Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Salesman led to confusion (considering getting a Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer7.62 View Post
    Thank you all for the responses. I checked the Mitsubishi website and it was wine red metallic, where they had it parked made it look more purple than red to me in person, but was a 2019 model.
    If you can get the VIN of the Mirage you are looking at, we can find the Monroney window sticker and see exactly how it is configured. Or, post a link to your dealer's page for that Mirage.

I’ve seen a lot about White Bear posted on here, but unfortunately it’s an 18 hour drive from here. Short of taking a train (in itself a day and a half,) it’s not too likely for me to get out there.
    If you really want to get a Mirage, you can save a lot on the purchase, justifying the cost of getting there.

The mirage seems like it’s a pretty frugal choice, and honestly is better equipped by far than my ‘04 Sentra was. However, I don’t think it’s worth it if I couldn’t find one under 12k (granted nothing short of hybrids seems to come very close on mileage as far as new cars.)

Though with that being said it would still probably be worthwhile in the long run as a secondary commuter car with that long warranty.
    Be certain that this little car will suit your needs before going further. Let me ask you a question - what was the smallest car you drove? Some folks cannot abide by such a modestly powered car, but that a big reason why the Mirage gets such good fuel economy, and that is the whole point of this car.

Ironically I’ve used this username for a very long time, before ever really listening to Slayer, I’m not too creative and just used it again on here lol. But the more I listen to them the more I’m liking.
    While I like their music, I disagree with their lyrics. That's Slayer.

By the way, what’s your verdict on the sound system in the long term? Worth it or better off spending on a regular aftermarket kit. I’m no audiophile, but hate tinny sounding speakers with no bass. I haven’t seen many people post about having it on here, though $500-600 is a lot for an option on a low cost car.
    When you compare the cost of buying an amp & subwoofer, the Mirage RF kit is a bit pricey, but not much. When you consider it has plug & play wiring and mounting hardware, and is custom tuned for the Mirage, I think it's a fair deal.

But I'll suggest that the audio system should not be the main reason for buying a Mirage in the first place.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't let this distract you from the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-02-2019),Marklovski (08-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    HereÂ’s the direct link to the website:
    https://www.tmmitsubishi.com/searchn...e&st=Price+asc
    And to the window sticker:
    https://www.tmmitsubishi.com/api/inv...loc=SrpDetails

The smallest two cars I’ve driven were a ‘04 Nissan Sentra 5spd and a ‘15 Honda Fit CVT. I think the Sentra was more similar in being more barebones, albeit on a decently larger chassis where as the Fit was closer in size, but was a mid trim car. I really couldn’t stand the cvt, and between that factor and the tiny engine is what would push me to the manual.

The car I really want is a new Honda Civic Si, which I realize is a drastically different car with a different purpose. However in the situation IÂ’m currently in IÂ’m thinking the the Mirage is basically a plan B, if my CRV dies sooner rather than later it would be something to get me to work cheaply, without throwing myself under a bus. There really arenÂ’t a lot of good options I see around here for used cars for a similar price that arenÂ’t either 120k+ miles or beat up from all the road salt.

I donÂ’t mind a small car at all and actually prefer more bare-bones vehicles, less to break down the road. From what IÂ’ve read on here some bigger guys (tall or larger) still fit in them pretty well (and IÂ’m under 6ft.) IÂ’d just rather have an audio system thatÂ’s livable in a vehicle that IÂ’m planning to keep 10 years, thus the interest in the audio kit.

Thank you all for the responses and information. I think a test drive is going to be in order for my near future, though as said before I donÂ’t like putting miles on someone elseÂ’s car so will probably wait until ready to purchase unless I can find a used manual nearby.

Out of curiosity, which cars did you guys cross-shop, the Versa and Spark? With the fiesta getting discontinued it seems there really arenÂ’t a lot of options for cheap economy cars.

My work compared the Mirage to the versa hatchback,spark and Micra. The Mirage ended up being the cheapest and had the best economy numbers on paper. We owned a spark that went through cvt's like crazy and won't buy another. The biggest problem I've had with Mitsubishi is dealing with the incompetent staff at the dealership service and parts desks. We've had 4 cvt failures so far, but zero engine or any other major issues. Just a few starters and few wheel bearings are all I can really recall this early in the morning. We've got close to 50 Mirages now I believe.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I donÂ’t mind a small car at all and actually prefer more bare-bones vehicles, less to break down the road. From what IÂ’ve read on here some bigger guys (tall or larger) still fit in them pretty well (and IÂ’m under 6ft.) IÂ’d just rather have an audio system thatÂ’s livable in a vehicle that IÂ’m planning to keep 10 years, thus the interest in the audio kit.
    Cruise, A/C, power windows, remote power locks, Radio (antenna & speakers), Tachometer, Traction/Stability Control, Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Intermittent/Speed Sensitive Wipers, TPMS, MPG gauge, Hill Start Assist, Tilt Steering, Rear Window Wiper, Rear Window Wash, 6-way adjustable driver's seat.

My previous economy car had none of these features. The 2019 Mirage ES MANUAL has all of them! If you prefer a more bare-bones vehicle, it's not the Mirage. Bare bones cars don't really exist in the U.S. any more. Bare bones means something else to me at least.

Canada has a more bare bones Mirage ES 5MT for $10,998 ($8,313 USD).

I am 6' 1" & 250+ pounds. I don't find the Mirage to be uncomfortable in the least, & my Mirage doesn't have the 6-way adjustable driver's seat like the 2019. I have owned both the 1st & 2nd generation Honda CRV. As far as comfort goes, the Mirage is just fine. I actually like the seats. I have no discomfort on long trips. My parents live 4 hours away. I do that distance often. I have done double that distance a few times. I have no issue with comfort.

Adding a radio is not a big deal. The car I mentioned above didn't even come with an antenna or speakers. Adding a radio, speakers, and antenna wasn't even that expensive. I wouldn't judge a car by something like that.

You don't seem to be in a hurry, & that can work in your favor. I found shopping for a Mirage to be somewhat ridiculous. Prices were all over the place. Rebates were confusing. I simply cut through all that crap. It's the dealers job to figure that all out for you. Make them do it.

This is just an approximate number, but I feel anything around 70% window sticker is a pretty good deal on these cars. I personally wouldn't pay more than that, but each person has to decide that for themselves. Just as a reference point, this is how things played out for me.

I test drove a 2018 Mirage ES (MANUAL) in October of 2017. My local dealer wanted over $13,000 OTD. I don't remember the exact figure any more. When I did the test drive, I already knew I could get a brand Mirage for $9,000. I asked this dealer if they would get me a discounted 2017 Mirage. They started making excuses. I cut them off and thanked them for the test drive.

The dealer I bought my Mirage from was White Bear Mitsubishi. They were advertising $9,500 Mirages most of the summer back then. When I finally called the general manager (now owner), he told me how I could get it for $9,000. After my local test drive, I call Richard Herod III back. I told him that I wanted a $9,000 Mirage. Keep in mind, he was sold out of them, too. He asked me for my top 3 color choices. About an hour or two later, he came back with my first color choice. The Mirage he found had the center armrest, Bluetooth (not standard then), and Pulse already added. He asked me if I was willing to pay $9299 or should he look for another $9,000 Mirage. I wasn't going to bicker at that point. The salesman that delivered my Mirage to my home said, my Mirage had 60 miles on it when he left the dealership. Thus, Richard didn't travel that far to get it for me. My car was not on cars.com or autotrader.com, but he knew where it was. It was at another Mitsubishi dealership in the Twin Cities that has since closed their doors.

I paid 10,153.73 OTD for my 2017 Mirage ES MANUAL. Window stick on my Mirage was $14,220 ($9,299/14,220 = 65.4%) If I had qualified for current Mitsubishi owner or military discounts it would have been less. I bought my Mirage from my recliner, & I saved myself well over $3,000 doing so.

Contrary to what some will say, I could have bought a Mirage for $9,000 all summer long. I waited until Fall, because of family (daughters weddings). In the past two years, more stuff has been added to the base Mirage. I wouldn't expect to find one under $10,000 any more. One of those new added features is cruise and that is a nice one.

If I was buying a Mirage today, it would have to in that $10,500-11,000 range. I really like my Mirage, but I wouldn't pay more than $12,000 OTD for one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just a note on the shifter notchiness. These things are often impossible to put into certain gears if the engine isn't running. So if you were just sitting in it at the dealer, this is probably what you were feeling. Once you are out on the road, you will find it is quite the opposite.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    May I suggest looking for a used one? There are plenty of very good used Mirage's out there, and we know they last very well, so why not let some other sucker foot the depreciation.

A salesman's job is to sell, sell as much as possible at the highest possible price. He does not necessarily know anything more about cars than hip hype and pictures in a brochure.

You have your own brains to make your own good decision, you don't really need or want a salesman to decide for you. After all, you have to foot the bill, a salesman just wants to collect your money...
    Last edited by foama; 08-01-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I found shopping for a Mirage to be somewhat ridiculous. Prices were all over the place.
    Not only are prices all over the place, but locating a manual transmission model is nearly impossible in some markets. I don't know why, but Mitsubishi dealers around me simply don't stock them. So you may have to travel a bit to find what you're looking for. I had to drive a 650 mile round trip to purchase mine.

For example...I just checked 4 dealers within a 40 minute drive for me and here's what turned up:

DEALER #1
    Total Mirages in Stock: 5
    Mirages with Manual Trans: 0

DEALER #2
    Total Mirages in Stock: 19

DEALER #3
    Total Mirages in Stock: 13

DEALER #4
    Total Mirages in Stock: 24

Chances of me finding a manual transmission Mirage in an acceptable color at a rock-bottom price...locally: Zero

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Chances of me finding a manual transmission Mirage in an acceptable color at a rock-bottom price...locally: Zero
    It think it speaks to overall low uptake of manual transmissions by new car buyers. With the Mirage's limited power, a manual transmission would be best (and I have a CVT). As hard to find as a manual transmission Mirage is, try looking for a manual transmission Outlander Sport at your local dealers. I drove a 950 mile round trip to pick up my 5 speed manual Outlander Sport.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love that Wine Red Metallic. That would have been the color I chose but, could not find that color with a manual. So, I went with Gray Metallic.