Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hey I want to buy spacestar, should I buy the automatic or manual?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    My uncle took me and my brother off with him on his tractors "farming" with him several times. We loved it. But by today's standard, it was very dangerous. We sat on the fenders over the rear wheels. With big ole flywheels spinning at our feet.

I can still hear those John Deere engines kachunk kachunk kachunk kachunk, with a braaap-braap-brap kachunk kachunk kachunk when he'd nudge the hand throttle.

One of them would throw a flame out the exhaust while going downhill engine braking. He had a few different types at a time. Twas wonderful times.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Hey Mark, My Grandfather also had a Farmall H, a row crop that as a kid I was sent to use & help him... My father had 2 cylinder JD's with the hand clutch. The Farmall was sooo much easier to drive, especially if you were trying to back a wagon of grain into the Barn beside the Thrashing machine...No Power Steering, just all the power your arms could put into it... Good Times. I miss them...
    I actually drove our Farmall H a couple weeks ago. I was helping my dad put wood in his basement, & I move all the load with the H. The H is 74 years old now, and it still runs exactly as I remember it as a kid. I spent many hours raking hay on that tractor as a kid & probably spread 100's of loads of manure with it. With a narrow front end, it doesn't steer that hard once moving. They have large steering wheels, too.

I believe the Farmall H was best selling Farmall/International Harvester tractor of all time. It came at a time when buying a tractor for under $1,000 made more sense than using horses. Plus with its mighty 26 horsepower, it could pull a two bottom plow!

Quote - "The H, with its two-plow capacity, did more to convert the late bloomers (the small farmers) to mechanical horsepower than any other model at the time. Pricewise, farmers couldn't afford to continue farming with horses or mules when they could buy a Model H (1939-54) for under $962 on rubber tires."

My grandpa bought our H in 1948. Other tractors have come & gone on my grandparents/parents' farm over the years, but the H has remained.

My other grandpa had a two-cylinder John Deere putt-putt. I believe the Ford 8N may be the most popular tractor of all time, but my dad was a Farmall guy most of his life. He uses a large John Deere 700 series riding lawnmower these days, however.

I never cared for the hand clutches on my grandpa's John Deere & my uncle's Minneapolis Moline Z & U either. That way of life has sadly disappeared. Today's equipment is huge. What took us weeks to do (baling hay for example), they do in one day on my dad's farm now. They (those who rent his land) cut the entire farm in a few hours and chop it all a day or two later. That's the difference between having 28 cows verses 1,500+ cows, too.

Old Farmall tractors were over engineered. Things were built to last back in those days.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-03-2022),klroger (11-03-2022)