Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I needs links to recommended new wheels

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    Just food for thought.. buy a cheep set of imola rims, you can search them on here. I paid 50$ for my set. I bought 175-55r15 quatrack5 tires mounted balanced road hazard everything out the door for less than $400, personally it cost a little more for me cause I did the extra step of purchasing stuff to clone all my sensors. But not totally nessary. Then shelf your stock tire and rim set ups as emergency backups for your two mirages.
    These are a nice light tire wheel combo that definitely have way more grip than stock and way better cornering. Feel safer than stock dunlops when situations call for quick braking " lots of deer".
    Like Eggman suggested, Dirk needs to decide what he really wants?

Dirk could buy a new steel rim for $50. Have the one bent rim replaced using the existing tire & sensors. Slap on new hubcaps and be done. It would be about $75 tops. He could keep the bent rim as a spare. If he ever had a tire issue with either Mirage in the future, it could be used while a replacement is ordered. Given how rare these tire sizes are, I see some wisdom in doing this.

Can you show Dirk where he can find a set of Imola rims for $50? That would be a great deal!

A set (of 4) 175/55-15 Quatrac 5 tires are $347.92 with free shipping @ tirerack.com. I don't see this being a $400 job, unless you can point out a great deal on a set of rims for him?

He can mount 165/65-14 Vredestein Quatrac 5 on his existing rims, or he can go with countless other 175/65-14 tire options some day.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    Just food for thought.. buy a cheep set of imola rims, you can search them on here. I paid 50$ for my set. I bought 175-55r15 quatrack5 tires mounted balanced road hazard everything out the door for less than $400, personally it cost a little more for me cause I did the extra step of purchasing stuff to clone all my sensors. But not totally nessary. Then shelf your stock tire and rim set ups as emergency backups for your two mirages.
    These are a nice light tire wheel combo that definitely have way more grip than stock and way better cornering. Feel safer than stock dunlops when situations call for quick braking " lots of deer".
    Attachment 15068
    Love those center caps man!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Dirk, why you are doing this in the first place?

If you want to address a single damaged rim, the most cost effective approach is to replace that one rim with one from a salvage yard.

If you want to change how your Mirage rides, handles and/or looks, you are looking at replacing all the tires and it'll cost significantly more.

Like a few other forum members here, you are in a unique position to have two Mirages to play with. You can modify one Mirage with rims & tires of your choice and use the tires off of that as spares for the other Mirage.

Personally, I try to figure out what the goals are before getting lost in the maze of choices out there. If I don't stick to a plan, I'll wind up getting something I didn't want in the first place.

You strike me as someone who is careful with money. That being said, I would recommend just replacing that one bad rim. It's the easiest and most cost-effective solution. If you want to change the ride, handling, and looks of your Mirage, we can focus the discussion towards that goal. It'll be more expensive, but other forum members have said new wheels have made a significant difference.
    Considering discount tire said the slightly bent wheel is perfectly safe, we talked it over and decided to wait a year and then replace the steelies with 14" x 6 alloys and slap 175 65 r14 on them. Thank you all for input gentleman, I would be a lost lamb in the woods without your guidance!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Considering discount tire said the slightly bent wheel is perfectly safe, we talked it over and decided to wait a year and then replace the steelies with 14" x 6 alloys and slap 175 65 r14 on them. Thank you all for input gentleman, I would be a lost lamb in the woods without your guidance!
    Sounds like a good plan! I see no need to discard perfectly good tires, even if the Dunlop tires aren't well received by some Mirage owners. As far as LRR (low rolling resistant) tires go, the Dunlop tires do that very well. If I didn't have a sidewall go out on one, I wouldn't be as harsh on them. I am still have a pair on the rear of my car. They are round & do the job!

Exploring options is always good. In the meantime, you can check out what is out there. You may even find a good deal on some slightly used rims in your area. Wish someone had a good suggestion on how you might keep a hubcap on that bent wheel for the next year or so.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Considering discount tire said the slightly bent wheel is perfectly safe, we talked it over and decided to wait a year and then replace the steelies with 14" x 6 alloys and slap 175 65 r14 on them.
    Nice. Here are some threads that can help in your search:

Choosing Fuel Efficient 15” Wheels and Tires

Wheels: What Else Fits the Mirage? (With photos)

Craigslist finds

Set up a search with your local Craigslist that can send new posts to your inbox. You'll never know when a deal comes along, and you have some time to work with.

Hey Dirk - did you ever get your alignment checked?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-20-2019),Top_Fuel (07-21-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Nice. Here are some threads that can help in your search:

Choosing Fuel Efficient 15” Wheels and Tires

Wheels: What Else Fits the Mirage? (With photos)

Craigslist finds

Set up a search with your local Craigslist that can send new posts to your inbox. You'll never know when a deal comes along, and you have some time to work with.

Hey Dirk - did you ever get your alignment checked?
    The 2014 Hatch yes, I did get the alignment checked. It was barely out of spec on the back left tire, Mitsubishi wouldnt replace it, said it was unnecessary lol jeez. The G4 I have not had the alignment checked, but the tire wear isnt weird after 5k miles and no pulling so fingers crossed!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    The 2014 Hatch yes, I did get the alignment checked. It was barely out of spec on the back left tire, Mitsubishi wouldnt replace it, said it was unnecessary lol jeez. The G4 I have not had the alignment checked, but the tire wear isnt weird after 5k miles and no pulling so fingers crossed!
    Yes, no pulling fingers haha.

This calls for pictures - lots of pictures. Be sure to make a photo album in your forum profile so we get the befores & afters of all the mods along the way.

Because this is where it starts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)