Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Car makes a weird wa wha wa wa whaaa when braking? Thoughts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Fummins if I took my tire off and spray the rotor with WD40 or something and wiped them off, you'd think that could help? I checked, all the tires had 4 lug nuts and both the front axle nuts were slightly rusty just as you predicted.

I would never spray wd40 on brake rotors. Go to AutoZone and buy a can of brake cleaner if you want to try that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

A vid I just took to better describe. Right when I stop at the Stop sign.

I've listened to your video about 10 times with headphones on. The high pitch wah wah sure sounds rotor/pad related. I suppose it could be early wheel bearing failure noise. I like eggman's suggestion of getting the front wheels in the air and checking them out. Here's a decent video on checking bearings from Scotty K. Feel free to giggle at the part where he says "whack off the brakes". He's a nut, but the info is solid.

https://youtu.be/wbsUTESwOMY

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I've listened to your video about 10 times with headphones on. The high pitch wah wah sure sounds rotor/pad related. I suppose it could be early wheel bearing failure noise. I like eggman's suggestion of getting the front wheels in the air and checking them out. Here's a decent video on checking bearings from Scotty K. Feel free to giggle at the part where he says "whack off the brakes". He's a nut, but the info is solid.

Thank you for listening so many times! Ill check it out!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks

Just checked out the vid. Yeah I think its more likely a rotor issue because I have no symptoms of roaring when Im driving at all, just the wa wa noise the second I touch the brake from a high speed. Im going to take it in to a regular mechanic I trust since my warranty just expired and I dont have to deal with the dealership anymore. Its almost liberating lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just checked out the vid. Yeah I think its more likely a rotor issue because I have no symptoms of roaring when Im driving at all, just the wa wa noise the second I touch the brake from a high speed. Im going to take it in to a regular mechanic I trust since my warranty just expired and I dont have to deal with the dealership anymore. Its almost liberating lol.

I could be wrong (been known to happen), but it doesn't sound like "second mortgage" type sound. Good luck, man.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    just the wa wa noise the second I touch the brake from a high speed.
    If your discs are almost worn out, might as well replace them now. No point in fussing about other worries like bearings etc. I am not in your shoes or situation either sorry --hard to say for anyone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    If your discs are almost worn out, might as well replace them now. No point in fussing about other worries like bearings etc. I am not in your shoes or situation either sorry --hard to say for anyone.
    How long are disc/rotors supposed to last on average? 50k miles?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks

Can I check the wheels for pull/play if I only have one jack?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    How long are disc/rotors supposed to last on average? 50k miles?
    Unfortunately, I think that's pushing it for disc lifespan. I have 117,000 km's on my 2014 Mirage, and have had the discs replaced around the middle mark of that time.

I could be wrong, I don't really know what to look for, and what is perfectly normal. I saw some pretty golden discs on a brand new, limited edition Mustang at the Ford dealer yesterday, and that car had no Km's on it yet, and was like $73,000 brand new so ya.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your mechanic told you the brake pads have about 5k miles left of life. That is an estimate based on ideal conditions. If you are having problems it is time to change the pads. The longer you ride with bad pads, the more likely you are to need new rotors.

Since you've kept driving on bad pads instead of just replacing them, it is possible the damage to the rotors is already done. I'd ether get the rotors turned or simply have them replaced when you get new brake pads and be done with it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-14-2019),dspace9 (07-13-2019)