Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 43 mpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    Considering a hitch/box that converts to a camper/sleeping berth.
    While driving, nothing touches the ground. When stopped, box telescopes out to make sleeping berth/bunk. With deployable legs to now support berth/bunk.
    I'll put this here https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...with-my-mirage

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great read. Thank you Fummins.
    I am very cautious.
    I want to have no more than 100lbs on the hitch. Even that might be to much.
    When stopped, and sleeping in berth, its weight , and mine, would then be fully supported by fold down or some sort of deployable legs. That way, the weight of berth and myself is not resting solely on the hitch.
    This way, I am not technically towing anything.
    More 'bike rack' ish.
    Google the 'the hitch hotel'.
    This way, I wont have to modify interior of Mirage to try and sleep inside it.
    Last edited by Bristol; 07-30-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If you set it up like a roof top Tent folded should only be 3x3.5, unfolded be 3x7.

4 drop down legs would be easy (not 6, hitch wont mind half the weight.

Tricky thing is building it light to not adversely effect handling.

Aluminium frame, foam mattress, nylon tent material. The tent arms can be done to open when it opens.

__.|'| hitch and folded.

__.__,__ hitch and unfolded.

Use legs at hinge and at end, let hitch support the front third.

_\|/_ aluminium tube arms to extend when Tent is dropped from the hinge section, collapse when folded. No set up required.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like it!
    I'm thinking, instead of extending length wise, let hitch support middle section and when tent is opened, one side would extend toward drivers side and the other end would extend towards passenger side.
    When collapsed. Hitch would carry all the weight and the entire package will ride below roof line of car and total width would be between the tailights.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    taillights.
    Even when in use, erected tent/sleeping berth would sit behind car, but low enough to ground that I could possibly swing my legs out. put feet on ground and actually sit comfortably. That would put sleeping pad height about 16-18 inches off ground.
    I could access gear in rear hatch through the side doors.
    I think it would, hands down, beat climbing in and out of car to sleep.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    taillights.
    Even when in use, erected tent/sleeping berth would sit behind car, but low enough to ground that I could possibly swing my legs out. put feet on ground and actually sit comfortably. That would put sleeping pad height about 16-18 inches off ground.
    I could access gear in rear hatch through the side doors.
    I think it would, hands down, beat climbing in and out of car to sleep.
    I like parallel or perpendicular. Either works. It sticks out WAY further back your way though, less weight on the front wheels. My way sticks only 8" or so collapsed. Yours would stick back 3'. That's 4x the weight off the front wheels. At a centre point of about 1'8 back, every pound on the rear is about half a pound off the front (roughly 8' wheelbase, centre of mass would be a good 3+' behind the rear axle).

The closer you keep centre of mass to the hitch, the less weight is REMOVED from the front end. 80lb on the back end is nothing, but 80lb hung 3' behind rear axle lowers the back end AND raises the front end. That will destroy fuel economy pretty badly, plus you'll need to beef up the rear suspension. The further back you hang the mass, the more weight is shifted from front axle to rear. And with the extra leverage little bumps will multiply forces as well.

With my experience, it's not much to start bottoming these cars out. Do keep that in mind.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Also unless I'm grossly mistaken, my way keeps taillights visible as well (I remember rear hatch being about 3'), and with my way, one pin folds it down to access the rear hatch. Dont need to open the tent, just lower it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I also worry about crosswinds with a 3x3.5 tail fin.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I also worry about crosswinds with a 3x3.5 tail fin.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nickels, what you say makes alot of sense.
    I will have to reconsider those issues.