Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyundai takes aim at Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Hyundai takes aim at Mirage

This article sounds like Hyundai designed the 2020 Accent to compete with the Mirage mpg numbers. Complete with their own in-house CVT...

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/20...ses-power/amp/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    This article sounds like Hyundai designed the 2020 Accent to compete with the Mirage mpg numbers. Complete with their own in-house CVT...

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/20...ses-power/amp/
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a vehicle with a GDI engine, & Hyundai is removing their GDI engine in the Accent. The new engine sounds like another experiment to me.

"Starting under the hood, the 1.6-liter GDI four-cylinder has been replaced by a new 1.6-liter Smartstream engine that features dual port injection, a thermal management module and a high energy ignition coil. The engine also has an external exhaust gas recovery system, a narrow water jacket core and continuously variable valve timing."

Even though Hyundai & KIA offer great warranties, I would not spend my money on any unproven powertrain like this. If I could buy a new 2000-05 Toyota Echo, I would pick that over these new cars. Not because the Echo is better car, but because it is a proven car. All these unproven engine designs on the market today really don't impress me.

Hyundai Accent sedan sales really took a dive in 2018. 59,955 in 2017 down to 29,090 in 2018.

The ugly front grill on the Accent may give us an indication of who they think their competition may be?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a vehicle with a GDI engine, & Hyundai is removing their GDI engine in the Accent. The new engine sounds like another experiment to me.
    I had a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe as a car rental during my trip to Alberta, Canada recently.

I believe the engine is a bigger GDI 4 cylinder, and AWD. I was pleasantly surprised to get 8.5 - 8.2 L/100 km's fuel economy over the course of my trip. Not bad at all, for a bigger mid-size SUV. The motor was really quiet. I was impressed with Hyundai's ride, and build quality.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I doubt Hyundai considers the 2,000-ish Mirages Mitsubishi sells every month to be enough of a threat to 'take aim' at it. I suspect Hyundai may actually be trying to fill the void left by the discontinuation of the Toyota Prius C.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I doubt Hyundai considers the 2,000-ish Mirages Mitsubishi sells every month to be enough of a threat to 'take aim' at it. I suspect Hyundai may actually be trying to fill the void left by the discontinuation of the Toyota Prius C.
    I'm pretty sure they sell the Kia Rio in the USA. The Accent and the Kio Rio are the same car I'm pretty sure. So what happens to the Rio or the Accent, predicts the future of the other.

My ex girlfriend drove a 1995 Hyundai Accent 5 speed, I have lots of memories of that car. Fun car for sure. She said her Hyundai Accent was mauve in colour on the ownership, but the car was pink for sure, especially with fading paint.

Scion is all gone, and wasn't always sold in Canada. I liked that boxy Japanese kei car or whatever van they had.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post

Yeah, a little hyperbole on my part to get clicks, lol. I saw the story and thought the changes to increase mpg at expense of power in the cheapest model might be of interest to some on here. Also, the msrp of the Accent seemed closer to Mirage over Prius C.

I'm with another poster; I'm wary of turning over my money to unproven tech, too. I like the proven designs in the Mirage. But if I'm honest, I do geek out a bit at the things they come up with to increase the power/efficiency of the internal combustion engine. Especially when it works!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    The 3A92 is no stone age relic. It has that variable valve timing voodoo. Sure it's a conservative setup but it works and works reliably.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Yeah, a little hyperbole on my part to get clicks, lol. I saw the story and thought the changes to increase mpg at expense of power in the cheapest model might be of interest to some on here. Also, the msrp of the Accent seemed closer to Mirage over Prius C.

I'm with another poster; I'm wary of turning over my money to unproven tech, too. I like the proven designs in the Mirage. But if I'm honest, I do geek out a bit at the things they come up with to increase the power/efficiency of the internal combustion engine. Especially when it works!
    I'd be curious to know how many Mirages Mitsubishi sells worldwide. If that number is significant, it may well be true that Hyundai has the Mirage in their sights.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The 3A92 is no stone age relic. It has that variable valve timing voodoo. Sure it's a conservative setup but it works and works reliably.
    No doubt, they squeeze a lot out of that little engine. But check this out. Again, not a Hyundai shill, I'm just fascinated by what engineers and cpu's can do nowadays. Especially when my first car was a no-computer push-rod V-8...

https://www.autox.com/news/car-news/...nology-106227/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Drove a Hyundai i10 around Iceland last year. It did remind me of the Mirage lol. Also, I really wonder how well their CVT will hold too. Not always but usually it seems like the 1st gen models( especially with new updates) are the ones that get the most issues

Name:  hyui10.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  62.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-19-2019)