Thread: Yet another KBB comparison article questioning Mitsu reliability

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Bad air out Dirk, good air in. Hyper-stressing over things that are beyond your control is well, wasted time and energy. You can make sure your CVT's get serviced on a regular basis. You do that and you'll be ahead of 99% of owners. Beyond that, there really isn't anything to be gained. I personally think that most of the wear happens in the CVT at stops and heavy traffic. The "Idle Neutral Logic" is basically useless when you understand the very limited set of circumstances in which it operates. Which is why I place my CVT in neutral manually at every stop where I'm stopped for more than about 10 seconds. The owners manual has verbage that also states in heavy traffic or extensive idling, place the transmission in neutral. So I do, my CVT has been great with 77K miles, no issues. I'm planning on doing both filters and fluid change at 100K.
    I agree with everything Inuvik said here. There are no guarantees with anything mechanical. Mechanical things sometimes break down. You take care of things & hope for the best.

Like you have already said numerous times, the Mitsubishi CVT seems to fair better than their counterparts in other brands. There a several automatic transmissions that are creating problems for owners. It goes beyond CVT options.

I know of one person that owns a Dodge Ram pickup, & they are on their 3rd transmission @ 55,000 miles. Their truck is not overly abused either. Our 2016 Ford Focus driver's ed. vehicles are having all sorts of transmission issues. We talking major repairs done before 15,000 miles on one of our cars.

You may have one of the better options out there. A lot of transmissions have been put on the market in recent years to gain economy, and it's been a bit of an experiment. When it happens at your expense, it is upsetting.

Nissan is aware they have a problem, and they seem somewhat willing to address it. See quote or article below:

"The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first. ... This extended transmission warranty is also fully transferable to future owners of your vehicle."Aug 31, 2018

https://www.valerolaw.com/news/2018/...anty-extension

If a company is willing to admit they have a problem & they are willing to address it, I have some respect for that. Is this being driven by a class action lawsuits? I don't know? The bottom line is Nissan can't continue to lose customers. Why lose the customers who already embrace your products?

At this point in history, we should be making super dependable vehicles. Imagine a car that never rusted out, never wore out, or had affordable replacement parts for those items that do wear out. Where's the money in that for automakers?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-05-2019)