Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Yet another KBB comparison article questioning Mitsu reliability

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,566
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 506 Times in 397 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Bad air out Dirk, good air in. Hyper-stressing over things that are beyond your control is well, wasted time and energy. You can make sure your CVT's get serviced on a regular basis. You do that and you'll be ahead of 99% of owners. Beyond that, there really isn't anything to be gained. I personally think that most of the wear happens in the CVT at stops and heavy traffic. The "Idle Neutral Logic" is basically useless when you understand the very limited set of circumstances in which it operates. Which is why I place my CVT in neutral manually at every stop where I'm stopped for more than about 10 seconds. The owners manual has verbage that also states in heavy traffic or extensive idling, place the transmission in neutral. So I do, my CVT has been great with 77K miles, no issues. I'm planning on doing both filters and fluid change at 100K.
    I agree with everything Inuvik said here. There are no guarantees with anything mechanical. Mechanical things sometimes break down. You take care of things & hope for the best.

    Like you have already said numerous times, the Mitsubishi CVT seems to fair better than their counterparts in other brands. There a several automatic transmissions that are creating problems for owners. It goes beyond CVT options.

    I know of one person that owns a Dodge Ram pickup, & they are on their 3rd transmission @ 55,000 miles. Their truck is not overly abused either. Our 2016 Ford Focus driver's ed. vehicles are having all sorts of transmission issues. We talking major repairs done before 15,000 miles on one of our cars.

    You may have one of the better options out there. A lot of transmissions have been put on the market in recent years to gain economy, and it's been a bit of an experiment. When it happens at your expense, it is upsetting.

    Nissan is aware they have a problem, and they seem somewhat willing to address it. See quote or article below:

    "The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first. ... This extended transmission warranty is also fully transferable to future owners of your vehicle."Aug 31, 2018

    https://www.valerolaw.com/news/2018/...anty-extension

    If a company is willing to admit they have a problem & they are willing to address it, I have some respect for that. Is this being driven by a class action lawsuits? I don't know? The bottom line is Nissan can't continue to lose customers. Why lose the customers who already embrace your products?

    At this point in history, we should be making super dependable vehicles. Imagine a car that never rusted out, never wore out, or had affordable replacement parts for those items that do wear out. Where's the money in that for automakers?



  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

    Dirk Diggler (08-05-2019)

  3. #12
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    836
    Thanks
    525
    Thanked 111 Times in 91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

    If you want a manual, you would need to find a used 2018 Rio or older model. Once a manual option gets dropped, they seldom come back.
    Turns out you can get a 2019 Rio manual transmission... in Canada. Not sure what 2020 or later, will bring. Too bad Kia USA axed the manual on all their models then I presume.

    The ditching manual transmissions trend is hitting Canada too. Also, I think it's related that many car companies don't even make a real base model anymore. No wonder cars are so expensive these days.

    Here's to hoping I get the chance to buy a 2021 6 speed manual Rio sedan. We will see if that will happen or not. I'm sure there is gonna be a 2021 manual Rio in Mexico and Puerto Rico, and many other places.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


  4. #13
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,134
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 119 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Bad air out Dirk, good air in. Hyper-stressing over things that are beyond your control is well, wasted time and energy. You can make sure your CVT's get serviced on a regular basis. You do that and you'll be ahead of 99% of owners. Beyond that, there really isn't anything to be gained. I personally think that most of the wear happens in the CVT at stops and heavy traffic. The "Idle Neutral Logic" is basically useless when you understand the very limited set of circumstances in which it operates. Which is why I place my CVT in neutral manually at every stop where I'm stopped for more than about 10 seconds. The owners manual has verbage that also states in heavy traffic or extensive idling, place the transmission in neutral. So I do, my CVT has been great with 77K miles, no issues. I'm planning on doing both filters and fluid change at 100K.
    Solid advice. I always look forward to your post, considering you and Fummins have the CVT or work on the CVT. I appreciate the support from the manual folks too, but its nice to know theres still have few CVT guys on here posting.

  5. #14
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,134
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 119 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I agree with everything Inuvik said here. There are no guarantees with anything mechanical. Mechanical things sometimes break down. You take care of things & hope for the best.

    Like you have already said numerous times, the Mitsubishi CVT seems to fair better than their counterparts in other brands. There a several automatic transmissions that are creating problems for owners. It goes beyond CVT options.

    I know of one person that owns a Dodge Ram pickup, & they are on their 3rd transmission @ 55,000 miles. Their truck is not overly abused either. Our 2016 Ford Focus driver's ed. vehicles are having all sorts of transmission issues. We talking major repairs done before 15,000 miles on one of our cars.

    You may have one of the better options out there. A lot of transmissions have been put on the market in recent years to gain economy, and it's been a bit of an experiment. When it happens at your expense, it is upsetting.

    Nissan is aware they have a problem, and they seem somewhat willing to address it. See quote or article below:

    "The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first. ... This extended transmission warranty is also fully transferable to future owners of your vehicle."Aug 31, 2018

    https://www.valerolaw.com/news/2018/...anty-extension

    If a company is willing to admit they have a problem & they are willing to address it, I have some respect for that. Is this being driven by a class action lawsuits? I don't know? The bottom line is Nissan can't continue to lose customers. Why lose the customers who already embrace your products?

    At this point in history, we should be making super dependable vehicles. Imagine a car that never rusted out, never wore out, or had affordable replacement parts for those items that do wear out. Where's the money in that for automakers?
    I just pray Mitsubishi extends a CVT warranty for their customers.

  6. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,566
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 506 Times in 397 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Turns out you can get a 2019 Rio manual transmission... in Canada. Not sure what 2020 or later, will bring. Too bad Kia USA axed the manual on all their models then I presume.

    The ditching manual transmissions trend is hitting Canada too. Also, I think it's related that many car companies don't even make a real base model anymore. No wonder cars are so expensive these days.

    Here's to hoping I get the chance to buy a 2021 6 speed manual Rio sedan. We will see if that will happen or not. I'm sure there is gonna be a 2021 manual Rio in Mexico and Puerto Rico, and many other places.
    Oh yeah! I forgot you are a neighbor to the north!

    Base models & manuals are disappearing fast!

  7. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Maryland
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Turns out you can get a 2019 Rio manual transmission... in Canada. Not sure what 2020 or later, will bring. Too bad Kia USA axed the manual on all their models then I presume.

    The ditching manual transmissions trend is hitting Canada too. Also, I think it's related that many car companies don't even make a real base model anymore. No wonder cars are so expensive these days.

    Here's to hoping I get the chance to buy a 2021 6 speed manual Rio sedan. We will see if that will happen or not. I'm sure there is gonna be a 2021 manual Rio in Mexico and Puerto Rico, and many other places.
    You're better off with an Accent, anyway, unless you really hate electronics. The base Accent SE 6MT comes with power windows, power locks, and cruise control, unlike the Rio (back when they still offered a Rio 6MT). If I'm not mistaken, both the Rio and Accent are made by Kia in Kia's Mexico factory, so they're incredibly, incredibly similar from a mechanical and reliability standpoint.

    Rumor is that the Accent will still have a manual for 2020, but that hasn't been confirmed. I personally think the 2019 Accent SE 6MT is a great value. I've test-driven two SEs with automatics, but none with a manual so far (they're really scarce around my area). There are multiple reviews praising the Accent's manual transmission as among the best Hyundai/Kia has ever made.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to mainertodd For This Useful Post:

    dspace9 (08-05-2019)

  9. #17
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    836
    Thanks
    525
    Thanked 111 Times in 91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post

    Rumor is that the Accent will still have a manual for 2020, but that hasn't been confirmed. I personally think the 2019 Accent SE 6MT is a great value. I've test-driven two SEs with automatics, but none with a manual so far (they're really scarce around my area). There are multiple reviews praising the Accent's manual transmission as among the best Hyundai/Kia has ever made.
    Mainertodd clone cars for sure, but I like the looks of the Rio 5 door over the new Accent.

    To Dirk's main point, back in the day my sister had a 1999 Kia sedan, brand new. Like a Kia version of the Corolla.
    One of the first Kia's to hit Canada's shores. The Kia had an automatic, and it was slowwww. Like dangerously slow. Kia's have gone a long way, and when reviews say millions of owners are pretty happy with reliable new Kia's, it says something. Mitsubishi cars, my Mirage and many others, very reliable.

    Here is the kicker though Dirk: lacklustre service by Mitsubishi's mediocre dealer and parts networks... they aren't up to par. Like to the standards of what Kia is today in 2019. In 1999 Kia was the small fish now look.

    Yes Dirk you do see more older Mitsubishi's on the road, than old Kia's. But maybe new Kia's are really good too and will last the test of time.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


  10. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Maryland
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Mainertodd clone cars for sure, but I like the looks of the Rio 5 door over the new Accent.
    Sorry, I missed that you were in Canada. I agree, the Rio 5-door is nicer looking than the Accent sedan. They only offer it here in S trim now, and only with an automatic, which is a bit of a shame. Kia's whole strategy on trim levels for the Rio, sedan and hatchback, is bizarre. You can't get a Rio in the U.S. in any form with alloy wheels now!

  11. #19
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    836
    Thanks
    525
    Thanked 111 Times in 91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    Sorry, I missed that you were in Canada. I agree, the Rio 5-door is nicer looking than the Accent sedan. They only offer it here in S trim now, and only with an automatic, which is a bit of a shame. Kia's whole strategy on trim levels for the Rio, sedan and hatchback, is bizarre. You can't get a Rio in the U.S. in any form with alloy wheels now!
    Yea eh in Canada weird little things are different with car lineups, even some cars only sold in Canada. Or Mercury we don't have anymore.

    Here is my point: Mitsubishi is very reliable, but I want to get a different car brand after my driving Mirage so many years. No real issues besides a few recalls, and a faulty starter. My starter was replaced, under warranty but took some some bickering. My Mirage's heat shield broke off one winter. 1 piece of my interior plastic fell off, but just clipped back on.

    For my next car the Rio sedan base in ice blue with a 6 speed manual is a good choice I feel. Manuals are getting rare to find. So in the USA it is even worse, interesting. I would go Mini but that is too much money, paying up the nose for the name there.


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •