Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 43 mpg

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    Mark,

Do you know what tow ratio is listed as for the mirage in Canada or Europe.
    Canadian dealership salesman would no commit to specification. Probably for liability reasons?

I got these numbers by downloading the UK Mirage owner's manual (page 11-5) -

https://owners.mitsubishi-motors.co....s/OA0X19E2.pdf

1200 models
    Maximum towable weight With brake 200 kg (441 pounds)
    Without brake 100 kg (220 pounds)
    Maximum trailer-nose weight 25 kg (55 pounds)
    Maximum roof load 50 kg (110 pounds)
    Seating capacity 5 persons

I added the # of pounds in parentheses.

The Mirage is not much of a tow vehicle, & Mitsubishi isn't sticking their neck out to far on that one. A hitch might be handy for a rear bike rack, but it's not rated for much in the towing area. My steel trailer empty weighs way more than the limits indicated.

The UK website has a nice reference to towing with a Mitsubishi, but the Mirage is not included in the discussion.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/...ith-mitsubishi

I hope this helps?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark.
    Was hoping non brakes would be about 400- 450 lbs.
    Wow.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark.
    Wow.
    This is somewhat a hypothesis on my part, but CVTs have reduced/eliminated towing capacities of vehicles.

My 2011 Forester is rated to tow 2,500 pounds. I have the 5-speed manual, & the automatics were 4-speeds back then. When Subaru went to CVT & 6-speed manuals, the Forester towing capacity dropped to 1,500 pounds. The boxer engines didn't change that much, only the transmissions.

Likewise, the Outlander & Eclipse Cross only have towing capacities of 1,500 pounds. Except for the top trim level Outlander with a 3.0 L engine & 6-speed automatic transmission, which has a 3,500 pound towing capacity. That's more than double.

A little SUV like the Ford Ecosport (2.0 L engine & 6-speed automatic) can tow 2,000 pounds. Meanwhile, the Outlander Sport with a CVT - towing is not recommended.

CVT may improve mpg, but they don't inspire confidence in the towing department. This is not really a scientific study. Just an observation on my part. I need a small SUV to tow. Otherwise, it's useless to me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Thanks Mark.
    Wow.
    The Mirage is not rated for towing in the US. If something were to go wrong, you may not be covered by your insurance. Why expose yourself to the possible liability?

This has been covered extensively here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Outlander GT has terrible rear suspension for towing anything over 2000lbs sadly. It will pull it, but it does a terrible job and fuel economy drops from well below it's rated 28mpg to an abysmal 14-17mpg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mark,

Do you know what tow rating is listed as for the mirage in Canada or Europe.
    Canadian dealership salesman would no commit to specification. Probably for liability reasons?
    Its rated for a bike rack in Canada. Dealers won't sell a decent hitch for them.

One takes a liability risk using a trailer on these, but a few of us do.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A little SUV like the Ford Ecosport (2.0 L engine & 6-speed automatic) can tow 2,000 pounds. Meanwhile, the Outlander Sport with a CVT - towing is not recommended.
    Ford isn't giving you a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Mitsubishi is. So there is that aspect of it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Its rated for a bike rack in Canada. Dealers won't sell a decent hitch for them.

One takes a liability risk using a trailer on these, but a few of us do.
    I am not endorsing a hitch on any vehicle. Those things are a personal choice. Putting a hitch on a Mirage would seem like a waste of good metal to me. Having said that, etrailer.com pretty much carries hitches for most any vehicle. Even vehicles not recommended to tow have hitches available.

They offer two options for the Mirage (Curt & Draw-Tite).

They offer four options for the Outlander Sport (Curt & Draw-Tite). Choice of 1.25" or 2" receiver openings with both brands.

I've purchased most of my hitches from them. Some I have put on my own, & some I've had a mechanic put on. They usually charge 1 hour labor, but it's a half hour job for them.

I wouldn't add a hitch to a vehicle that isn't rated to tow myself, but the hitches do exist. They are nice for rear bike racks, & that wouldn't require trailer wiring.

Towing with a Mirage may void your warranty & could cause insurance issues. Those are factors to consider for sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, the trailer idea is out

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Considering a hitch/box that converts to a camper/sleeping berth.
    While driving, nothing touches the ground. When stopped, box telescopes out to make sleeping berth/bunk. With deployable legs to now support berth/bunk.