Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I needs links to recommended new wheels

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I might be better off getting her 15" alloys and 175 55 r15 tires? For selection sakes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Offset is always critical.
    It's critical, but most places that sell new rims will list the rims that will fit your particular car. If you know the best offset, please share that. Width of rims and everything are part of the equation. Places that sell wheels for a living are there to help you, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I might be better off getting her 15" alloys and 175 55 r15 tires? For selection sakes.
    Don't make the assumption 175/55-15 is a popular tire size. It's almost as bad, but you can go with other sizes if you like.

Just searching Walmart now-

175/55r15 gives 8 tire choices total (both factory size tires for the Mirage are both lame)

175/65r14 gives 76 tires choices

Just because you switch to 15" wheel doesn't mean you have more tire choices. I guess you need to decide what you really want? Bigger wider tires will not increase your mpg unless you really go with some good LRR tires. Even then, I feel skinny tires may do better. 175 are a nice mid-range. Those who go beyond 185 have to watch for rubbing issues.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-20-2019 at 01:09 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi guys, my fiancee is not loving her steel wheels because they cant hold on to hubcaps. Im having a hard time finding aftermarkets for the 14 x 4.5, 4 x 100mm. Any links would be appreciated. Her tires are brand new so any wheel that can safely fit her 165 Dunlops is appreciated as were trying to avoid tire rub.
    If you are confused, I would look up a tire installer for your area on tirerack.com. I would go to them, and tell them you want to switch out your steel rims for alloy rims. They will set you up with something from tirerack.com, or they may have another source they deal with that is better. Let them present you options. If you go this route, they may charge less to mount/balance them, too.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I really like the 175 65 r14 selection too thank you. Do you think with the 175s road and tire noise will be less? I understand handling will be better and mpg/acceleration slightly worse?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...els-from-14-15

If my memory serves me right, they were more of a plain looking alloy wheel. They are 14" OEM alloy wheels for $160, however. Even with shipping, you would pay way more for something else.
    I agree...that's a pretty good deal if they are in nice shape. Where else are you going to find 14" aluminum wheels for $40/each?!?

Here's a picture of my aluminum ES wheels when I sold them...

Name:  ES_Wheels.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  85.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I agree...that's a pretty good deal if they are in nice shape. Where else are you going to find 14" aluminum wheels for $40/each?!?

Here's a picture of my aluminum ES wheels when I sold them...
    I personally would buy the used factory alloy rims, too. Even if shipping cost you $100, it's a good deal. You know they are made to fit your car. You can use up your Dunlop tires and still go with 175 wide tires another day.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I really like the 175 65 r14 selection too thank you. Do you think with the 175s road and tire noise will be less? I understand handling will be better and mpg/acceleration slightly worse?
    Someone can surely add to this list, but I feel these may be the most common tires sizes. Any time I have checked, 175/65r14 offers the most choices. Factory tires have an outside diameter of 22.4" or 22.6". Staying within a 3% variance of that is usually considered acceptable.

165/65r14*, 22.4”, 0%,
    185/60r14, 22.7”, +1.3% variance
    175/65r14, 23.0”, +2.7% variance

175/55r15*, 22.6”, 0%
    185/55r15, 23.0”, +1.8% variance

* factory stock tires

A 185 wide tire may give you better handling. A 165 tire may give you better mpg. 175 is the middle of all that. The quality of the tire and what it is designed for are big factors, too.

I share these sizes as a good starting point. They are all round tires with 22.4" to 23" outside diameters. I am not swayed by larger rims are better in all cases.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hey Dirk, why you are doing this in the first place?

If you want to address a single damaged rim, the most cost effective approach is to replace that one rim with one from a salvage yard.

If you want to change how your Mirage rides, handles and/or looks, you are looking at replacing all the tires and it'll cost significantly more.

Like a few other forum members here, you are in a unique position to have two Mirages to play with. You can modify one Mirage with rims & tires of your choice and use the tires off of that as spares for the other Mirage.

Personally, I try to figure out what the goals are before getting lost in the maze of choices out there. If I don't stick to a plan, I'll wind up getting something I didn't want in the first place.

You strike me as someone who is careful with money. That being said, I would recommend just replacing that one bad rim. It's the easiest and most cost-effective solution. If you want to change the ride, handling, and looks of your Mirage, we can focus the discussion towards that goal. It'll be more expensive, but other forum members have said new wheels have made a significant difference.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just food for thought.. buy a cheep set of imola rims, you can search them on here. I paid 50$ for my set. I bought 175-55r15 quatrack5 tires mounted balanced road hazard everything out the door for less than $400, personally it cost a little more for me cause I did the extra step of purchasing stuff to clone all my sensors. But not totally nessary. Then shelf your stock tire and rim set ups as emergency backups for your two mirages.
    These are a nice light tire wheel combo that definitely have way more grip than stock and way better cornering. Feel safer than stock dunlops when situations call for quick braking " lots of deer".
    Name:  IMG_1299.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  98.1 KB