Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey I want to buy spacestar, should I buy the automatic or manual?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Truthful answer this time. Manual is more reliable than automatic everytime. But if you live in a conjested city, a manual is a pain in the ass.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will always recommend the manual transmission because it is way more fun. I also drive my car like Jason Bourne drives a mini running from the police. I have had no issues as of yet. I am looking at other manufacturer options for a replacement friction disk when i finally launch the damper springs out of mine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    But if you live in a conjested city, a manual is a pain in the ass.
    Dirk, I forget: did you try a Mirage manual?

It literally has the lightest, easiest to use clutch of any car I've ever driven. Makes the clutch effort in my 1.0L Metro/Firefly feel like a truck's by comparison. I definitely wouldn't rule out a Manual Mirage/Space Star for 100% big city driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Dirk, I forget: did you try a Mirage manual?

It literally has the lightest, easiest to use clutch of any car I've ever driven. Makes the clutch effort in my 1.0L Metro/Firefly feel like a truck's by comparison. I definitely wouldn't rule out a Manual Mirage/Space Star for 100% big city driving.
    If you don't like shifting gears, then a manual isn't for you, full stop. I've never noticed a difference between stop and go and highway driving, even in my larger rigs (Big Jeep, tall gears, big tires, that can actually make you tired), because I'm just driving, and shifting is a part of that Doesn't even register.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    If you don't like shifting gears, then a manual isn't for you, full stop. I've never noticed a difference between stop and go and highway driving, even in my larger rigs (Big Jeep, tall gears, big tires, that can actually make you tired), because I'm just driving, and shifting is a part of that Doesn't even register.
    If you don't like loaning out your car to others, drive a manual. Dirk bought a manual, because his future wife isn't interested in driving a manual. That's not a uncommon theme for married couples.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Hi Avimorde, If you want this sort of budget car and want to run it long term on a really small budget, you should consider a manual, especially since a manual is nothing exotic in your country. The Mirage (SpaceStar) has probably the lowest total cost of ownership, and is also very reliable. I know how hilly it is in some parts of Israel, but think a manual is best. If you have the choice between a 1.0 and a 1.2L, both are good, but the 1.0 needs a bit more shifting of gears than the 1.2L. This is because the 1.2 has more power at lower revs, and therefore needs less gear-shifting in hilly areas.
    Last edited by foama; 07-24-2019 at 06:59 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-25-2019)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Greetings from Israel!!!
    To everyone participated in this thread there is one more thing, the manual gear is available in Israel only with the 1.0L engine and basic finish (even the rear windows are manual), and the CVT only with the 1.2L.
    When i bought my space star 1.5 years ago that affected my decision and i got the 1.2L CVT

9. The Following User Says Thank You to yujinius For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-26-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yujinius View Post
    Greetings from Israel!!!
    To everyone participated in this thread there is one more thing, the manual gear is available in Israel only with the 1.0L engine and basic finish (even the rear windows are manual), and the CVT only with the 1.2L.
    When i bought my space star 1.5 years ago that affected my decision and i got the 1.2L CVT
    Thats why I bought the manual 5 years ago, and I would do the same today.

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Thats why I bought the manual 5 years ago, and I would do the same today.
    Well. i was afraid the 1.0L would be too weak, especially going uphill

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    .2 is a 20% difference between 1.0 and 1.2

Go to local dealership and test drive both models. Then you will know if it has enough power for your needs. If you want to save money buy the smallest engine that will still meet your daily needs.

If you are an impatient person that likes to accelerate rapidly you probably wont want the 1.0

Also consider how long you will keep the car. If you normally sell the car before 100k miles then the CVT transmission should last that long. If you want to take the car to over 200k miles than I would forget about the CVT.

I have the manual and live in a very traffic congested city. Shifting from Neutral to 1st and 2nd and neutral over and over again (in heavy traffic) is a mild irritation but it is not the end of the world.

When you consider that in the past our Grandparents drove cars with manual transmission and no power steering that is why I say the guys complaining about shifting gears in gridlock traffic are complaining about something that is really only a mild irritation.

Last edited by fc321; 07-27-2019 at 04:26 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-28-2019)