Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Federal SS-657 (165/65-14) - long term thoughts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to add the tire sensors before balancing the tires?

I programmed cloned sensors for my Mirage/Forester's winter set of tires last year. When I had them added to the wheels, I asked that they be rebalanced, too. One place did my Mirage set and the other did my Forester set. Both places charged me $30 cash (no slip made out) total for all 4 wheels.

I realize tire sensors don't weigh that much, but I would still add them before balancing my tires. I guess you can check that they are still balanced after adding the sensors, too.

I live 20 minutes or so from my local tire shops, but I don't usually consider it it a special trip to have tires done. It's usually a part of some other reason for being in town. I will drop off tires before doing some student driving lessons & just pick them afterwards. Since I have two sets of wheels, I seldom drop off a vehicle.

I am still interested in how well you like your Harbor Freight tools. A person can look for the best tire deals on line. Most prices include free shipping to home. It would be nice to double check tire balance when rotating or switching tires, too.
    Well, I guess you're right. Now that I have two sets of wheels, it would be easier to just drop off.

The "new" tires are already on wheels without sensors and my sensors are in the old tires on wheels. I want to stop driving on the old tires with some Rot and sidewall damage ASAP but don't have time to go to town and get what I need to properly mount the tire changer. So, I'll just balance for now and when I get around to it remount with the sensors and balance again. That will give me some practice with the mounting system on the old tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And the newer tires and wheels should likely already be balanced.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Well, I guess you're right. Now that I have two sets of wheels, it would be easier to just drop off.
    Since your extra set of rims don't have any sensors, you most likely won't do that. Thus, you'll appreciate the tire tools @ home hopefully.

165/65r14 tires can be hard to get on short notice (seldom in stock locally), & it's nice having a full size spare on hand. I'd keep an old tire or two as back up. If you ever have to wait on replacement tires some day, you can used the full size spares without sensors in the meantime. The small donut spare also wouldn't have a sensor in it.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-13-2021 at 07:33 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    And the newer tires and wheels should likely already be balanced.
    They were most likely balanced with sensors. I highly doubt they did anything with the tires after pulling the sensors out. You can surely check them. You have the tool to do that with now. Sensors don't weight much. Do they make a difference? I don't know?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I busted the bead breaker on the Princess Auto manual tire changer changing some Jeep Wrangler tires, it was a cheap/flimsy design. My dad welded up an improved version for me. Hope the Harbour Freight one is a bit better. I used mine mainly for changing motorcycle tires ; PA used to sell a motorcycle tire adapter, and I picked up the No-mar mount/demount bar along with some Mojo blocks for the motorcycle adapter [so as not to damage the wheels], it worked wonderfully. Too old and clumsy for motorcycles now, at least I can admit it unlike some wobblers at the red lights and stop signs.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to craigq For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-14-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Since your extra set of rims don't have any sensors, you most likely won't do that. Thus, you'll appreciate the tire tools @ home hopefully.

165/65r14 tires can be hard to get on short notice (seldom in stock locally), & it's nice having a full size spare on hand. I'd keep an old tire or two as back up. If you ever have to wait on replacement tires some day, you can used the full size spares without sensors in the meantime. The small donut spare also wouldn't have a sensor in it.
    That's true. I would still have the sensor issue.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They were most likely balanced with sensors. I highly doubt they did anything with the tires after pulling the sensors out. You can surely check them. You have the tool to do that with now. Sensors don't weight much. Do they make a difference? I don't know?
    Apparently they did balance them after putting the original tires back on the old wheels. At least they checked out on the harbor freight balancer. I'll post more about it in the thread linked above by Cobra.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by craigq View Post
    I busted the bead breaker on the Princess Auto manual tire changer changing some Jeep Wrangler tires, it was a cheap/flimsy design. My dad welded up an improved version for me. Hope the Harbour Freight one is a bit better. I used mine mainly for changing motorcycle tires ; PA used to sell a motorcycle tire adapter, and I picked up the No-mar mount/demount bar along with some Mojo blocks for the motorcycle adapter [so as not to damage the wheels], it worked wonderfully. Too old and clumsy for motorcycles now, at least I can admit it unlike some wobblers at the red lights and stop signs.
    It seems some YouTubers have welded the base on the harbor freight changer to make it stiffer and added some cut up floor mat pads to prevent marring.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I disposed of my pair of 165/65r14 Federal SS657 tires (420AA UTQG rating) today. When I lost a factory Dunlop tire to a sidewall failure, I picked up these Federal tires (June 2018) for about $40/tire (simpletire.com) with free shipping. Overall, I have been very satisfied with the Federal SS657 (420AA UTQG rating) tires. If the price is right, I would have no problem recommending these tires. If one is comparing them to Dunlop Enasave tires, the price is alway right!

Since 2018, a few other 165/65r14 tire options (Nexen, Kumho, & Falken) have appeared. Thus, I look at tire ratings & pricing now.

165/65r14 Walmart tire prices today -

Federal SS657 (420AA) = $69.46
    Nexen N'Priz AH5 (460AA/50,000 mile warranty) = $76.98
    Kumho Solus TA31 (500AA/60,000 mile warranty) = $69.47
    Bridgestone Potenza RE92 (260AB) = $108.39
    Dunlop Enasave (340AB) = $150.99
    Falken Sincera SN250A A/S (320BB) = $70.73 (Not the Sincera SN250 A/S (720AB/80,000 mile warranty tire).

Since the Federal tires are no longer in that $40-50 price range, I replaced them with a pair of the Kumho tires this time. I paid $68.30/tire for the Kumho tires a couple weeks ago.

Walmart charged $14/tire (mounting & lifetime balance) & $1.50/tire for the disposal of my old Federal tires. Total bill was $31 with no extra charges today!

Would I still recommend Federal tires today? Most definitely!

At the same time, I would recommend looking at the prices of the Kumho & Nexen tires (better rating/warranty), too!
    Last edited by Mark; 07-05-2021 at 08:34 PM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Casey (07-05-2021),davidricardo86 (07-19-2021),Dirk Diggler (07-06-2021),Wil B (07-05-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The price of 175 65 r14 Barums have gone up to $50. I paid $37 for mine a year and a half ago.