Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Fan

Hello guys.
    I don't know if this is how the fan should work but I notice switching on not too long after start up and then just keeps switching itself on every 6-10 seconds. Is this normal? I've had cars for many years with electronic fans and have never before experienced a fan to come on so much.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The radiator fan? If the car is at temp not that surprising, but I haven't noticed this personally. Just a shot in the dark maybe the thermostat signal has weak connections somewhere and fluctuates wildly, confusing the ECM?

Sounds somewhat like my window A/C. Gets down to temp, shuts off, 2 minutes later turns on for 5 seconds and shuts off for another two. So I just set it far below what I want and turn it on and off manually.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    These cars have very small radiators. If you are using the air conditioning, it would be completely normal for the fan to kick on every time the compressor engages.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

itschad (07-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    These cars have very small radiators. If you are using the air conditioning, it would be completely normal for the fan to kick on every time the compressor engages.
    I looked up average temps on West Yorkshire; July seems hottest at 66 degrees. Doesn't seem like a.c. would be on that much...unless always on defrost setting. Maybe original post will provide some more info...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

itschad (07-18-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Thanks Cobrajet, that explains it I tried today without a/c and no fan. Something I haven't heard before.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I looked up average temps on West Yorkshire; July seems hottest at 66 degrees. Doesn't seem like a.c. would be on that much...unless always on defrost setting. Maybe original post will provide some more info...
    Yeah temp about right but I'm one of those that hate heat. My a/c is always on, in summer it's always at 15 and not much higher come autumn or winter. A/C should be constantly on to keep all the seals working properly.
    Thanks guys.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Thanks Cobrajet, that explains it I tried today without a/c and no fan. Something I haven't heard before.
    When your AC refrigerant gets compressed by your aptly-named 'AC compressor', it gets hot. When that pressure is released, it gets VERY cold. This is how an AC system works. Ever held the button down on a spray can for a long time and felt the can get cold in your hand? Same principle, only in your car it is a closed system.

There is a part called the 'AC condenser' in front of your radiator, which looks like a small radiator itself. When hot liquid refrigerant under high pressure leaves your compressor, it goes straight to the AC condenser. It is here that either forward motion or the cooling fans remove the heat which was the result of the refrigerant being compressed. From there, it passes to what is called an 'orifice tube'. This is just a restriction in the line, and it acts like the nozzle on your spray can, turning the high-pressure liquid refrigerant (now cooled) from the AC condenser into a low-pressure gas. This gas, which is now VERY cold, goes to your 'AC evaporator', which is in your heater box behind the dash and also looks like a tiny radiator. Air blows through the very cold AC evaporator, and you get cold air from your vents. The refrigerant gas, now partially re-heated by removing the heat from your cabin, is then sent back to the compressor and the process repeats itself.

I guess the point of all this rambling is to say there is a reason your cooling fans are on when your AC is going!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Its definitely a noisy car sitting in park with the AC on. I hope the serpentine belts are of high quality in these vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Its definitely a noisy car sitting in park with the AC on. I hope the serpentine belts are of high quality in these vehicles.
    Tighten the belt a little if it's chirping with the ac on or noisy when you hit the gas. The belt should be pretty tight. But I learned only to tighten the belt once. When it gets noisy again just replace it.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Yeah temp about right but I'm one of those that hate heat. My a/c is always on, in summer it's always at 15 and not much higher come autumn or winter. A/C should be constantly on to keep all the seals working properly.
    Thanks guys.
    I think this quote is especially true of small cars - "Engine overheating or poor air conditioning performance can be caused by an engine or A/C condenser cooling fan that fails to come on. ... On many vehicles, there may be two fans: a main cooling fan for the radiator, and a second fan for the condenser. Both fans should come on when the A/C is on."

I've never heard of A/C having to be on constantly to keep seals working? If that is the case, my A/C is toast. I've heard of turning on your A/C ever so often (even during the winter months) to prevent the seals from drying out.

If I had to drive with the A/C on most of the time, I can't say that I would own this car. A/C is nice to have when you really need it, however.