Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Salesman led to confusion (considering getting a Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I’m sure the wine red would grow on me, just wouldn’t be my top choice.

Fummins, that’s interesting to hear the number of failures, then again in a fleet setting they’re probably seeing harder/more use than a lot of the commuter cars. I’m assuming you guys don’t have any manuals? I haven’t really seen many complains about the manuals short of people hoping for a 6th year or different ratio for 1st.

Mark, you make a good point. It really is amazing what you get for the amount that people pay for them, maybe not barebones but they still seem a little more simplistic (and thus more reliable) then a lot of the modern cars.

Basic, I didn’t have the car running at the time so that’s probably it. Was used to my Sentra that would shift into any gear without and issue with the engine off (but granted that car was 6 years old when I got it and had 120k miles.)

Foama, I would spring for a used manual if I found one, but alongside what Top_Fuel said, there aren’t many up here, used or new. Separate from performance vehicles, it seems most dealers here stock extremely minimal amounts of manuals, and that’s reflected in used cars too now.

All things being said I’m probably narrowing my search on myself by just looking at the hatchbacks. That’s chiefly been due to the sedan seats (from what I’ve read) not folding. Though I’d imagine a small utility trailer or roof rack w/ case would solve that issue.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I would contact a few dealerships within a radius of what you are willing to travel. The 2019 Mirage ES Manual is a very nice car. If you want a car that is affordable, reliable, and economical, the Mirage is hard to beat. One member has 260,000+ miles on a Mirage with a manual. No clutch or transmission issues for him so far.

Looking for a used one is not a bad suggestion. If you can get a new one for somewhere near $11,000 (12,000 OTD), however, I wouldn't overlook that. You would benefit from all the warranties (5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper, 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain, 5-year/unlimited mile roadside assistance). My dealer threw in a lifetime/unlimited mileage warranty into the deal. It's not a car I expect to take to a dealership, however. If I thought that, I wouldn't have bought it.

You need to find someone who is willing to help you. I would make some simple inquires. It's pretty easy to sort out the good verses the bad dealerships. Cars are coming and going all the time. A dealership may have some cars on order. They may be able to pick up a car for you along the way. Are all the Mirages distributed in the U.S. or are some sitting near a port where the ships bring them in? I really don't know? There's no need to settle when buying a new car. I would settle for a good deal on a used one, but I wouldn't do that on a new one.

We are all speculating with you. I would find a good general manager, & get a sense of what is out there. Looking at cars.com, autotrader.com, & dealership websites may not reflect what's out there. I thought I knew what was out there. Within 5 minute of talking to Richard (general manager @ White Bear), I realized his access to cars goes way beyond my resources.

I hope you find a good deal on one!
    Last edited by Mark; 08-02-2019 at 04:59 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer7.62 View Post
    My apologies if this is the wrong part of the forum.

I was near a Mitsubishi dealership yesterday and decided to stop and check out the mirages they had in stock (only a purple one in manual, what I think I’d prefer.) The salesman (don’t want to give his name) seemed pretty adamant about not being able to add the Rockford fosgate audio as an accessory, only from the factory. Is that actually the case? I was under the impression that you could buy it after the fact and instal it yourself.

Hi Slayer7.62, I think I replied to the wrong person in this thread. I'd test drive the purple 5 speed manual. I have a 2014 thunder grey Mirage myself bought brand new from the dealer. Had to wait 3 weeks or more for the car. Overall my Mirage is small on the road, and not that fast but kinda peppy if you get the manual. It's very loud engine with the windows down. Handles very well* and better ride than Toyota or Honda.

I wouldn't customize the car. It's good as it is 5+ years 50 MPG every summer not the winter

Really loud engine. 5 Speed manual is OK but 4th gear rattles from day one. Not the whole car, but the gear box. Not sure why. Stalls super easy. Not everyone's cup of tea.

*low speeds the steering has no feel

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Be certain that this little car will suit your needs before going further.
    This is very important. Some people have bought a Mirage and soon realized they didn't like what the car was all about. One person even wanted to get rid of his because his car-less FRIENDS gave him a hard time about it.

There have been a few threads here that go something along the lines of, "I hate my Mirage now. It is sooooo ____! I tried to trade it in on a _____ and the dealership would only give me $_____ for it!"

Before buying a 70 horsepower hatchback just be sure a 70 horsepower hatchback is what you really want. Try to trade it in after a year or two and you will lose your shirt...especially if you financed it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-02-2019),mainertodd (08-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Don't let this distract you from the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon.
    This is the best single-sentence post of the entire week.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Don't let this distract you from the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon.
    You know, some people say that his knee was down...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    This is very important. Some people have bought a Mirage and soon realized they didn't like what the car was all about. One person even wanted to get rid of his because his car-less FRIENDS gave him a hard time about it.

There have been a few threads here that go something along the lines of, "I hate my Mirage now. It is sooooo ____! I tried to trade it in on a _____ and the dealership would only give me $_____ for it!"

Before buying a 70 horsepower hatchback just be sure a 70 horsepower hatchback is what you really want. Try to trade it in after a year or two and you will lose your shirt...especially if you financed it.
    Everybody's experiences with vehicles are different. People have different expectations and value some things more that others when it comes to cars.

If you are giving up a Geo Metro to get a new Mirage, the Mirage may "wow" you. If you have been driving larger more powerful vehicles most of your life, the Mirage isn't probably going to win you over during a test drive.

I drove 65 miles in my Subaru Forester to test drive a Mirage. It was a rainy, wet evening after school. The Mirage didn't exactly "wow" me at the time, but there was a time when I also drove 1990 Ford Festiva for 14 years. My expectations of an affordable economy car were realistic during the test drive. In my case, the Mirage has grown on me like I expected it would. It's not the perfect car for everyone.

If you have a Mirage ES MANUAL nearby, I would definitely test drive it before it is gone. There's nothing wrong about doing that. I test drove a 2018 Mirage ES MANUAL that night knowing I was going to buy a discounted 2017 Mirage ES MANUAL regardless. In all fairness to that dealership, I told them exactly what I wanted after the test drive. In return, I got excuses. It made it easy to walk away. That was a Monday night.

I contacted another dealership that was also sold out of 2017 Mirage ES MANUAL & gave them my top color choices the next day. That same week (Saturday) my Mirage in my first color choice was sitting in my driveway. It may not work that way for everyone, but some dealerships are way better than others.

I don't find the Mirage to be loud at all. I drive with the windows down most of the summer. I seldom use A/C. I like the sound of the motor. I think it's amazingly quiet for a small car. Then again, I've never owned a luxury vehicle. It does everything I would expect a small economy car to do. It's not going to pull a loaded trailer like my Forester, but my Forester isn't going to get 40-50 mpg on every gas tank either.

If you are on the fence, go do a test drive. I wouldn't feel bad about driving a car you may not be interested in buying. Mitsubishi would want you to do a test drive. They won't care where you buy the car later on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Re: the OP's question about upgrading the audio: as an alternative to (or in addition to) installing the Rockford Fosgate kit, it looks like you can prettily easily upgrade the door speakers yourself. There's a good thread on that here: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...er-replacement

(Also, Eggman has some great installation info on both the Rockford system and new speakers in his garage entry, which you can find here: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...Garage-entry)]
    Last edited by mainertodd; 08-02-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Cruise, A/C, power windows, remote power locks, Radio (antenna & speakers), Tachometer, Traction/Stability Control, Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Intermittent/Speed Sensitive Wipers, TPMS, MPG gauge, Hill Start Assist, Tilt Steering, Rear Window Wiper, Rear Window Wash, 6-way adjustable driver's seat.

My previous economy car had none of these features. The 2019 Mirage ES MANUAL has all of them! If you prefer a more bare-bones vehicle, it's not the Mirage. Bare bones cars don't really exist in the U.S. any more. Bare bones means something else to me at least.

Canada has a more bare bones Mirage ES 5MT for $10,998 ($8,313 USD).

I am 6' 1" & 250+ pounds. I don't find the Mirage to be uncomfortable in the least, & my Mirage doesn't have the 6-way adjustable driver's seat like the 2019. I have owned both the 1st & 2nd generation Honda CRV. As far as comfort goes, the Mirage is just fine. I actually like the seats. I have no discomfort on long trips. My parents live 4 hours away. I do that distance often. I have done double that distance a few times. I have no issue with comfort.

Adding a radio is not a big deal. The car I mentioned above didn't even come with an antenna or speakers. Adding a radio, speakers, and antenna wasn't even that expensive. I wouldn't judge a car by something like that.

You don't seem to be in a hurry, & that can work in your favor. I found shopping for a Mirage to be somewhat ridiculous. Prices were all over the place. Rebates were confusing. I simply cut through all that crap. It's the dealers job to figure that all out for you. Make them do it.

This is just an approximate number, but I feel anything around 70% window sticker is a pretty good deal on these cars. I personally wouldn't pay more than that, but each person has to decide that for themselves. Just as a reference point, this is how things played out for me.

I test drove a 2018 Mirage ES (MANUAL) in October of 2017. My local dealer wanted over $13,000 OTD. I don't remember the exact figure any more. When I did the test drive, I already knew I could get a brand Mirage for $9,000. I asked this dealer if they would get me a discounted 2017 Mirage. They started making excuses. I cut them off and thanked them for the test drive.

The dealer I bought my Mirage from was White Bear Mitsubishi. They were advertising $9,500 Mirages most of the summer back then. When I finally called the general manager (now owner), he told me how I could get it for $9,000. After my local test drive, I call Richard Herod III back. I told him that I wanted a $9,000 Mirage. Keep in mind, he was sold out of them, too. He asked me for my top 3 color choices. About an hour or two later, he came back with my first color choice. The Mirage he found had the center armrest, Bluetooth (not standard then), and Pulse already added. He asked me if I was willing to pay $9299 or should he look for another $9,000 Mirage. I wasn't going to bicker at that point. The salesman that delivered my Mirage to my home said, my Mirage had 60 miles on it when he left the dealership. Thus, Richard didn't travel that far to get it for me. My car was not on cars.com or autotrader.com, but he knew where it was. It was at another Mitsubishi dealership in the Twin Cities that has since closed their doors.

I paid 10,153.73 OTD for my 2017 Mirage ES MANUAL. Window stick on my Mirage was $14,220 ($9,299/14,220 = 65.4%) If I had qualified for current Mitsubishi owner or military discounts it would have been less. I bought my Mirage from my recliner, & I saved myself well over $3,000 doing so.

Contrary to what some will say, I could have bought a Mirage for $9,000 all summer long. I waited until Fall, because of family (daughters weddings). In the past two years, more stuff has been added to the base Mirage. I wouldn't expect to find one under $10,000 any more. One of those new added features is cruise and that is a nice one.

If I was buying a Mirage today, it would have to in that $10,500-11,000 range. I really like my Mirage, but I wouldn't pay more than $12,000 OTD for one.
    If I had a dollar for every time I've heard you tell this story I'd have like 13 or 14 buckaroos now lol.

But honestly white bear is a Mitsubishi juggernaut. They may be highest volume Mitsubishi dealer in the country because they have tons of plaques on the wall stating #1 outlander sport dealer in the United states. They have at least half a dozen of those.
    They also always say the outlander sport in the twin cities best selling small suv, all due to their volume!! That's crazy considering it doesnt sell well nationally.

A one way ticket to Msp would be like 150 bucks. I'll bet you they would pick you up too. Then drive back.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    If I had a dollar for every time I've heard you tell this story I'd have like 13 or 14 buckaroos now lol.

But honestly white bear is a Mitsubishi juggernaut. They may be highest volume Mitsubishi dealer in the country because they have tons of plaques on the wall stating #1 outlander sport dealer in the United states. They have at least half a dozen of those.
    They also always say the outlander sport in the twin cities best selling small suv, all due to their volume!! That's crazy considering it doesnt sell well nationally.

A one way ticket to Msp would be like 150 bucks. I'll bet you they would pick you up too. Then drive back.
    I am guilty of over telling my story, & I apologize for that! My point, however, is great deals can be had on this car. The dealerships are all over the place with the pricing of this car, & some of them are way out of line. I don't believe it's necessary to go to White Bear Mitsubishi, but some dealerships are much better than others.

These are some numbers from someone who bought this car more recently (posted last month) -

"Hey Mark!
    This is John that you emailed a few months back to answer a few question about your buying experience with White Bear.
    I had similiar experience with Richard. Great guy, straight forward. He got my 5spd down to $10,250 before taxes.
    My local dealer in Michigan got down to $10,500 before taxes.
    Out the door did between the two was $400. Local dealer had higher doc for and misc.
    For White Bear to deliver would have made it a wash(I'm 10 hours away). Thought about flying to Minn and driving 10 hours back, but made no sense and could not leave Mom alone.
    Just missed, by a few months getting $999 off for financing $10k. Would brought car down to $9,250 before taxes. NUTS!
    That was my goal, but, overall, content with final price.
    Car is all I was hoping/expecting it to be."

Each year more stuff has been added to the base level Mirage. Cruise added this year is probably one of the nicest features, & it does add to the value of the car. If someone can get a Mirage ES Manual for $10,500 or below, I think that's a heck of deal. Getting a brand new Mirage for $11,000-12,000 OTD is not an unreasonable suggestion. White Bear's approach to the Mirage is final price + approximately $1,000 to push it out the door. That would cover everything (taxes, registration, document charges, new plates, & whatever). If they are selling a Mirage for $10,999, you can sort of expect it to be around $12,000 OTD.

You can use financing offers (rebates) to your advantage, too. Even my own credit union said take the rebate. Even if you wanted to pay cash, financing may give you a better deal. I only share these things to be helpful. If it comes across another way, I am sorry about that!

Mitsubishi dealerships remind me of unsupervised children. Some behave regardless of being supervised. Others don't really know how to act on their own. If these cars were priced more appropriately, more Americans would take note of them. Car critics would have to acknowledge this car is in a league of its own. That message is somewhat lost because of how this car is presently marketed here.

If White Bear was willing to send two employees to my home (8 hours on the road for both of them that day) to make a deal happen, I think they would be willing to pick someone up at the airport in the Twin Cities. A person shouldn't have to do that to get a good deal on these cars.

Last edited by Mark; 08-03-2019 at 06:08 AM.