Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Go baby go.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Also, I used a full 80lb bag. Just, for reference. Not that it held that well to cheap paving stones anyway Haha.
    I think your fire pit looks great! I would hire you to do one.

I don't think a fire pit needs to be overbuilt. Wouldn't want to have to hire a bulldozer to take it down some day!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think your fire pit looks great! I would hire you to do one.

I don't think a fire pit needs to be overbuilt. Wouldn't want to have to hire a bulldozer to take it down some day!
    Yup. I could do it better, but only by cutting the air gaps on the bottom 12, or better yet, cutting the mitered angle on the upper 36. Hell no. It just needs to stay put. All of my neighbours have just stacked em.

Wait til I clean em up and do the detail grind on the mortar (concave cavities is the plan, if I get the energy to do it)

All in all, $50, an hours work including digging and leveling gravel, I'm pretty damned stoked. Similar pits at local stores go for $399 out of fireproof fiber stone, still would have had to prep the location.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Otherwise your structure might be tipsy dude. Definitely not living up to the 100% of your material's potential! You paid your money. But your words Sloppy then means tipsy
    Not sure how sloppy means messy when one of the strongest brick joints you can do is weeping mortar.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Not sure how sloppy means messy when one of the strongest brick joints you can do is weeping mortar.
    I missed the part about mortar lol, I thought you were just leaving the bricks as is, non mortared.

Ah the internet and me, never a good combo.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Actually, this is the correct way to make a fire pit. If he didn't leave the space between the bottom row of bricks, no air would get in & your fire would only smolder & smoke. ...
    I'm not talking about the open slots in the bottom.

He will never not own a Metro.

At the rate I put on KMs, I have enough Metros & Fireflies in stock to last a few more decades!

You're right on which way I'm leaning, though. Obviously I prefer a more efficient engine, but it should still be entertaining in the twisties, and the Micra beats the Mirage hands down in the steering feel & suspension. If only Mitsu had taken a page from Nissan's approach, they could have avoided a LOT of the negativity in Mirage reviews.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

At the rate I put on KMs, I have enough Metros & Fireflies in stock to last a few more decades!

You're right on which way I'm leaning, though. Obviously I prefer a more efficient engine, but it should still be entertaining in the twisties, and the Micra beats the Mirage hands down in the steering feel & suspension. If only Mitsu had taken a page from Nissan's approach, they could have avoided a LOT of the negativity in Mirage reviews.
    I find it funny that the Doax bar tripled the handling ability, yet it still feels like a wet marshmallow compared to the Micra.

This car is fun. Love the way the tail steps out on hard corner entry, just flies in the bends. 0-60, well, I'm working on that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I find it funny that the Doax bar tripled the handling ability, yet it still feels like a wet marshmallow compared to the Micra.

This car is fun. Love the way the tail steps out on hard corner entry, just flies in the bends. 0-60, well, I'm working on that.

Is "this car" the Mirage or the Micra?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    If only Mitsu had taken a page from Nissan's approach, they could have avoided a LOT of the negativity in Mirage reviews.
    I really don't mind the Mirage as is. In my case it's a daily driver, & I have something else for large loads. The Mirage does what I want it to do quite well.

It seems like the two cars (Mirage/Micra) were built for two different outcomes.

Hypothetical - A Mirage powetrain (engine/manual transmission) added to a Micra frame/body) may be an appealing combination. Adding a Micra powertrain to a Mirage frame/body, however, wouldn't interest me in the least.

Affordable, reliable, & economical are important factors to me. If handling & ride were improved without sacrificing the other factors, that would be great. A Mirage powertrain in a Micra may be that?

The Micra seems to be a solid, well designed small car. Its mpg would be a deal breaker for me. If a small car isn't giving me a great mpg rating, I would rather drive something larger & more substantial. It comes down to what's important to you I guess?
    Last edited by Mark; 07-24-2019 at 04:35 PM.

Actually, outside of the western hemisphere, the same Micra that we get in Canada was sold with a choice of two 1.2L 3-cylinder engines, one naturally aspirated, the other supercharged.

It's just on this side of the pond we get the race car Micra with the giant 1.6L engine . (There is actually a factory-supported Micra race series in Canada).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)