Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to see real-time TPMS data in a Mirage (Huf ID1000)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Avgjohndoe View Post
    I need new TPMS and I have been putting off...
    Going with Redi-Sensors is a no-brainer. These are OEM quality sensors and more importantly...they are multi-protocol. So you will be able to use a device like the HUF ID1000 (which is super handy!).

Some of our cars are reaching the age where installing new TPMS sensors at a tire change makes sense.

A quick comment about the sensors you bought...

The Mirage uses a snap-in style TPMS sensor, which means the TPMS sensor clips on to the end of the tire valve inside the wheel. You bought clamp-in sensors. They install a different way on the wheel, but either style will work on your car. I'm just pointing out the difference for anyone reading this. The model numbers are very similar...

Name:  sensors.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  75.9 KB

Let us know how your installation goes. Hopefully Discount Tire will not have a problem performing a TPMS re-learn on your car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In regards to cheap tires, since 2014 I've run the Walmart Douglas all seasons on my old POS beater Toyota Corollas.
    I don't know that they got more than 30,000 miles, but that's on a car with suspension that needs to be replaced and thus needs an alignment. And it's not like I was keeping track of the mileage you're on those Vehicles anyway.
    At $400-$1000 a piece I was running them into the ground while I learn cars break and how to fix them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

A quick comment about the sensors you bought...

The Mirage uses a snap-in style TPMS sensor, which means the TPMS sensor clips on to the end of the tire valve inside the wheel. You bought clamp-in sensors. They install a different

Name:  sensors.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  75.9 KB

My heart was thumping so hard there. I had not realized I bought a different variant.

During the checkout process at Amazon I lost connection and the page refreshed.
    Since Amazon uses its data mining to adjust prices proactively my cart went from $263 up to $28~. I went swapping thing around finding cheaper versions of the same items and mist have overlooked it.

I will let y'all know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Avgjohndoe For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You'll have to let us know how the Barums work out for you. I would be hesitant to go with the cheapest tire possible as I've heard too many stories here about problems with cheapies.

Best wishes.
    Barum tires from Discount Tires get decent reviews. Unlike cheap Chinese tires, these tires are made in the Czech Republic by a company that's been in Europe for over 70 years.

Dirk has these same tires from Discount Tires, & he seems happy with them. Just because you pay more for something doesn't always mean it is better. I've only had one tire fail (sidewall blow out) on me over the years, & it was an expensive Dunlop Enasave tire.

I believe these tires were $38/tire last year. Now Barum tires (40,000 mile warranty) are $47.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  20200326_154205.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  93.4 KB
    Last week, in Prairieville Louisiana
    The price changed again just after I placed the order

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  20200326_154205.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  93.4 KB
    Last week, in Prairieville Louisiana
    The price changed again just after I placed the order
    That a great price for them. It's amazing how tire prices fluctuate sometimes. At that price ($34/tire), those tires are a great deal. $136 for a complete set of tires. $136 wouldn't get your more than one Dunlop Enasave tire.

At $47+ price I saw today for the Barum, I would start considering other choices, too.

Looking at 175/65-14 tires surely gives a person options compared to factory size 165/65-14 tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I bought this car it had a set of aspen touring 185/65/14 86h on it.

Just left discount tire.
    The receptionist warned me before I paid but after the car was in the bay they may not be able to program the tpms. Being informed by this community it is an issue I was prepaired for it not working but they had all the same info then, in their computer, as when I talked to them over the phone last week and just before I made the trip over.
    It just seems like something they should be telling people.

Anyway great experience at that shop, quicker and better than Wal-Mart and loads better than some of these local shops. Nice big bay window to watch them work. Didn't take 20 mins from the time I pulled in to the parking lot to pulling out.

Unfortunately I still have a beeping blinking dash light. But I do have my data on the usb dongle.

I also did check and the VID REDI-sensor site does have the SE1001HP on their approved list for 2014 mirage.
    IDK that I will spend the money at the dealership I might follow the guide on here to turn it off.

[FONT=Courier New]Just wanted to edit in I put 24 miles on my car going to Firestone and got the lifetime alignment so with regular trips for a fresh alignment I oughta be able to provide fair details on the life of these tires/FONT]
    Last edited by Avgjohndoe; 03-31-2020 at 08:21 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Unfortunately I still have a beeping blinking dash light. But I do have my data on the usb dongle.
    Here's why I think Discount Tire was unable to register your new sensors. I own the same TPMS tool that Discount Tire was probably using on your car...a Bartec Tech400. I have been struggling with this problem on my own Mirage for a couple of months!

Based on my own testing...I have come to this conclusion...

You can't perform a TPMS re-learn in a Mirage with any tool if you have a flashing TPMS light.

There's only 1 set of circumstances that will make the TPMS light stop flashing on its own without having to go to the dealership...

1. The TPMS computer is functioning properly
    2. The computer doesn't "see" the 4 sensor IDs it has registered because 1 or more sensors are inoperable/missing
    3. You replace the inoperable/missing sensors with functioning sensors with the same sensor IDs already in the computer

For example... Guys who have winter wheels/tires with no sensors run all winter with the TPMS light flashing. Then in the spring, they re-install their summer wheels (with the original TPMS sensors in them) and the light suddenly stops flashing the first time they drive the car.

In your case, you have 4 new sensor IDs you need to register in the TPMS computer. But here's the catch with Mitsubishi that we have not known before. If the TPMS light is flashing for any reason, the TPMS computer sees a problem and one or more TPMS troble codes have been set in the computer. The only way to get that light to stop flashing is to have a dealer clear your TPMS codes and then do a TPMS relearn. Even though you have 4 brand new sensors that work properly, the TPMS tool can't perform the process because of the error codes in the car's computer. A $2000 Bartec TPMS tool cannot erase TPMS codes in a Mitsubishi Mirage.

I have been in this situation twice with my car in the last 4 years. Every time someone (other than the dealer) has tried to do a relearn in my Mirage (and my TPMS light was flashing at the time), it never worked. Discount Tire was able to do a successful relearn in my car once...but when I went in that time, my TPMS light was not flashing.

I currently have a flashing TPMS light in my Mirage, but all of my sensors are registered and functioning properly. I am unable to do a TPMS relearn in my car. I even had Discount Tire try their tool...and theirs also failed. My expensive TPMS tool is a worthless brick because the Mitsubishi computer won't allow me to do anything until the TPMS codes are cleared.

I just figured all of this out recently. I can't say it's 100% certain...but I'm pretty confident that this is what's going on. My car will have to go back to the dealer one more time. I hope to be able to talk to the tech about it when I go.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 03-31-2020 at 08:12 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Avgjohndoe (03-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The Altel MaxiTPMS we have at work can clear codes related to the TPMS (dunno about mitsu though, because afaik there are none in the fleet). Does yours not, or does it need something special from the dealer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    In your case, you have 4 new sensor IDs you need to register in the TPMS computer. But here's the catch with Mitsubishi that we have not known before. If the TPMS light is flashing for any reason, the TPMS computer sees a problem and one or more TPMS troble codes have been set in the computer. The only way to get that light to stop flashing is to have a dealer clear your TPMS codes and then do a TPMS relearn. Even though you have 4 brand new sensors that work properly, the TPMS tool can't perform the process because of the error codes in the car's computer. A $2000 Bartec TPMS tool cannot erase TPMS codes in a Mitsubishi Mirage.
    Does your TPMS light remain flashing?

When I have my winter tires (no sensors) on, the TPMS light flashes for 20-30 seconds & then goes solid light on for the remainder of the drive. I took my snow tires off last week. About a mile down the road, the system recognizes the sensors are back (TPMS dash light goes off for good). Everything is back to normal.

I am just asking if there is a solid TMPS warning vs. a blinking TPMS warning?

I haven't taken the time to look up the exact post, but Steve (cheap plastic car) had a missing/broken sensor for over a year (TPMS light on). When he bought his last set of tires from Walmart, they balanced/mounted his new tires and added his new sensors for all four wheels. Discount Tire was able to program them for him, but it required jumping through some extra hoops. Do you remember that discussion?

I looked it up for you -

262,242 miles TPMS issue is now resolved.

I dropped by Discount Tire this morning in Prairieville, Louisiana and was greeted by a nice guy named Rob.

Rob assigned one of his techs to me that said my cable would not be necessary. He tried starting the car with his programmer installed and the car would not start. I suggested we try my Mitsubishi adapter cable and the car still would not start. We then unplugged his Bartec 400 and my car started up. He plugged the cable back in and the car died. The tech tried programming my car with the key in the ON position using my cable and was not successful. He gave up and asked Rob to take over.

Rob took good care of me. He looked something up on a computer, hooked up his Bartec 400 programmer to my cable and put the car in learn mode with the key in the ON position without the engine running. Then Rob took a second Bartec 400 and walked around the car using the second Bartec 400 to trigger each sensor. I stood next to the tool plugged into the ODBII port and watched it learn each sensor.

Rob verified the TPMS sensor was no longer lit and asked me where I got the Mitsubishi adapter cable. I told him it came from Advance Auto parts and he suggested I return it as he believe the cable was not necessary for the reprogram.

According to Rob, as long as you are using a newer Bartec tool and have two (one for relearn and one to trigger the sensors) then the adapter cable is not necessary.

Rob didn't charge me anything for the TPMS release. I thanked Rob for his assistance, kept the Mitsubishi cable and gave him a $20 tip.

So now everything is fine and dandy. Now I am debating whether or not I want to keep the cable (I believe it is necessary). If I keep the cable, I know I can get TPMS programmed at Discount Tire next time I get a new set of sensors.

If I return the cable (or sell it on here) then I am faced with having to spend money on a cloning tool. Choices choices.

I'll say this though. I feel like I am driving a new car now that I don't have that warning light on the console. I've been staring at that stupid TPMS light for at least 160k miles until today. I am a happy camper. I just need to figure out how I want to prepare for the next time I need my sensors replaced.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Avgjohndoe (04-01-2020)