Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hyundai takes aim at Mirage

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Another thing is city cars are great in their own way, but if you live in say Warren Michigan I can see why a regular-sized sedan is more preferable transportation than a Mirage, or a Hyundai Accent even. You have to drive bigger distances I feel, and the winters (well Finland must be cold in the winter)
    Should bigger distances not lead to the urge for better economy? And does it matter that you have some more car behind your back, as long as you have a good seat?
    I can imagine bad roads needs bigger cars (or at least bigger wheels), but that's not what you are bringing up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Should bigger distances not lead to the urge for better economy?
    I'm not exactly sure, just throwing stuff out there, but I think it's just people maybe grew up with big old American cars. My family had a 1970s Chevy Bel Air full-sized sedan back in the 1980s, when I was little.

Nowadays, you see a lot of trucks and Chevy crossover sport utility vehicles on the road, and other brands of course. Some people will live in rural farm country and drive a small VW diesel. But way more bigger cars in Canada and the USA overall to Europe.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    The Mirage is nice and simple. I live in rural Ontario Canada and a used Subaru is my thinking for a second car, maybe in a year or two, once my Mirage is paid off.
    I would keep away from Subaru. If you think you need four- or all-wheel drive, there are other options out there. You don't want to buy a lemon.

Consumer Affairs: Subaru owners complain of engine failure, high oil consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Consumer Affairs: Subaru owners complain of engine failure, high oil consumption
    But not everyone is singing Subaru's praises. The cars are not so popular with customers plagued with excessive oil use and engine problems. A class action lawsuit filed last July claims that defective piston rings are to blame and many consumers fear the excessive oil consumption will lead to trouble down the road.

Hardly a day goes by, in fact, without negative reviews and angry emails from worried Subaru owners. The latest comes from Susan of San Francisco, who wrote about her Forester: "I purchased it exactly one year ago from a local Subaru dealer with 16K miles…I now have 31,500 miles and it is burring oil like crazy."

Back to the 2020 Accent, I get the impression that it will be designed quite different from the Mirage. Hyundais I have driven have been heavy, underpowered beasts that aren't exactly easy on gas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hyundais I have driven have been heavy, underpowered beasts that aren't exactly easy on gas.
    Bit of a cliche, but Hyundai's have come a long way. My recent Hyundai rental was excellent on gas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Back to the 2020 Accent, I get the impression that it will be designed quite different from the Mirage. Hyundais I have driven have been heavy, underpowered beasts that aren't exactly easy on gas.
    Back to what I said earlier. my neighbor rented/drove a newer Hyundai Accent sedan from Seattle, Washington to Madison, Wisconsin (28 hour trip). Some gas tanks were in the upper 40's mpg, & she easily average in the mid-40's for the entire trip. She was amazed with the mpg of the car. She didn't do anything special to get that. I am sure the car was driven hard, because she did the trip in 2 days.

A 2019 Hyundai Accent has 130 hp. I don't consider that underpowered for a small sedan, & that's pretty good economy from a relatively inexpensive non-hybrid sedan. Even if a Hyundai got 10 mpg in the past, I don't see how that is relevant today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Even if a Hyundai got 10 mpg in the past, I don't see how that is relevant today?
    Then why compare past Hyundai models against something not yet brought to market? I don't understand your logic here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Then why compare past Hyundai models against something not yet brought to market? I don't understand your logic here.
    You are the one who brought up old, heavy, underpowered Hyundai vehicles of the past, not me If I misread what you were implying, I apologize. I am focused on the current & future ones, & I think that is what this thread is about.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Id be curious to see what the Hyundai engineered CVT will look like. I wonder if they would outsource from Jatco or Aisin?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Id be curious to see what the Hyundai engineered CVT will look like. I wonder if they would outsource from Jatco or Aisin?
    It's already been in use for more than a year in the Forte, and there's lots of info out there on it. It's a Hyundai/Kia developed unit, not an outsourced one. They're using it in the 2020 Elantra, 2020 Soul, and 2020 Rio as well. Reviews say that it drives very well, but time will tell whether it's reliable. (It better be, given how much they're using it across their lineups.) I'm a little leery about a 2020 Accent that includes an updated engine AND a relatively new CVT. People on the cautious side would do well to pick up a 2019 while they can--the fuel economy is lower, but it's likely to be pretty reliable.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mainertodd For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-29-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    It's already been in use for more than a year in the Forte, and there's lots of info out there on it. It's a Hyundai/Kia developed unit, not an outsourced one. They're using it in the 2020 Elantra, 2020 Soul, and 2020 Rio as well. Reviews say that it drives very well, but time will tell whether it's reliable. (It better be, given how much they're using it across their lineups.) I'm a little leery about a 2020 Accent that includes an updated engine AND a relatively new CVT. People on the cautious side would do well to pick up a 2019 while they can--the fuel economy is lower, but it's likely to be pretty reliable.
    Is it a CVT/traditional auto hybrid like our CVT7? If so Id trust it alot more than the old Jatco pure CVTs Nissan used in the 2000s.