Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torque converter missing bolt

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Torque converter missing bolt

Anyone think that missing a torque converter bolt is going to damage anything in the short term?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Welcome to the forum! Could you detail the missing bolt and if possible post a picture so everyone could have more information to provide you with a answer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's one of the four bolts that bolts the convertor to the flexplate. I don't have any pics because its bolted back together already. I'm planning on giving it a shot. Mitsubishi cant get me the bolt and it's not possible to find at a hardware store.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckw2 View Post
    It's one of the four bolts that bolts the convertor to the flexplate. I don't have any pics because its bolted back together already. I'm planning on giving it a shot. Mitsubishi cant get me the bolt and it's not possible to find at a hardware store.
    Is it one of these four bolts?

Name:  B6578D3C-7C29-4B3A-8E27-B3FFB42B8A8B.jpeg
Views: 2048
Size:  38.7 KB

You must have had CVT issues if you replaced the torque converter. If so then it might last forever or 1 day. It will depend on the amount of pressure that is applied during operation. It would be great if you could give us the background story.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't drive it like that for more than a few miles. It'll be out of balance and put a lot of stress on the flexplate.

I agree. I drive it unless I was being chased by dirk asking about my cvt. There's a good chance the flywheel will crack eventually. I might have a bolt if you are really stuck. But I wouldn't get a chance to send it out for a few weeks. I'd look harder, try a transmission shop, they probably have a bucket full of old torque bolts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    By the look of the pic inuvik posted, they're studs that look like part of the torque converter. Would this mean the installer broke one of the studs off???

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Nope. That means the picture inuvik posted isn't a Mirage transmission. I just double checked one I have on the floor. It uses bolts. OR maybe that was a pic of an early 14' model???? Or nissan or chev or

The starter mount is in the wrong spot too. Should be at the very bottom.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What happened, the bolt was broke on installation. The dealership cant get me a new bolt and any junkyard around that has the car cant guarantee that if I buy a new converter or flexplate that I'll be able to get the bolt. This car is still has a year of payments left until I can get a new car. Just need something to drive now.

And no the convertor doesnt have studs. It's a bolt I couldn't match at a hardware store. I bought a couple different packs of ARP converter bolts and I couldn't get anything to fit.

I was thinking with it being such a small motor, what like 80 hp? Thatd it would be able to hold up for awhile

I wouldn't be worried so much about the car having so much power it'd tear out the other three bolts or being out of balance. Lot's of gms only had 3 bolts but they were spaced out evenly. I'd be most worried about the plate being bent and not held straight by that last bolt. I can't think of a good example other than a wheel. Picture the bolts being spaced way further apart(towards the outside like the torque) and you're missing one. I wouldn't want to drive to long like that.
    It might be fine for a short time but the flywheel might crack around the crank eventually. I'm a crappy explainer maybe Mark or another grown up will be better off trying.