Thread: Is the Mirage a Compact or Subcompact?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is the Mirage a Compact or Subcompact?

I was looking at economy numbers and came across this https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/most-fuel-ef...vehicles/21004
    that shows the spark is the most efficient subcompact. After checking out our governments hard to navigate website I found a downloadable copy of their data. They seem to classify the Mirage as a compact and put it in the same category as the Prius C. I"m not sure if this has been brought up before but it doesn't make much sense to me. If I were a Mitsubishi exec I'd be whining.
    Or am I just retarded and the Mirage should be in the same class as Prius?
    Last edited by Fummins; 08-01-2019 at 09:48 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I was looking at economy numbers and came across this https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/most-fuel-ef...vehicles/21004
    that shows the spark is the most efficient subcompact. After checking out our governments hard to navigate website I found a downloadable copy of their data. They seem to classify the Mirage as a compact and put it in the same category as the Prius C. I"m not sure if this has been brought up before but it doesn't make much sense to me. If I were a Mitsubishi exec I'd be whining.
    I am using Kelly Bluebook (kbb.com) as my source for the U.S. -

subcompact hatchbacks include -
    2019 Honda Fit
    2019 BMW i3
    2019 KIA Rio
    2019 Chevy Sonic
    2019 Chevy Spark
    2019 Nissan Versa Note
    2019 Mitsubishi Mirage
    2019 Ford Fiesta
    2019 Toyota Prius C
    2018 Toyota Yaris

They list a small hatchback group - basically the Fiat 500 cars & 2018 electric Smart fourtwo make that up.

The compact models - are cars like the Civic, Elantra, Prius Prime, & Golf.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I don't care what label they call it, totally meaningless to me! Maybe important to sales people.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Geo Prizm is clearly a compact.

The G4 is 3 inches shorter and 1 inch more narrow yet is a subcompact.

Unless the cutoff is 66x170 inches just above the size of the G4 or something that points to the categorization being very arbitrary.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Well Fummins it's the interior volume space that makes the Mirage oddly a compact car, and not a subcompact. They measure cars for the room passengers have, interior space.

So the Mirage really is like a Mini on the outside, but more than you'd expect interior. Even to the point the car goes from subcompact to compact (Prius maybe beats the fuel economy)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-02-2019),emdeplam (08-02-2019),Fummins (08-02-2019),MetroMPG (08-06-2019)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At least in the U.S., it's the Environmental Protection Agency that defines the category the vehicle falls in, and that is determined by interior volume. This is why the Ford Mustang was once labeled as subcompact, where as the Nissan Versa was a midsize. Personally, I believe the Mirage is 100% subcompact.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-06-2019)