Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: What Small Cars Have You Owned (Compact and Smaller)?

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Honda Legend? I just looked on Google, and I guess the same car here in Canada is the Acura RL. Acura is Honda but rebadged as "Acura" and they have their own upscale dealerships, etc. I think Acura is a Canada/USA only brand.

A tax based on the type of car you drive? No thanks I think you get taxed more for everything in England.
    Taxed? Jesus Christ, everything in the UK is taxed. About 11 years ago they introduced a Road Fund Licence based on emissions.
    My 2010 Mitsubishi Colt 1.3 CZ2 Cleartec was pushing out 119g/km which was £30 to tax annually, my Mirage (like all others in the UK) pushes out 100g/km which was free to tax. As more people bought low emission vehicles the government realised they were losing money. In mid 2017 even the lowest emission cars are now taxed at £145 per annum. The car I would like to buy the Rover 75 2,5 litre V6 is £325 per annum. I just will not do it.
    This country introduced a Beard Tax and a Window Tax and that's the truth, grow a beard, you would have been taxed. Thankfully these do not apply now.
    Even tax on petrol is high, we pay around £5.86 for an Imperial gallon although the Imperial gallon is larger by volume than a US gallon.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Taxed? Jesus Christ, everything in the UK is taxed. About 11 years ago they introduced a Road Fund Licence based on emissions.
    My 2010 Mitsubishi Colt 1.3 CZ2 Cleartec was pushing out 119g/km which was £30 to tax annually, my Mirage (like all others in the UK) pushes out 100g/km which was free to tax. As more people bought low emission vehicles the government realised they were losing money. In mid 2017 even the lowest emission cars are now taxed at £145 per annum. The car I would like to buy the Rover 75 2,5 litre V6 is £325 per annum. I just will not do it.
    This country introduced a Beard Tax and a Window Tax and that's the truth, grow a beard, you would have been taxed. Thankfully these do not apply now.
    Even tax on petrol is high, we pay around £5.86 for an Imperial gallon although the Imperial gallon is larger by volume than a US gallon.
    Thats alot of money! Thank god the UK is kind of small compared to the states. Well then again on a geographic list of island sizes, the UK is actually huge compared to say Fiji. I always think that when I hear my UK friends say their country is small. Perspective is a funny thing.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Geographically the UK is quite small but there are approximately 68 million people living here. This does impact life in London where almost 9 million reside and a few million more commute into London daily. Whenever I go back to London (driving) it's a bloody nightmare and I can't wait to get out. The London Congestion charge is a two edged sword inasmuch central London is congested but now you can move but out of the city centre, Christ help us, is a nightmare.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Geographically the UK is quite small but there are approximately 68 million people living here. This does impact life in London where almost 9 million reside and a few million more commute into London daily. Whenever I go back to London (driving) it's a bloody nightmare and I can't wait to get out. The London Congestion charge is a two edged sword inasmuch central London is congested but now you can move but out of the city centre, Christ help us, is a nightmare.
    Quite small yes, but as far as islands go very large. I love hearing about wildlife making a comeback in the UK, especially in Scotland. I understand stags, wolves, badgers, and even bears are being reintroduced and thriving in some areas? With all the large beautiful natural forests in your country I think those species have a fighting chance. My personal favorite is the Scottish highland forest wildcat, which I think is an ancestor of my cat, Mr. Sprinkles lol!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Scottish forest cat

Name:  Acat.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  41.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    The second pic, Mr. Sprinkles

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Who happens to love riding in the Mirage! lol

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My 2010 Mitsubishi Colt 1.3 CZ2 Cleartec was pushing out 119g/km which was £30 to tax annually, my Mirage (like all others in the UK) pushes out 100g/km which was free to tax.
    Mirage just pays the basic fee like everyone. That is interesting. The Rover 75 eh? Different, my mom and grandmother who was born in Scotland, always drove British cars, and my dad is Dutch and didn't like Austins I believe. Not sure the model they had a few of them. And a 1983 Hyundai Pony! I remember that car.

Dirk reminded me there that I might be traveling your way one day UK and beyond, in a year or two, and I am not sure about renting a car!!

Travel plans (hopefully) is Ireland next year, and then the year after... do either London to Wales; or London to York and Scotland.

Right now I can fly to Dublin cheap from where I live in Ontario. I have been to Holland before, a few times.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...de-of-a-Mirage

This car simply amazes me sometimes too, very pet friendly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I just noticed you live in Paducah KY. I'm planning a road trip from MN to FL and I've mapped it out and Paducah KY is basically the half way point. So we may stop there. Is it a pretty safe place to stop off the fwy for a hotel?
    Oh Yeah! Paducah is a pretty sleepy little town really, nothing to be afraid of at all. Lots of good food too! Welcome!

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)