Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey I want to buy spacestar, should I buy the automatic or manual?

Country
    Israel
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Hey I want to buy spacestar, should I buy the automatic or manual?

Hey I'm new here, I am interested to buy space star car and I would like to hear your opinion please. Sorry if I am not in the right place, my English is not perfect I use translations. So I have two options, the first is automatic gear and second is manual gear. What do you thing due to your experience should be better with less mechanic problems and more safety? I personally like more the manual but I afraid it has more mechanic problems so I came here to make sure. Are there any common problems I need to pay attention to? Thanks in advanced.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by avimorde View Post
    Hey I'm new here, I am interested to buy space star car and I would like to hear your opinion please. Sorry if I am not in the right place, my English is not perfect I use translations. So I have two options, the first is automatic gear and second is manual gear. What do you thing due to your experience should be better with less mechanic problems and more safety? I personally like more the manual but I afraid it has more mechanic problems so I came here to make sure. Are there any common problems I need to pay attention to? Thanks in advanced.
    I am not convinced the CVT is designed to last the life of the car? It's more reliable than the CVT in some other cars on the market, but I have never heard anyone say the CVT is more reliable than the manual.

If you like driving the manual, drive the manual. In the U.S., a manual transmission is about $1,200 less than the same trim level with a CVT. The manual has no transmission filters to mess with. Changing fluid (doing maintenance) is easier.

As long as you don't ride the clutch, the manual transmissions on these cars seems pretty solid. One member has over 250,000 miles on his Mirage, and he had zero transmission/clutch issues so far.

If you want to keep the car for a long time and you like a manual, I would buy the manual. I highly doubt the CVT is more reliable in these cars.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-23-2019 at 05:04 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-23-2019),MetroMPG (07-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by avimorde View Post
    Since you live in a region that is consistently hot I would choose the manual over the CVT. Heat is a killer of CVT’s and any automatic. I have a CVT but I live in a place where 75F is a warm day and 80F is a heat wave. Plus,you’ll save some $$ by going with the 5 speed. Not too many shops are that knowledgeable about CVT’s but I'm guessing that replacing a clutch if necessary 4 or 5 years down the road will be a lot cheaper.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Since you live in a region that is consistently hot I would choose the manual over the CVT. Heat is a killer of CVT’s and any automatic. I have a CVT but I live in a place where 75F is a warm day and 80F is a heat wave. Plus,you’ll save some $$ by going with the 5 speed. Not too many shops are that knowledgeable about CVT’s but I'm guessing that replacing a clutch if necessary 4 or 5 years down the road will be a lot cheaper.
    260k something miles on my car and I’ve never changed the clutch disk on it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I recommend purchasing a manual transmission for your Space Star.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I recommend the CVT because Im sure the traffic is substantial in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. Only archaic, neo-luddites engage in the peasent like behavior of pushing a knob vigorously. For shame I tell you!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Nifty_Biscuit (11-01-2022),Rockabilly Manta (07-23-2019),timw4mail (07-23-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I recommend the CVT because Im sure the traffic is substantial in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. Only archaic, neo-luddites engage in the peasent like behavior of pushing a knob vigorously. For shame I tell you!
    Unlike the fine person asking the question, I speak/understand English. Yet, I need a translator for your last sentence?

If someone prefers driving a manual & their only reservation is reliability, I would not suggest the CVT over the MANUAL. Why pay extra money for something you don't really want in the first place? Especially when that something may make the vehicle LESS reliable! When I hear/see the words "Jatco CVT", the words "reliable/durable" don't come to mind. Fortunately, they have done better in the Mirage.

I don't know of anyone on this forum that's freaking out over the possibility of their manual transmission failing. Likewise, I don't know of anyone on this forum that is considering buying an extra manual transmission just in case their transmission may fail some day.

I believe Steve @ 260,000 miles has an clutch kit on hand, but a clutch kit is much cheaper than purchasing an entire transmission. I'd lease a CVT vehicle if I really had, too. I wouldn't buy one! Just being honest here!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am not convince the CVT is designed to last the life of the car? It's more reliable than the CVT in some other cars on the market, but I have never heard anyone say the CVT is more reliable than the manual.

If you like driving the manual, drive the manual. In the U.S., a manual transmission is about $1,200 less than the same trim level with a CVT. The manual has no transmission filters to mess with. Changing fluid (doing maintenance) is easier.

As long as you don't ride the clutch, the manual transmissions on these cars seems pretty solid. One member has over 250,000 miles on his Mirage, and he had zero transmission/clutch issues so far.

If you want to keep the car for a long time and you like a manual, I would buy the manual. I highly doubt the CVT is more reliable in these cars.
    /\ This. /\

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Unlike the fine person asking the question, I speak/understand English. Yet, I need a translator for your last sentence?

If someone prefers driving a manual & their only reservation is reliability, I would not suggest the CVT over the MANUAL. Why pay extra money for something you don't really want in the first place? Especially when that something may make the vehicle LESS reliable! When I hear/see the words "Jatco CVT", the words "reliable/durable" don't come to mind. Fortunately, they have done better in the Mirage.

I don't know of anyone on this forum that's freaking out over the possibility of their manual transmission failing. Likewise, I don't know of anyone on this forum that is considering buying an extra manual transmission just in case their transmission may fail some day.

I believe Steve @ 260,000 miles has an clutch kit on hand, but a clutch kit is much cheaper than purchasing an entire transmission. I'd lease a CVT vehicle if I really had, too. I wouldn't buy one! Just being honest here!
    Lol Mark I forgot, you teach science, not literature. Its satire, with a dash of irony.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Lol Mark I forgot, you teach science, not literature. Its satire, with a dash of irony.
    Yeah, you almost lost me on the explanation!

It helped being married to English major while going through graduate school. I'm sure her proofreading improved a few of my grades on papers!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-23-2019),MetroMPG (07-24-2019)