Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Federal SS-657 (165/65-14) - long term thoughts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looking at the tread, you wouldn't think they would be that good in snow, but it must be the combination of light weight car and skinny tires that does it. Oh, and low power at the wheels!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I've got 2 Kumho Solus TA-11 185/65-15's on my Versa that get rotated every 5K miles (75K mile tire). They've been on it approximately 20K miles and are still in nearly new condition. I've been so well satisfied with the Kumho TA-11 that I have 2 more new ones to replace the other 2 tires when they wear out. Over the past 30 or so years I've ran several sets of Kumho tires and have never been disappointed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 2016 Versa For This Useful Post:

Mark (06-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Seen any tire deals lately? I am looking for at least two. Will try the local tire shop I am loyal to this week. But, have been looking online. These arent the SS 657 but look like the best deal I have seen:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14335534168...evt=1&mkcid=28

165/65r14 Kumho Solus TA31 tires have been back & forth in-stock & out-of-stock on a daily basis lately. Prices have gone from $60.50 to over $80/tire. One minute Walmart is the supplier, the next minute they are using someone else. Same with can be pickup at the store or only sent to your home - it changes constantly.

Just my observation of these tires the past few days. If your local tire guys offer you a fair price on tires mounted/balanced, I wouldn't overlook that.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-11-2021 at 09:12 PM.

I use round black rubber tires on mine. They roll pretty good. Unless they're flat. When I run out of tires for the car it'll probably be time to give it to one of the kids.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I'm all in now. I met a forum member this morning and bought a fresh looking set of Enasaves from him and tonight I went to harbor freight and for $133 bought their manual tire changer and balancer. Will see how it goes.

I live over 30 minutes from a tire shop. We have four passenger vehicles, three trailers, a riding mower and four wheeler. So, if using it isn't terrible I feel like it ought to be a great deal. Considering, that we always have to drop anything off at the tire shop, it's always 2 hours in driving plus the time they do the work so this may be easier.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Casey For This Useful Post:

Mark (06-13-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I'm all in now. I met a forum member this morning and bought a fresh looking set of Enasaves from him and tonight I went to harbor freight and for $133 bought their manual tire changer and balancer. Will see how it goes.

I live over 30 minutes from a tire shop. We have four passenger vehicles, three trailers, a riding mower and four wheeler. So, if using it isn't terrible I feel like it ought to be a great deal. Considering, that we always have to drop anything off at the tire shop, it's always 2 hours in driving plus the time they do the work so this may be easier.
    Sounds good! I would like to hear your review of the manual tire changer & balancer some day.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sounds good! I would like to hear your review of the manual tire changer & balancer some day.
    Will do. I'm feeling pretty good about it after watching numerous YouTube reviews of them. I'm going to start by just balancing these tires already on wheels I bought today. This week I'll get the tire changer bolted down and use it to get the sensors out of my old tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts

The Harbor Freight tire changer works, but it's WORK. There is a technique to it that you will have to learn.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ave-experience

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The Harbor Freight tire changer works, but it's WORK. There is a technique to it that you will have to learn.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ave-experience
    Thanks for the link! I enjoyed reading through that. People's experiences sure run the gamut. My only experience is changing out my riding mower and small trailer tires with a couple of pry bars and ratchet strap. That was rewarding but a real PITA. Thanks for sharing your experience. Even if it's too much of a pain to do on the regular, I think I'm still happy with having the tools just in case.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Will do. I'm feeling pretty good about it after watching numerous YouTube reviews of them. I'm going to start by just balancing these tires already on wheels I bought today. This week I'll get the tire changer bolted down and use it to get the sensors out of my old tires.
    Wouldn't it be better to add the tire sensors before balancing the tires?

I programmed cloned sensors for my Mirage/Forester's winter set of tires last year. When I had them added to the wheels, I asked that they be rebalanced, too. One place did my Mirage set and the other did my Forester set. Both places charged me $30 cash (no slip made out) total for all 4 wheels.

I realize tire sensors don't weigh that much, but I would still add them before balancing my tires. I guess you can check that they are still balanced after adding the sensors, too.

I live 20 minutes or so from my local tire shops, but I don't usually consider it it a special trip to have tires done. It's usually a part of some other reason for being in town. I will drop off tires before doing some student driving lessons & just pick them afterwards. Since I have two sets of wheels, I seldom drop off a vehicle.

I am still interested in how well you like your Harbor Freight tools. A person can look for the best tire deals on line. Most prices include free shipping to home. It would be nice to double check tire balance when rotating or switching tires, too.

Last edited by Mark; 06-13-2021 at 03:59 PM.