Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nissan profits drop to near zero, 12,500 layoffs planned

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I bought a 1999 Nissan Sentra SE-L. Build quality was iffy. It lots of stupid little things go wrong with it (luckily, few had anything to do with the SR20DE engine). But this was right as Nissan was faltering and was getting scooped up by Renault.

To be honest, the Sentra wasn't my first choice; the Mirage LS was, but I couldn't get my hands on one. The new Protege was too pricey, as was the Impreza 2.5RS, so I looked at the Sentra. It was a lot of fun to drive, although it had the most uncomfortable seats I've ever owned in a car.

The only Nissan I seriously considered buying after that was a Cube, but that never happened. I do still like the tried-and-true Frontier from a truck perspective.
    My rural postal carrier uses a Cube, & it has been a great vehicle for her. I believe her daily route is over 100 miles. On nasty winter days, she will use her old Dodge Durango. Several rural carries in our area are now driving Jeep Wranglers set up for right side driving (special order vehicles). She somehow sits in the middle of her Cube and makes it work.

My previous postal carrier alway drove a Reliant K car. He used those cars for years. If your car isn't set up for right side driving, a bench seat was popular.

I don't mean to totally bash Nissan, but their reputation is tarnished. If I ever bought a used Nissan, the Frontier would be my only consideration, too.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Im not too concerned for Nissan's future. Their cars are legion in this country. Whats the ranking for units sold in the states? Toyota first, Honda, then Nissan. Even with the CVT being an issue for a MINORITY of owners, the vast majority of Nissans perform just fine for many miles. If the opposite was true, Nissan would be facing severe economic punishment on a Federal level.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Im not too concerned for Nissan's future. Their cars are legion in this country. Whats the ranking for units sold in the states? Toyota first, Honda, then Nissan. Even with the CVT being an issue for a MINORITY of owners, the vast majority of Nissans perform just fine for many miles. If the opposite was true, Nissan would be facing severe economic punishment on a Federal level.
    Nissan was number 6 (U.S.) in 2018 (behind GM, Ford, Toyota, Fiat Chrysler, & Honda). I use to think Nissan was a pretty good product, but I don't feel that way about them any more. I don't think I am alone on that?

Mitsubishi was number 16 (sales) in 2018.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Nissan was number 6 (U.S.) in 2018 (behind GM, Ford, Toyota, Fiat Chrysler, & Honda). I use to think Nissan was a pretty good product, but I don't feel that way about them any more. I don't think I am alone on that?

Mitsubishi was number 16 (sales) in 2018.
    Sixth place is still fantastic in my book. They're not going anywhere, especially since Ford is on the ropes too about their dual clutch systems.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Sixth place is still fantastic in my book. They're not going anywhere, especially since Ford is on the ropes too about their dual clutch systems.
    That's true - Ford's crappy transmissions lawsuits may overtake Nissan's crappy transmissions lawsuits?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My rural postal carrier uses a Cube, & it has been a great vehicle for her. I believe her daily route is over 100 miles. On nasty winter days, she will use her old Dodge Durango. Several rural carries in our area are now driving Jeep Wranglers set up for right side driving (special order vehicles). She somehow sits in the middle of her Cube and makes it work.

My previous postal carrier alway drove a Reliant K car. He used those cars for years. If your car isn't set up for right side driving, a bench seat was popular.

I don't mean to totally bash Nissan, but their reputation is tarnished. If I ever bought a used Nissan, the Frontier would be my only consideration, too.
    The last Cube looked great too. Too bad no one wanted to buy one here. GM is impressing me lately with their Dodges and Chevys. I'm going to have to pick up a C8 Corvette later.

My brother has a Frontier and its great. He lifted it, has a camper on it, and a snorkel.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nissan is cheap. Please don't get me started on Infiniti. My wife is leaving them because their warranty and parts availability is so garbage. Heaps of proprietary parts that get discontinued 3 years after the cars are sold. She can't get ANY parts for vehicles that need warranty repairs, and most new Infiniti's will come in a good 5 or 6 times for work in the first couple years.

And when propshaft u-joints stopped being made 7 years ago for a 12 year old vehicle, and the local custom driveline shop says they have no idea how to fix the propshaft with their entire inventory of parts.. you know you bought the wrong vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Meh, not surprised. Cheap/boring cars, junk transmissions. They turned the Sentra into something lame, the 370Z is outdated and they just focused on crossovers like everyone else.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting thing I saw the other day... Nissan has a factory near Nashville, TN and I was out in the country near the now defunct Nashville Super Speedway and decided to drive by to see it. To my surprise, the parking lot and infield were FILLED with cars, and upon further inspection, they were ALL BRAND NEW NISSANS.

After doing some investigating, apparently the factory just keeps pumping out product and they just park them in there hoping they will sell... What a terrible business model...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGreener View Post
    Meh, not surprised. Cheap/boring cars, junk transmissions. They turned the Sentra into something lame, the 370Z is outdated and they just focused on crossovers like everyone else.
    Bad transmission/ECU programming on Nissan's part could explain alot of the premature CVT failures. Mitsubishi and Suzuki dont have near as many documented incidents. And Im not just talking curb weight and torque either. The Outlander sport, which sells very well, isnt known to clunk out like a Nissan Rogue or Murano, and those two are considered the more reliable of their models. Altimas and Sentras by far, of any vehicle, of any manufacturer, have the biggest issues with their CVTs.