Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Kilmer post killing the Mirage 2019

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Scotty looks like he would have crates of bottled water, shotgun shells, and cat food in his basement. Lol I kid. I will continue to advocate the virtues of owning a Mirage on youtube however. There's alot of folks on there enquiring about owning a Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    tl;dr

Like the Mirage, Scotty is not for everyone. No need to apologize any more for him.
    Not apologizing. Just sharing what I like about him. Just like I do with the Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Scotty looks like he would have crates of bottled water, shotgun shells, and cat food in his basement. Lol I kid. I will continue to advocate the virtues of owning a Mirage on youtube however. There's alot of folks on there enquiring about owning a Mirage.
    Between Scotty's comment & your rebuttal - Mirage sales will probably increase!

People who judge a Mirage harshly aren't truly interested in small, affordable, reliable, economy car. You won't change them. You may influence those observing the discussion, however! That is most definitely true!

Keep up the good fight Dirk!!!!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It sounds like you have very little experience watching Scotty Kilmer, & there is nothing wrong with that.

If you watch Scotty consistently, you realize his knowledge of cars is quite amazing. Unlike the regular car critic that may focus on the worthless features found on cars, Scotty addresses the more important things about a car. I have the total opposite opinion about car critics. The worst cars I have every owned are ones that were highly recommended by car critics & Consumer Reports. I own one now. Thanks to a class-action lawsuit lost by Subaru, I have an new engine in my 2011 Forester. Will I buy another Subaru? No!

After watching Scotty work on a Mini Cooper, I would never buy one. Changing something as simple as belt is a nightmare. After watching him discuss the issues with GDI engines (while working his customer's Honda CRV), I would not buy a GDI engine. At the same time, I haven't gone out & bought an old Toyota Celica either.

His videos are a mix of everything. Some are focused on one topic. Some are him answering people questions about buying a used car. He's tries to give sound advice. His advice is based on a mechanic's perspective after working on cars for decades.

I've learned some good things from watching him. For example - Buying cheap Chinese radiators is not a problem. Electronic items or things like a MAF sensor, you should stick with OEM. Going cheap there isn't worth it. I pick up all sorts of good advice. His goal is to help people save money and not make a poor invest on a car. He's wrong about the Mirage somewhat, & I won't argue that, however. Then again, most car critics are wrong on that one.

Just the other day, someone was told by the dealer they needed a rear window motor on Honda. Scotty opened the rear door, pushed the rear window button down on the front door while he hit the rear door with his fist. The window instantly came down. He then cleaned the window seals & lubricated them with silicone. The rear window worked perfectly fine afterwards. How much money do you think he saved that customer? What do you think I am going to try if I have a stuck window on my car?

If I wanted to buy a battery booster, I know which one is the best value. He's tried them all, & he's not afraid to say what's junk or good. Some of his clips aren't even him talking. It's someone else sharing their unique vehicle & why they like it.

Do I agree with everything Scotty says? No! Has Renault made Nissan better? Has Fiat made Chrysler better? I don't think so, and he's good at pointing those things out. JATCO does make junk for Nissan. Why spend your money on stuff like that? If you really want the car regardless, he recommends leasing it. Overall, most of his advice is quite sound.

Most of all, I am impressed with his knowledge about the technology in new cars. For someone who has been a mechanic for 51 years, he has not let technology get past him. He's also not afraid to say what new technology is poor or really unproven.

I don't have much respect for most car critics. If anything, I think car critics are part of the problem we currently have. They focus so much on useless features & convince everyone how important they are. Does anyone really need a $100,000 Chevy pickup? Apparently, Chevy thinks so, because they are making one. Scotty has really ripped on that, too!

I find Scotty very refreshing in today's car world!
    His knowledge of cars is quite amazing...TO YOU. He doesn't impress me at all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How is it possible for a mechanic that drives an old beater Toyota to not see the virtue and niche appeal of the Mirage?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    How is it possible for a mechanic that drives an old beater Toyota to not see the virtue and niche appeal of the Mirage?
    Because he is on youtube saying the Mirage wont last past 100k miles because of the CVT, 125K if its manual before it starts burning oil.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    His knowledge of cars is quite amazing...TO YOU. He doesn't impress me at all.
    That's good to know! Thanks for sharing that!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's good to know! Thanks for sharing that!
    You're welcome! Maybe if you ask him really nicely he will send you an autographed 'Scotty shirt'! That is, if he has time after working on every kind of car under the sun every day.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    You're welcome! Maybe if you ask him really nicely he will send you an autographed 'Scotty shirt'! That is, if he has time after working on every kind of car under the sun every day.
    I hope you feel better now.

Life's to short for this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I hope you feel better now.

Life's to short for this.
    Sorry. There was supposed to be a smiley in my last post someplace. If you enjoy what the man presents, that's fine by me. Although I can't imagine you think too much of his assessment of the Mirage?