Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upside down Mirage photo

Upside down Mirage photo

Name:  17842235_web1_190725-NBU-ClarkDrive-Car-Flip.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  100.9 KB

Underpowered car punted off the road from behind?

(Sorry, nickels! )

Not very many details, other than fortunately no serious injuries.

News report: Woman taken to hospital after car flips over in crash

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's a top-heavy car. Could have easily been a single-car "yanked the car into a curve an imprudent speed". The stock tires "should" give up grip and slide before tossing the car, but if you do things just wrong... this could happen. Or, if you're sliding off the pavement and hit soft dirt and the tires dig in. Or if you're sliding and you hit a curb.

It doesn't take that much to toss a top-heavy car. This is why I've taken mine out of autocross competition.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Thankfully according to the article the driver wasn't seriously injured. But might be a cheap salvage to pick up and Plasma Purple too!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    The stock tires "should" give up grip and slide before tossing the car, but if you do things just wrong...
    Those treads don't look like Enasaves to me. What do you think?? But they do look skinny.

Agreed though - the Mirage is a tall car for its width. Almost crossover-y. (Just needs butch cladding and an angry face!)

With more and more people getting crossovers & small SUV's instead of conventional hatches & sedans, I'm seeing more relatively minor collisions result in one car tipped onto its side or roof where it otherwise would have been less serious.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Might not be Enasaves, but they're close enough to the same from a performance perspective. Narrow all-season tires.

Grippier tires are even more prone to making the car want to roll over. It's just a little harder to do on stock-equivalent tires.

Car makers are making the cars taller, less stable... and more powerful! Let's make the car FASTER and less stable, people will love it!

I wonder if the car pictured is a service loaner? It's got dealer graphics on the back window. If so... a bit of "rental car syndrome" coupled with "my car goes around this corner at this speed every day".
    Simplify and add lightness.

Is there a "crossover" class in auto-x? That could be entertaining.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    After watching some of Loren's video footage, I'm not sure I'd want to toss my Mirage around without some of these "training wheels" hooked up...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Loren (07-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Car makers are making the cars taller, less stable... and more powerful! Let's make the car FASTER and less stable, people will love it!
    CUV = Raised Station Wagon

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    CUV = Raised Station Wagon
    Pretty much. Which is what my FWD 5 speed manual Outlander Sport is. But I like station wagons.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Pretty much. Which is what my FWD 5 speed manual Outlander Sport is. But I like station wagons.
    Just for clarification - I wasn't bashing station wagons in the least. My first car was Honda Civic Wagon (college days). We drove a Plymouth Colt station wagon for years when my daughters were young. If the Mirage (same powertrain) came in a small station wagon form, I would be driving one now. Small wagon are so practical & useful!

If a person doesn't really need AWD, the 5-speed Outlander Sport is a great option! AWD just adds more costs, maintenance, & less fuel economy. A couple of you on this forum have gone out & bought these before they drop the manual option. I don't blame you!