Thread: Opinions on swapping 2018 ES radio out with older Navigation unit from 2014 model?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Opinions on swapping 2018 ES radio out with older Navigation unit from 2014 model?

Like the title says. I've got a 2018 EX with the touch screen radio. I like the radio, but would LOVE GPS. I found a older Mirage Nav unit from a 2014 with all the wiring for around $250.00

Is it a good radio? Is it a better or worse radio than what I have now?

Anyone swapped one out? any issues they have had?

The other option is a SE model radio with carplay , but I don't really use my smart phone much and reception is poor at best where I live so I'm not sure that would be the way to go.

Thoughts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I am not sure anyone has tried this swap. I want to say that somebody did try to swap a Nav Radio from an earlier Mirage into an earlier Mirage, and it was not so easy.

Have you considered any aftermarket options?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was hoping to stick with factory look, but... I can do the newer car play radio if that is the only way to upgrade, but like I said I don't really use a cell phone so I'd have to have it in the car whenever I needed the GPS to work. Seems silly that this is the way all cars are going, but I guess we live in a world where everyone had their phone on them at all times.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
    ...I don't really use a cell phone so I'd have to have it in the car whenever I needed the GPS to work.
    I don't use my cell phone for navigation. I don't find it convenient. The occasional times I need navigation I still use a Garmin stuck to my windshield. It's probably considered "old-school" but it works great for me. I haven't been that impressed with most factory navigation systems.

Is the factory navigation system in the Mirage any good? And do you have to update it periodically?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I still use a Garmin stuck to my windshield. It's probably considered "old-school" but it works great for me.
    I thought "old school" was using a paper map or travel atlas?

I have to admit that I like Google maps on my smart phone. I find it pretty accurate in estimating time of arrival, & it is constantly updating according to road conditions up ahead. It has save me some travel time on a few occasions when it has given me an alternative route around accidents or construction zones.

There are times when you lose a signal when you want it the most, however.

Stopping at a gas station and asking for directions, now that's probably "old school" for sure!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I thought "old school" was using a paper map or travel atlas?
    Hey...I still have one of those in my car somewhere. Always gotta have a plan B when technology lets you down.

Ask for directions? I'll drive 400 miles the wrong way before that happens!!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I don't use my cell phone for navigation. I don't find it convenient. The occasional times I need navigation I still use a Garmin stuck to my windshield. It's probably considered "old-school" but it works great for me. :
    Ha! Glad I am not the only one. I have a Garmin Nuvi 1100 in every car I own. I am just so used to looking up at the corner of my windshield and seeing a map that I won't own a car that doesn't have one.

The only time I use the cellphone is when for some reason the Garmin can't find something.