Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: What Small Cars Have You Owned (Compact and Smaller)?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pretty much missed out on the thread, but I used to own a 67 Renault Dauphine, 59? Morris Minor, 63 bug, 72 Fiat 128, and a 72 VW fastback. My 86 Renault Alliance is not compact enough to count I think.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou55 View Post
    Pretty much missed out on the thread, but I used to own a 67 Renault Dauphine, 59? Morris Minor, 63 bug, 72 Fiat 128, and a 72 VW fastback. My 86 Renault Alliance is not compact enough to count I think.
    Some have listed everything including vehicles like a Dodge pickup truck with a Cummins in previous posts. Thus, I wouldn't question the Renault Alliance.

I had to look up the Morris Minor. I don't believe I have ever seen one of those in person.

If anything, you probably did a good job of getting this thread back on topic!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for sharing your collection.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drive a 1990 Plymouth Horizon daily. I bought it on craigslist for $500 in chicago. It was listed for parts because the P/S return line had rusted through. I cut the dedicated P/S belt and drove it back to St.Louis with the gas the old guy had in the tank. I then removed all the P/S hoses and pump and plugged the ports in the rack with oil drain plugs. That was 120,000 miles ago. It has a lot of rust underneath. If I cannot fix the rotted right rear strut tower soon, I will have to put it down. I try to keep it under 60mph since I can look over my shoulder and see the tire bouncing and the sheet metal flexing but I usually hit 70-80 a few times a week. So if I stop posting suddenly you all know what happened.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-03-2021),MetroMPG (02-04-2021)

Wow! You win!

I haven't been in a Horizon since high school days (Omni, actually - friend's mom had a clapped out old one).

I can't remember the last time I saw one.

But I was always amazed at what a shameless rip-off it was of the styling of the Golf/Rabbit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Wow! You win!

I haven't been in a Horizon since high school days (Omni, actually - friend's mom had a clapped out old one).

I can't remember the last time I saw one.

But I was always amazed at what a shameless rip-off it was of the styling of the Golf/Rabbit.
    My wife (now ex) had a Plymouth Horizon when we got married in 1988. It has some quirks. Front windshield leaked at times. She tried to chalk it, but it stilled wasn't quite right. It popped out of third gear whenever you hit a bump in town. That was a bit annoying. Anytime the temperature dropped well below zero, the throttle would stick wide open. Our small town mechanic couldn't seem to change that one.

When Ford offered a $1,000 rebate on their $6,300 1990 Ford Festiva L manual, I convinced my wife to trade her Horizon for one. The guy selling us the new $5,300 Festiva didn't even bother to get out of his chair when making the trade. He gave us $850 for her Horizon, which made our new car purchase $4,450 + tax. I drove that Festiva for 14 years. Our other family car for most of that time was a 1989 Plymouth Colt Wagon DL (completely Mitsubishi except for the name plate).

There were some things that I really liked about the Horizon. I thought the seats were comfortable. Visibility out was good. I thought it felt very stable on the road, & it did ok in snow. I don't miss carburetors, because of that car. Ever vehicle since that one has been fuel injected.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-04-2021)

Yeah, the carbs they definitely didn't copy from VW. The Rabbit/Golf (I owned a succession of 6 of them) were fuel injected from 1977 onward, I think. That was the first FI model I owned - it was a revelation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Mark (02-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had this for a while from 2002-2006, a 1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max

I had this slice of heaven that I paid $50 for and fixed up, a 1991 Geo Metro:

I drove this for a few years, a 2015 Mirage:

I have this, when I need to move something or it's raining:

But of course for me, four wheels are secondary. I like weird motorcycles. Like this one, a Harley Davidson Street 500. You have a mental image of what a harley davidson is, and sounds like, and this bike wasn't it. It was small, it was dependable, had a modern overhead cam water cooled engine, about as noisy as a Mirage, with decent handling and amazing gas mileage. It was also about $6500 new. H-D stopped making them because their management are bleach-chugging imbeciles who want to attract younger riders, but don't understand that young people don't want huge bikes.

Last, but not least: my 2019 750 Street Rod. Corners like it's on rails, wheelie machine, reasonably fast, 9,000 RPM redline. It's been as dependable as any toyota and always stands out from other bikes.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

Basic (02-17-2021),inuvik (02-17-2021)