Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How to see real-time TPMS data in a Mirage (Huf ID1000)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Does your TPMS light remain flashing?
    It flashes for the first minute and then remains solid...which indicates the TPMS computer sees a problem with something.

Thanks for reminding me about Steve's situation. It sounds like he would have had a flashing TPMS light as well (there goes my theory?). I haven't been posting about it but I have been beating my head against a wall with this Bartec tool trying to get it to work on my car for a couple of months. I'm pretty sure their tech support knows who I am when I call. I have given up. The only reason I haven't gone to the dealer is that I'm waiting for all of the COVID restrictions to die down.

...I took my snow tires off last week. About a mile down the road, the system recognizes the sensors are back (TPMS dash light goes off for good). Everything is back to normal.
    Thanks for confirming that. I wasn't 100% sure that's how it worked...but I thought someone had mentioned that before. It's good to know that just getting the original sensors back on the car will solve that problem.

...hooked up his Bartec 400 programmer to my cable and put the car in learn mode with the key in the ON position without the engine running. Then Rob took a second Bartec 400 and walked around the car using the second Bartec 400 to trigger each sensor. I stood next to the tool plugged into the ODBII port and watched it learn each sensor.
    Yep...that's how it's supposed to work. I have done this very procedure on my car at Discount Tire...but I didn't have any TPMS trouble codes at the time. My own tool was almost able to get this done...but it always blows up before it completes the process...and now it won't even get that far. Cobrajet has the same tool and the same situation.

According to Rob, as long as you are using a newer Bartec tool and have two (one for relearn and one to trigger the sensors) then the adapter cable is not necessary.
    That is absolutely true. Bartec's latest tool (Tech 400 Pro) has all the Mitsubishi stuff built into the tool...so it doesn't need the additional cable.

Unfortunately for me, I took my car to my local Discount Tire last month and 3 of us tried every trick in the book with their Tech 400 Pro tool...and nothing worked. I've been on the phone with Bartec customer support and they have even sent me new software for my tool. But they admit that a flashing TPMS light might be a problem (they really weren't sure). I could sense the lack of confidence in the customer support guy's voice as soon as I told him I was working on a Mitsubishi...LOL. They were helpful...but it's pretty evident that they really don't test these things on every specific make and model under all conditions.

There could be something going on with my TPMS system. I was able to read my TPMS codes. None are fatal errors...but a couple of error codes I have aren't even in the service manual! That's probably not a good sign.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    The Altel MaxiTPMS we have at work can clear codes related to the TPMS (dunno about mitsu though, because afaik there are none in the fleet). Does yours not...
    Correct. My tool can read codes but it can't erase them. There are multiple manufacturers I've run into that advertise that their tools work with late model Mitsubishi cars, then you plug one into a Mirage and they don't. I have ripped a couple of tools on Amazon that are no longer there. I don't know if my flaming reviews had anything to do with it. I hope they did.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Nobu (04-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    According to Rob, as long as you are using a newer Bartec tool and have two (one for relearn and one to trigger the sensors) then the adapter cable is not necessary.
    Had a Rob when I went to that same store. He was helping some other customers. The guy that was working with me said to do the relearn process "we would need a special cable and spend a bunch of money on tools".

. . . . .not that it's really any new or useful information but allegedly we have two guys at the exact same store with both of them in the building one saying we can do it the other saying not so.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Avgjohndoe View Post
    Had a Rob when I went to that same store. He was helping some other customers. The guy that was working with me said to do the relearn process "we would need a special cable and spend a bunch of money on tools".

. . . . .not that it's really any new or useful information but allegedly we have two guys at the exact same store with both of them in the building one saying we can do it the other saying not so.
    If you read Steve's post, Steve bought the expensive cable for them. Someone who knew what he was doing did the job without the expensive cable. The expensive cable wasn't used, & the job got done.

I am not surprised your TPMS don't work. It's a very common theme for the Mirage.

Steve shared how it's done with two tools. I would share that with Discount Tire, but that's me!

The bottom line: Companies that sells & install tires for a living can't program new sensors ID's to a Mirage that easily. That sucks! Seriously, it shouldn't be that way. There's no excuse for that!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    With the Autel, for Tahoes you scan all the sensors and then it writes the IDs via the ODBII port, for Explorers you have to fiddle with the ignition and brakes to put it into relearn mode, then trigger the sensors, for dodge you have to cross your fingers and pray...

From what you guys are saying, the tool has to put it into relearn mode, and then you manually trigger the sensors (almost like an explorer)? That's sketchy...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    From what you guys are saying, the tool has to put it into relearn mode, and then you manually trigger the sensors...
    Yes...that's absolutely the only way the Bartec tool can do it in a Mirage. You need the Bartec tool connected to the OBDII port to put the vehicle into learn mode...then you need a second triggering tool to trigger each sensor. They call this an OBDII Assisted Relearn. Mirage sensor IDs are not written into the computer through the OBDII port with the Bartec tool.

A special cable for Mitsubishi was only required on older model Bartec tools. Their newest model has the Mitsubishi functionality built-in. Even the newest Bartec tool will not work on my car.

That's sketchy...
    No...that's Mitsubishi TPMS. I've burned up a lot of tech support time with the Bartec guys. In the end even Bartec told me "you should take it to the dealer." If I had paid a lot of money for this tool, I would not be a happy customer right now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I sort of cringe every time the topic of TPMS comes up concerning the Mirage. It sort of justifies buying a $125 tool & cloning $30 sensor yourself. Everyone's situation is different, but I change tires on two vehicles twice a year.

Having snow tires that are cloned to my summer tires still makes the most sense. When I change tires on my Mirage & Forester in the fall & spring, the vehicle would recognize the same four codes.

Even if I owned an expensive tool that could reprogram both of my vehicles, I wouldn't want to do it that way. If my tires are cloned, I change wheels & do nothing else. If a sensor dies, I clone a new one to the dead one. Even if I don't know the code, it's stamped on the sensor. Just give the replacement one the same code as the dead one. Clone-able sensors aren't really more expensive.

I am not interested in having an argument with Eggman over this, but I have no desire to ever change the TPMS codes in my vehicles. I would rather use the ones already there, especially since I use extra tires at different times of the year anyways.

Paying a lot of money for a tool that won't do the job would frustrate me. Buying a cheap tool that will accomplish what I want still sounds much better to me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...I have no desire to ever change the TPMS codes in my vehicles. I would rather use the ones already there..
    In 99% of the cases involving a Mirage, cloning is the better way to go. I want to use a HUF ID1000 to see my real-time tire pressures, so I can't use clone-able sensors.

I accidentally inflated one of my tires to 60 PSI a few months ago. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it...but I think ever since that happened it has caused my TPMS light to flash. Even though I have 4 working sensors and the computer knows the sensor IDs...something still isn't right. Over-inflating the tires does not cause the TPMS light to flash in a Mirage. I've run close to 50 PSI in my tires for years with no issues. But I'm starting tho think that 60 PSI was so far out of range, that the TPMS computer flagged it as a fatal problem and now I'm stuck.

So as soon as we are free to move about the country, I will light another $100 on fire and have the dealer fix it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you read Steve's post, Steve bought the expensive cable for them. Someone who knew what he was doing did the job without the expensive cable. The expensive cable wasn't used, & the job got done.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post

. . ., hooked up his Bartec 400 programmer to my cable and put the car in learn mode with the key in the ON position without the engine running. .
    I told him it came from Advance Auto parts and he suggested I return it as he believe the cable was not necessary for the reprogram.
    Top_Fuel seems to have had the experience that did not require the cable though I feel certain it was not in Prairieville, Louisiana.

Steve shared how it's done with two tools. I would share that with Discount Tire, but that's me!
    I dropped by Discount Tire this morning in Prairieville, Louisiana and was greeted by a nice guy named Rob.
    That was the store I was at. There is only the one discount tire in Prairieville, Louisiana I am aware of and it seems awfully coincidental to have two Rob's working there or it be a new Rob but By no means is it definitive that it is the same guy.

Assuming it is the same rob, it is just simple inefficient communication within the store, as is common in every work environment I've been in.
    Just a real world example of Chinese whispers or telephone. Again Assuming it was the same rob and assuming Top_Fuels experience is an accurate representation.

All that being said I intend on driving back over that way and putting the two tool system to the test with them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Avgjohndoe View Post
    Top_Fuel seems to have had the experience that did not require the cable though I feel certain it was not in Prairieville, Louisiana.

That was the store I was at. There is only the one discount tire in Prairieville, Louisiana I am aware of and it seems awfully coincidental to have two Rob's working there or it be a new Rob but By no means is it definitive that it is the same guy.

Assuming it is the same rob, it is just simple inefficient communication within the store, as is common in every work environment I've been in.
    Just a real world example of Chinese whispers or telephone. Again Assuming it was the same rob and assuming Top_Fuels experience is an accurate representation.

All that being said I intend on driving back over that way and putting the two tool system to the test with them.
    I wish Steve would notice this thread for you. I would surely share what Steve has shared with them. If my memory serves me correctly, Steve made two trips to them before they got it to work. In his case, Discount Tire did all this for free even though he bought his new tires & sensors elsewhere. Steve had Walmart mount/balance/add new sensors. I thought that was very nice of Discount Tire to help him out. Top Fuel has good things to say about them, too. I just don't live near a Discount Tire.

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!