few places. When calling them, I would state & ask the following.

I would tell them that you suspect your front brakes are toast, & you will most likely need new brake pads & rotors. You may want to ask them to clean & inspect your rear drum brakes as part of the estimate, too.

Tell them you want to know what type of brake pads they use & if they come with some type of warranty?

How they answer your questions may help you decide where to go. You can look up their choice of brake pads. If they are good mechanic, they may ask you what type (cheap or more expensive) of brake pads you may want?

You may want to look at what is out there before calling. RockAuto.com would give you a feel for what brake pad options exist. If the question comes up, you may be ready to suggest something. This would allow them to give you a more accurate estimate, too.

You may be gentle on your brakes, but someone else has owned your car much longer than you. Your next set may last you much longer.

Once you get this taken care of, you can go back to worrying about your CVT, too!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Dirk - It was more important that you pleased your "significant other" rather than Steve when you purchased your Mirage. We all know (at least I do) that you are not an anti-manual guy!
    What good is a woman if she doesn't know what to do with a stick?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You have two jacks.
    You have two Mirages. At least I hope you picked up on that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Rotors are cheap. Can’t be much more than a tank of gas. I posted a pic of sone from a car with 400k km. There is no replacement interval. Change them when they’re grooved or warped. Sometimes resurfacing costs as much as new ones.
    Yeah Im going to get a quote from a trusted old ma and pa mechanic Ive been using for years. Its really worth paying a little more for an independent vs franchise mech to me. If he isnt an old grizzled vet of the Automotive Wars, I dont want him working on my ride.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You have two jacks.
    The G4 was parked at her mother's house unfortunately, bit of a drive.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Now that I am on the same page & I am talking about the right car, I would still have this checked out by a mechanic.

If you don't know of a good local mechanic, this is your opportunity to find one. I just listened to your short clip. I was guilty of not doing that earlier. If I was told my brakes were at the end of their life recently & my car starting making that noise, I wouldn't think twice about scheduling a brake job.

I would get an estimate from a few places. When calling them, I would state & ask the following.

I would tell them that you suspect your front brakes are toast, & you will most likely need new brake pads & rotors. You may want to ask them to clean & inspect your rear drum brakes as part of the estimate, too.

Tell them you want to know what type of brake pads they use & if they come with some type of warranty?

How they answer your questions may help you decide where to go. You can look up their choice of brake pads. If they are good mechanic, they may ask you what type (cheap or more expensive) of brake pads you may want?

You may want to look at what is out there before calling. RockAuto.com would give you a feel for what brake pad options exist. If the question comes up, you may be ready to suggest something. This would allow them to give you a more accurate estimate, too.

You may be gentle on your brakes, but someone else has owned your car much longer than you. Your next set may last you much longer.

Once you get this taken care of, you can go back to worrying about your CVT, too!
    Thank you Mark! I can always tell your in Education, the easy way you explain things. I wish I would of had you as a teacher in high school!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    What good is a woman if she doesn't know what to do with a stick?
    Didn't Confucius say that?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Yeah, you could do one side at a time. But given that you don't have a lot of experience, probably easier and safer to take them to an independent mechanic. You'll learn more as you go, I'm sure, because you seem to have a real interest in learning about your car.
    Im trying man, I swear. Its been great being the village idiot around here lol. Im learning alot and very grateful, thank you pimp!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (07-14-2019)