Thread: Mirage at the LA Auto Show

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage at the LA Auto Show

Spent an entire 13 hours at the show today, phew! And a good portion in the Mitsubishi area. All of the cars they had on display were white, which made the display look consistent, but also made their lineup look a little dull. What I notice with most auto shows is that folks don't really care, or know much about cars, and get more excited over giveaways or anything free (even if it's lousy junk that no one wants). Mitsubishi had a $500 drawing for anyone filling out a survey and also free Mitsubishi t-shirts and a poster

They had two Mirages at the show; an ES and a DE, both automatics. I spent a lot of time in both, and much preferred the ES. The ES was on display on the stage, but they encouraged people to sit in it. They also had some Mirage brochures at the booth.

It was interesting to compare it to some of the other cars I've been considering purchasing under the same roof. Overall, it compares favorably and impressed my best friend, who is particular with cars. It makes a good showroom impression, but I'm still waiting to go on a longer test drive or rent one to see how it is long distance. The value just can't be beat on it, and it felt just as roomy as some larger cars, like the Sonic and Accent.

It's also fun to listen to what some people have to say about it as they roam around; most comments about the impressive fuel economy, and many jokes about the three cylinder (i.e. "will it get up my driveway?!)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to festiboi For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-28-2013),Mikhail (11-24-2013)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for the pics.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    festiboi, thank you for your post and pics. I decided to skip this year's show after 5 times in a row since I came to US. Unfortunately, there is nothing new at Mitsubishi's stand, and I already test-drove their cars . And I'm not interested in other brands.

Mirage in White and with body kit looks brilliant.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Nice ... thanks for the pics. Gosh the red button/lamp on the side of the rear bumper looks very ugly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nice pics. Thanks for posting them and your opinions up.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been to the show a few times now (don't judge!) and have shown a few people the Mirage. Opinions were mixed. My best friend, a fellow avid car fanatic, wouldn't own one himself but gets it; saying it's cute and will no doubt be reliable. Another friend, big into SUV's, felt nervous even sitting in it, but with my quirky taste in cars, understands the appeal and thought the car was very well equipped. My mother was extremely harsh, stating it's a car for a teenage girl and not for a grown man, ouch! To her, it felt cheap and nasty, too small, and the 3-cylinder was a joke. We had visited Hyundai earlier and she was just obcessed with the Elantra GT for me; nice car but more than I want to spend, and honestly, too much car for what I need. Since it's my hard earned money paying for the next car, it's ultimately my decision, but good to get the various views on this car.

I just really wish they had placed a green, red, or blue one on display. Everyone said it looks bland, which it does. I kept repeating myself throughout the week "just imagine it in a bright, vibrant color like the ones in the brochure, it'll look so much more interesting"

I just really wish they had placed a green, red, or blue one on display. Everyone said it looks bland, which it does.
    I kind of like the idea of all white vehicles on display. Seems clean, minimalist. But probably also boring, as you say.

I kept repeating myself throughout the week "just imagine it in a bright, vibrant color like the ones in the brochure, it'll look so much more interesting"
    You would probably get a kick from the opinion of the Jalopnik reviewer on the Mirage's colours: http://jalopnik.com/2014-mitsubishi-...iew-1472224538
    He goes on for about 3 or 4 paragraphs about the colour choices!

Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Nice ... thanks for the pics. Gosh the red button/lamp on the side of the rear bumper looks very ugly.
    I agree - I don't know why they didn't just incorporate the rear/side reflector in the tail-light assembly. Obviously it's not a requirement in most countries, or it would be there already. There are a couple of other Euro/Asian cars which came to North America with the side/rear reflector that looks "stuck on", like the 1st generation Smart Fortwo in Canada:

Name:  1383151941187_resized.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  41.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)