Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for keeping back head rest on or not.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Need advice for keeping back head rest on or not.

I wanted to pick the brains of all the experienced veteran commuters on here. Recently Ive been considering doing Uber with my lil Mirage hatchback. I already do uber eats deliveries, which is ok but wanted to broaden my scope by try driving people around too, but Im nervous if I install all my head rests back on, my visibility will be severely impacted. When I first got my hatch I took the two back headrest and passenger seat headrest to let me see better when I change lanes. I also installed a wider mirror to help with the blindspots. Well, I had 4 adults in the car the other day and had trouble seeing my blind spots when changing lanes. How does one fix this? Any driving technique suggestions?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I placed a small wide angle mirror on both the passenger and driver's side mirrors. Works great and once I got used to the differences in perceived distances (objects are closer than they appear ) I wouldn't want to go without them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-25-2019),Top_Fuel (07-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I wanted to pick the brains of all the experienced veteran commuters on here. Recently Ive been considering doing Uber with my lil Mirage hatchback. I already do uber eats deliveries, which is ok but wanted to broaden my scope by try driving people around too, but Im nervous if I install all my head rests back on, my visibility will be severely impacted. When I first got my hatch I took the two back headrest and passenger seat headrest to let me see better when I change lanes. I also installed a wider mirror to help with the blindspots. Well, I had 4 adults in the car the other day and had trouble seeing my blind spots when changing lanes. How does one fix this? Any driving technique suggestions?
    The small wide angle mirrors you stick on your side mirrors do help. I don't use them, but my dad has them on all of his vehicles. He is older, & he has trouble turning his neck like he should. I've driven his vehicles, & they do help your visibility.

Since I have owned my Mirage, my rear seat headrests have been removed. It improves visibility when the seats are up, & the rear seats fold down with less obstruction from hitting the front seats. I seldom have rear passengers, & I find myself hauling larger stuff with rear seats down a lot. If I was hauling passengers on a daily basis, I would never remove the headrests. They serve an important purpose in protecting people (neck injuries especially).

I was rear ended once. Even at a lower speed, it was enough force to snap the mechanism that holds the back of the seat upright. I walked away with no injuries, & the headrest saved my neck. This rear end collusion totaled my 2000 Honda CRV & the Chevy Tahoe that hit me. I was also driven into a Ford F-150 pickup stopped ahead of me, & it received some minor bumper damage. This happened on a 25 mph city street.

I would never haul passenger without the headrests installed. If they are sitting in those spots, you aren't going to see any better with the headrests removed.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-25-2019),poorman1 (07-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Spend $8 and buy these mirrors on Amazon. I was having occasional difficulty with someone sneaking into my blind spots. But no more with these mirrors in place.

The nice thing about these mirrors is that not only are they convex, but they mount on little adjustable pedestals. So you can adjust them up/down and side-to-side independently of your existing rear view mirrors. I didn't think they would make that much of a difference... until I installed them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Spend $8 and buy these mirrors on Amazon. I was having occasional difficulty with someone sneaking into my blind spots. But no more with these mirrors in place.

The nice thing about these mirrors is that not only are they convex, but they mount on little adjustable pedestals. So you can adjust them up/down and side-to-side independently of your existing rear view mirrors. I didn't think they would make that much of a difference... until I installed them.
    Good suggestion! Buy those mirrors & put the headrests back on!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Great suggestion, Ill order immediately. Yeah, Atlanta is full of crazy drivers that do 20 over on city highways. Is having my rpms mostly @3k taxing on our lil engines?I ask because of it being hilly and fast reckless drivers in my town.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I also installed a wider mirror to help with the blindspots. Well, I had 4 adults in the car the other day and had trouble seeing my blind spots when changing lanes. How does one fix this? Any driving technique suggestions?
    I have my heavy equipment licence. I have a big blind spot in front of me from whatever I'm picking up with the forks. The steering is backward wheels on my old truck at work, so the whole thing is crazy driving.

Going in reverse, obviously I can see way better. So, my *point* to you Dirk is you develop techniques. Adapt to your environment, even if it's taking the less than great option. Yes the blind spot on the Mirage is terrible, especially driver's side back.

If you need the headrests in for passengers in the car, you will have to just adapt unfortunately.

Plus if you're a very tall driver like me, the Mirage has poor visibility. The Lancer is no different especially Sportback models. Maye be better for Uber driving the Lancer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    These little engines can handle alot of abuse with regular maintenance. Mine gets redlined almost daily because of the Texas freeway speeds and short ramps. Driving at 70mph all day at around 3500rpm is not a problem at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BecauseRaceCar For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-26-2019),inuvik (07-25-2019),timw4mail (07-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One other thing.
    Alot of folks adjust their mirrors so they can also see the edges/sides of their automobile. I do not.
    I adjust my mirrors out further so I don't see the sides of my car, but instead see more traffic.
    If I want to see the sides of my car, for example, backing up or parking, then I lean my head over to out a little more.
    When I am driving in traffic, I want my mirrors adjusted so with just the smallest turn of my head or slight shift of my eyes, I can see the most traffic possible.
    I know where the sides of my vehicle are, I dont need to see them while driving. I only need to see them when parking or backing up into tight spaces.
    Hope that helps.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bristol For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-26-2019),timw4mail (07-26-2019),Tomfromparma (07-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I took the back seat head rests out of my car about 30 minutes after I bought it. HATE them!! Block my rear view and I cannot lay the seats down in back with them in, so they had to go!