Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: What Small Cars Have You Owned (Compact and Smaller)?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Not to change the subject back to cars, but .....

So I've been admiring everyone's extensive list of cars. Last night I came across this lady in the West Bend (Milwaukee, Wisconsin). She's been driving the same car for 53 years. She happened to pick a classic car, however.

She bought a 1957 Chevy Bel-Air (cheaper Impala) for $2250. She does 1,000 mile oil changes. The car looks mint, & this is in Wisconsin where cars become rust buckets! Now, she doesn't drive a lot. 116,000 miles in 53 years = less than 2,200 miles/year.

"One Among Us: Driving the same car for 53 years"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwcRG2aEi3s

The clip is 8 years old. My guess is that she's been driving the same car for 60+ years now.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

itschad (07-27-2019),MetroMPG (08-07-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That is a really great video. I like it how she parks her car so far away from the entrance to her condo. She keeps trim walking!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    That is a really great video. I like it how she parks her car so far away from the entrance to her condo. She keeps trim walking!
    I like the part where she says, "I was raised during the depression, & we learned how to take care of things". I think driving the same car for 53 years proves that point!

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

So I've been admiring everyone's extensive list of cars. Last night I came across this lady in the West Bend (Milwaukee, Wisconsin). She's been driving the same car for 53 years. She happened to pick a classic car, however.

She bought a 1957 Chevy Bel-Air (cheaper Impala) for $2250. She does 1,000 mile oil changes. The car looks mint, & this is in Wisconsin where cars become rust buckets! Now, she doesn't drive a lot. 116,000 miles in 53 years = less than 2,200 miles/year.

The clip is 8 years old. My guess is that she's been driving the same car for 60+ years now.
    That is one plucky old lady, remarkable to have a car for so long and keep it in good condition. The style of the interior is very good, shame thar is now all gone. I'll put a King's Ransom on that no Mitsubishi Mirage will be around in 2072, but then neither will I.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

No way she drives that during the winter.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    That is one plucky old lady, remarkable to have a car for so long and keep it in good condition. The style of the interior is very good, shame thar is now all gone. I'll put a King's Ransom on that no Mitsubishi Mirage will be around in 2072, but then neither will I.
    Maybe not, then again I just did the math, and I have a great uncle who is over 90 and still drives. Toyota Camry's.

So if I make it to his age and still driving into my 90s..I just keep my Mirage, bam there's a Mirage on the roads 2072!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Maybe not, then again I just did the math, and I have a great uncle who is over 90 and still drives. Toyota Camry's.

So if I make it to his age and still driving into my 90s..I just keep my Mirage, bam there's a Mirage on the roads 2072!
    Hey, my neighbour, when in London, had a Camry. He went to Spain for some four months and asked me to drive his Camry regularly which I did, I quite liked the car, smooth powerful ride. He later changed it for a Honda Legend, which I preferred.
    These days I just cannot justify the expense of such cars. Indeed, the Legend would cost me £570 a year in Road Fund Licence.
    I think I'll keep my Mirage.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-28-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Hey, my neighbour, when in London, had a Camry. He went to Spain for some four months and asked me to drive his Camry regularly which I did, I quite liked the car, smooth powerful ride. He later changed it for a Honda Legend, which I preferred.
    These days I just cannot justify the expense of such cars. Indeed, the Legend would cost me £570 a year in Road Fund Licence.
    There's alot of retired people, here in the states, that drive for Uber to pass the time and make some spending money. Sounds like you got the personality to drive for a ride share. You ever thought about it? Considering you do have the perfect car for it.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    There's alot of retired people, here in the states, that drive for Uber to pass the time and make some spending money. Sounds like you got the personality to drive for a ride share. You ever thought about it? Considering you do have the perfect car for it.
    There's no way I'd drive for pound notes anymore. I was a private hire driver in London for years. Seen some horrible things, got involved with horrible things and straightened out horrible things. So no more of that as I'm way too old for all that now and not really in good health. Me and Uber don't get on either, well, one or two dozen drivers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-28-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    He later changed it for a Honda Legend, which I preferred.
    Honda Legend? I just looked on Google, and I guess the same car here in Canada is the Acura RL. Acura is Honda but rebadged as "Acura" and they have their own upscale dealerships, etc. I think Acura is a Canada/USA only brand.

A tax based on the type of car you drive? No thanks I think you get taxed more for everything in England.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

itschad (07-28-2019)