Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to see real-time TPMS data in a Mirage (Huf ID1000)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I have been looking for a TPMS retrofit device for one of my older cars. There are a lot of "unique" retrofit products out there...like small TPMS sensors that screw onto the end of the valve-stem on each wheel.

I wouldn't want any part of something like that, but I could see using the ID1000 as a retrofit device. If the factory system was as friendly as this thing, there would be a lot fewer complaints.
    Noticed a review of outside valve stem sensors. These units are cheap & superior to what the Mirage has. Not really sure what the knock would be?

You screw them on your valve-stem & the device gives you the air pressure of each tire. If you rotate tires, you just move the pressure reading caps to the correct wheel. They are marked for each tire location. This is so simple!

A 5-year old could install this system on any car!

When a factory sensor dies, you have to buy a new sensor and pay a tire shop to install it. What a pain! If you don't clone the sensor, you may have to pay someone to have your car reprogrammed.

These outside units have watch batteries in them. When the battery dies, you can just change them yourself. For $40-50, you have a system that will give you the psi of all four tires. You don't have to pay anyone to install a sensor or pay a dealer to reprogram your car's TPMS. We talking about $40-50, screw them on your valve-stem, & you are done. Some use the 12V outlet to give the psi reading, some use a solar panel unit, & some come with both options.

Just an option some may want to consider. You could use this along with your existing TPMS, because it's a stand alone TPMS.

If you need a visual of how this all works, good ole Scotty has one below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33QPO8fqKZc

The point is a child could do this. It's cheap ($40-50) & it involves zero tools that you need purchase! This could be added to any car from any time period.

Last edited by Mark; 10-06-2019 at 04:26 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (10-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I'm not sure the outside valve stem mounted pressure monitor would be my first choice. I would expect it to throw off the tire's balance & be easily stolen. Besides, I think the money would be better spent on a gauge. But that's just me.

I think Top_Fuel's system is a pretty good idea for those who are so inclined. It's a pretty clever setup if you ask me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If you want to keep the instrument panel TPMS warning light off and use this device, then you would need to do a TPMS re-learn/registration every time you swapped wheels.
    Can't you just put the original 4 sensors in the trunk, with a small modification to let them think there's enough pressure, and install 4 new sensors, and this device?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm not sure the outside valve stem mounted pressure monitor would be my first choice. I would expect it to throw off the tire's balance & be easily stolen. Besides, I think the money would be better spent on a gauge. But that's just me.

I think Top_Fuel's system is a pretty good idea for those who are so inclined. It's a pretty clever setup if you ask me.
    I totally agree Eggman! Carry a good tire gauge in the car. Cheap & easy!

I only put this out there as a cheap option. They do have a system that sort of locks them on the valve stem. Not sure valve stem theft is popular, and they are useless without the unit to go with them. The entire system is only $40. You can spend that on one sensor. This doesn't require scanning tools of any sort, but it's not going to eliminate a TPMS light on your dash being on either.

I highly doubt you they would throw your tire balance off, but that could be rechecked. If that's the case, I take back a 5-year old child could add these.

I dislike TPMS. My dash light is on all winter. I think of it as - my snow tire light indicator!

I just added this option to this thread, because someone else may want to consider these. Personally, I would only spend money on sensors that can be cloned to the car's existing codes. If you run two sets of tires on your car, I still feel this is the best option.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Can't you just put the original 4 sensors in the trunk, with a small modification to let them think there's enough pressure, and install 4 new sensors, and this device?
    I think the sensors are activated by motion, like when mounted on a wheel assembly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Noticed a review of outside valve stem sensors. These units are cheap & superior to what the Mirage has. Not really sure what the knock would be?

You screw them on your valve-stem & the device gives you the air pressure of each tire. If you rotate tires, you just move the pressure reading caps to the correct wheel. They are marked for each tire location. This is so simple!
    I have them installed in 2016 .. still working.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post47201

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sticky note, Black magic marker on sticky part , tear off a piece large enough to cover light and done.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    I have them installed in 2016 .. still working.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post47201
    The nice thing is that they would work on any car. If a person uses two sets of tires, you can switch sensors very easily. Add air to your tires and put the sensors on afterwards. No need to buy 8 sensors, because 4 will do the job. Rotate tires & move the sensors to correct spot. Simple!

If knowing your tire psi is important to you, these are worth considering. If you sell your car, you can take the sensors off and put them on the next car. $40!!!! Makes all the money spent on TPMS scanning tools & expensive sensors that need to be replaced when they die seem a little silly to me.

Good to hear they have been working a few years for you. I would have questioned how durable they are.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I need new TPMS and I have been putting off getting new tires longer that is strictly legal here in Louisiana, US.

Well after Doing quite a bit of reading here on this forum I decided this guide was the best option during replacement & by happenstance Discount Tire had the cheapest tires and install prices I could find.BARUM BRILLANTIS 2, 175 /65 R14 82T SL BSW

Shipping in with Amazon Prime Shipping VDO SE10001HP REDI-Sensor 314.9 MHz/315 MHz TPMS Sensor & ID1000 TPMS Display

Headed tomorrow to have it all installed at Discount tire.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Avgjohndoe View Post
    Well after Doing quite a bit of reading here on this forum I decided this guide was the best option during replacement & by happenstance Discount Tire had the cheapest tires and install prices I could find. BARUM BRILLANTIS 2, 175 /65 R14 82T SL BSW
    You'll have to let us know how the Barums work out for you. I would be hesitant to go with the cheapest tire possible as I've heard too many stories here about problems with cheapies.

Best wishes.