Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another KBB comparison article questioning Mitsu reliability

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Yet another KBB comparison article questioning Mitsu reliability

Here's a comparison Kia vs Mitsubishi trash article, saying a freaking KIA is more reliable than a Mitsubishi, unbelievable. This KIA is also equipped with a CVT made by Hyundai Im guessing? I willing to bet the Japanese product is better. I dont understand where this notion that Mitsubishi is unreliable comes from? I see 20 year old Galants, Monteros, Mirages, Eclipses, on the road all the time. I cant remember the last time I saw the same from KIA. Comments on Mitsubishi reliability please.

Kelley Blue Book: 2019 Kia Forte vs. 2019 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 Comparison.
    https://www.kbb.com/car-news/kia-for...on/2100007654/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Here's a comparison Kia vs Mitsubishi trash article, saying a freaking KIA is more reliable than a Mitsubishi, unbelievable. This KIA is also equipped with a CVT made by Hyundai Im guessing? I willing to bet the Japanese product is better. I dont understand where this notion that Mitsubishi is unreliable comes from? I see 20 year old Galants, Monteros, Mirages, Eclipses, on the road all the time. I cant remember the last time I saw the same from KIA. Comments on Mitsubishi reliability please.

Kelley Blue Book: 2019 Kia Forte vs. 2019 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 Comparison.
    https://www.kbb.com/car-news/kia-for...on/2100007654/
    If you research KIA's & Mitsubishi's reliability, overall they are both doing pretty well. I am not going to claim this is accurate, nor do I believe everything I read on the internet.

"Mitsubishi Reliability Rating Breakdown. The Mitsubishi Reliability Rating is 4.5 out of 5.0, which ranks it 7th out of 32 for all car brands. This rating is based on an average across 345 unique models. The average annual repair cost for a Mitsubishi is $487, which means it has excellent ownership costs.
    Mitsubishi Reliability - 2019 Ratings | RepairPal"

"Kia Reliability Rating Breakdown. The Kia Reliability Rating is 4.5 out of 5.0, which ranks it 1st out of 32 for all car brands. This rating is based on an average across 345 unique models. The average annual repair cost for a Kia is $428, which means it has excellent ownership costs.
    Kia Reliability - 2019 Ratings | RepairPal"

I don't put a lot of stock in reliability ratings any more. Subaru is usually rated pretty high. I have one, & I won't be buying another one. I would buy a KIA over most other brands.

I don't understand the comparison of G4 to the Forte? I would compare the G4 ES CVT ($15,995 MSRP) to the Rio LX 6-speed Auto ($15,390 MSRP).

130 hp Rio has a lower MSRP than a 78 hp Mirage G4. If you had to pay near full price, which one would you buy? If mpg trumps everything, you would probably stick with a G4. If you want a small car with some hp, you may look pretty hard at relatively low priced Rio. Rio doesn't have a CVT to worry about either! KIA is making some decent cars at very competitive prices. If I had to pay the same price for either car, I would pick the lowly Rio over the G4. I am not saying the G4 is a bad car. I just wouldn't pay a lot of money for a 78 hp economy car, & I own one!

I wouldn't go around knocking KIA's reliability either. I see KIA as the complete opposite of Nissan.

Nissan had a good reputation, & it's becoming tarnished more & more each year.
    KIA didn't have the best reputation in the past, & it has had to work extra hard to get people past that.
    25-30 years ago, I would have bought a Nissan over KIA. I would not do that today!
    Last edited by Mark; 08-05-2019 at 06:03 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-05-2019),MetroMPG (08-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I dont understand where this notion that Mitsubishi is unreliable comes from?
    I get into this all the time whenever I talk about the Mirage. Particularly in the comments section of Demuro's video. Nobody can give me an answer other than, "Okay, well maybe Mitsubishis are reliable. But Hondas and Toyotas are MORE reliable, so don't buy a Mitsubishi."

I point out that not only is Mitsubishi just as Japanese as Honda or Toyota, but more of Mitsubishi's products are actually made in Japan!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    TFLcar.com: Rumor: Nissan Ditching Many CVTs, Tesla Fanboys and Lady’s Night?.
    https://www.tflcar.com/2019/08/rumor...d-ladys-night/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    TFLcar.com: Rumor: Nissan Ditching Many CVTs, Tesla Fanboys and Lady’s Night?.
    https://www.tflcar.com/2019/08/rumor...d-ladys-night/
    Nissan's image is tarnished, & their Jatco CVT transmissions have been a big part of that. Instead of Renault/Nissan working so hard on merging with Fiat/Chrysler, they should focus on improving their own products first.

I don't believe you can continue to make inferior products & survive in today's automotive industry. Fiat's return to the United States is a prime example of that. Fiat decreasing sales goes beyond the lack of interest in small car in the U.S.

If Nissan doesn't turn their act around, I predict Hyundai/KIA will be surpassing them in sales in the next couple years. Putting a transmission in their vehicles that will last the lifetime of the vehicle would be a step in the right direction. Nissan can't continue on its present course. It's good to hear they may even recognize that!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I willing to bet the Japanese product is better. I dont understand where this notion that Mitsubishi is unreliable comes from? I see 20 year old Galants, Monteros, Mirages, Eclipses, on the road all the time. I cant remember the last time I saw the same from KIA. Comments on Mitsubishi reliability please.
    I was at a checkout for 5 minutes the other week, and they had Consumer Reports magazine there, New Cars 2019 edition. Might have been at the Edmonton Airport. Anyway I looked up the Mirage, and reliability wise the Mirage got "above average" half green circle. So that's good.

I believe Consumer Reports buys the actual car they're testing. Same with their toasters and coffee makers etc. so I give them more credibility than many reviewers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-06-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

"Kia Reliability Rating Breakdown. The Kia Reliability Rating is 4.5 out of 5.0, which ranks it 1st out of 32 for all car brands. This rating is based on an average across 345 unique models. The average annual repair cost for a Kia is $428, which means it has excellent ownership costs.
    Kia Reliability - 2019 Ratings | RepairPal"

I don't put a lot of stock in reliability ratings any more. Subaru is usually rated pretty high. I have one, & I won't be buying another one. I would buy a KIA over most other brands.
    KIA Rio 6 speed manual sedan is very likely my next new car buy, in only a year and a half. I don't plan on trading in my Mirage hatch, but rather keep the car. Rio will be better for the wintertime.

I hope KIA sells the manuals for the 2021 model year!

Black or Ice Blue not sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Nissan's image is tarnished, & their Jatco CVT transmissions have been a big part of that. Instead of Renault/Nissan working so hard on merging with Fiat/Chrysler, they should focus on improving their own products first.

I don't believe you can continue to make inferior products & survive in today's automotive industry. Fiat's return to the United States is a prime example of that. Fiat decreasing sales goes beyond the lack of interest in small car in the U.S.

If Nissan doesn't turn their act around, I predict Hyundai/KIA will be surpassing them in sales in the next couple years. Putting a transmission in their vehicles that will last the lifetime of the vehicle would be a step in the right direction. Nissan can't continue on its present course. It's good to hear they may even recognize that!
    That's not good for Jatco, or for me. I need to believe I didnt make a bad investment. If this is true, it validates all my anxiety and fears.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    That's not good for Jatco, or for me. I need to believe I didnt make a bad investment. If this is true, it validates all my anxiety and fears.
    Bad air out Dirk, good air in. Hyper-stressing over things that are beyond your control is well, wasted time and energy. You can make sure your CVT's get serviced on a regular basis. You do that and you'll be ahead of 99% of owners. Beyond that, there really isn't anything to be gained. I personally think that most of the wear happens in the CVT at stops and heavy traffic. The "Idle Neutral Logic" is basically useless when you understand the very limited set of circumstances in which it operates. Which is why I place my CVT in neutral manually at every stop where I'm stopped for more than about 10 seconds. The owners manual has verbage that also states in heavy traffic or extensive idling, place the transmission in neutral. So I do, my CVT has been great with 77K miles, no issues. I'm planning on doing both filters and fluid change at 100K.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-05-2019),MetroMPG (08-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    KIA Rio 6 speed manual sedan is very likely my next new car buy, in only a year and a half. I don't plan on trading in my Mirage hatch, but rather keep the car. Rio will be better for the wintertime.

I hope KIA sells the manuals for the 2021 model year!

Black or Ice Blue not sure.
    I believe KIA dropped the 6-speed manual already this year. The 6-speed automatic is the only option in 2019. Dropping manuals is the latest trend in U.S. automobiles.

If you want a manual, you would need to find a used 2018 Rio or older model. Once a manual option gets dropped, they seldom come back. I would like to see that trend change, but I don't expect that will happen.

You can still get a 2019 Hyundai Accent (130 hp) with a 6-speed manual, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that one disappear in the next year or two.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-05-2019)