Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kilmer post killing the Mirage 2019

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

New Kilmer post killing the Mirage 2019

Here we go again. Ive posted some rebuttals, back me up please!

https://youtu.be/AfHROFb-3K8

Last edited by MetroMPG; 07-19-2019 at 03:05 PM. Reason: (embedded vid)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post

I like Scotty Kilmer. I find him entertaining. I also feel he is quite knowledgeable about cars. I've learned some good things by watching his clips.

I don't agree with everything he says about all cars, & the Mirage would be a prime example of this. He generalizes things way to much. Mitsubishi no longer has a chance with him, because he really dislikes Renault. He feels Renault has been the downfall of Nissan's quality. Thus, the merger of Mitsubishi with Renault/Nissan will be seen as a bad move by him. I doubt anyone could say anything that would change his mind.

Given our love for pickup trucks, CUVs, & SUVs in our country, I don't expect many people to embrace the Mirage. I just feel sorry for them & move on. The Mirage may not be the best vehicle for everyone.

Those who value affordable, reliable, & economical little cars are more inclined to embrace the Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    I hope Dirk didn't hear Scotty's comments about the Jatco CVT...

Name:  scotty2.jpg
Views: 1813
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  scotty3.jpg
Views: 1853
Size:  86.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I hope Dirk didn't hear Scotty's comments about the Jatco CVT...
    Scotty slams the Jatco CVT 3-4 times a week on his newest clips. Any time Nissan is mentioned Jatco gets slammed. Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi don't stand a chance with him, but he is not fond of any CVT.

If the Mirage was priced like the Canadian market (base model is about $8500 MSRP in U.S. dollars), U.S. car critics would have to take note of that. Make it a $9500 MSRP car with A/C added, & it's still a great value!

Then again, Mirages are NOT selling like hotcakes in Canada.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-18-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post

I just left this on the video: "So, Misubishi's get older and burn oil. But GM's burn oil and Honda's get gas mixed in with their oil right off the lot and aren't mentioned....swing and a miss, Scotty."
    Last edited by AtomicPunk; 07-18-2019 at 12:41 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Actually, if you listen to what he says, he anecdotally states Mitsubishi has always built cheaper cars, and then talks about an older Mitsubishi burning oil (2004 Accords and 2010 Prius do the same). Then the obligatory slam on 78 hp. But that's it. Where's the exact problem list and failures on the current Mirage, Scotty? Judging by this forum, there isn't much. I think some people just can't get past the size and hp.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I just left this on the video: "So, Misubishi's get older and burn oil. But GM's burn oil and Honda's get gas mixed in with their oil right off the lot and aren't mentioned....swing and a miss, Scotty."
    He isn't wrong about older Mitsubishis burning oil. I have noted that myself, and commented on it here. The problem I have with Scotty is that he deals mostly in hyperbole, stereotypes, urban legends, "old wives' tales", and broad generalizations.

"Every Honda is this! Every Mitsubishi is that!"

As someone who has been working on all manner of cars for around 30 years, I can say I tend to agree with about 75% of what he says in any given video. Not good enough for me to bother watching. The guy is neither a fountain of information, nor a fountain of MISinformation.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    He isn't wrong about older Mitsubishis burning oil. I have noted that myself, and commented on it here. The problem I have with Scotty is that he deals mostly in hyperbole, stereotypes, urban legends, "old wives' tales", and broad generalizations.

"Every Honda is this! Every Mitsubishi is that!"

As someone who has been working on all manner of cars for around 30 years, I can say I tend to agree with about 75% of what he says in any given video. Not good enough for me to bother watching. The guy is neither a fountain of information, nor a fountain of MISinformation.
    Agreed. I pick and choose what to believe. Will this turn into a who likes or dis likes scotty thread again?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Agreed. I pick and choose what to believe. Will this turn into a who likes or dis likes scotty thread again?
    I am ambivalent about the guy. As far as I am concerned, he is just another semi-knowlegable guy on YouTube who talks a lot and waves his hands around. I'd rather watch others.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The only thing he was ever right about was owning a 90s Celica during the golden age of japanese reliability. Not sure if he mentioned the reliability of newer toyotas especially after 2005.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire