Thread: Take scratches out of your Mirage easy *video*

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Take scratches out of your Mirage easy *video*

So after washing my car I noticed a new, random huge scratch. If i didnt own a good polisher I'd have probably close to a dozen of these due to such thin paint. So the 55.00 spent on the DA polisher from harbor freight has easily paid for itself over the last 7yrs.

Here is a quick video I made removing the scratch. Takes literally like 2min tops.

https://youtu.be/R1lleLGmg2s

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-09-2019),Daox (08-22-2019),dspace9 (08-09-2019),inuvik (08-09-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    So after washing my car I noticed a new, random huge scratch. If i didnt own a good polisher I'd have probably close to a dozen of these due to such thin paint. So the 55.00 spent on the DA polisher from harbor freight has easily paid for itself over the last 7yrs.

Here is a quick video I made removing the scratch. Takes literally like 2min tops.

Interesting video Pryme. I think the end of the video got cut off abruptly, oh well. I have a dark grey Mirage myself, black almost, and how true it is that black paint shows everything. Mine is pearlescent so it looks great when it's washed, then you move the car and the car is dirty again.

I'm not sure if I would buff my car just yet. I can tell you know what you're doing, I need to do practice runs, and my plan is leaving my Mirage as is, with all the 5+ years of driving scratches and gravel chips on my hood.

I figure paint-matching pearl paint at a paint shop is prolly a nightmare and imperfect science. I should have bought a touchup pen when I bought my car. The Mirage has had like 5 different grey and silvers over the years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Interesting video Pryme. I think the end of the video got cut off abruptly, oh well. I have a dark grey Mirage myself, black almost, and how true it is that black paint shows everything. Mine is pearlescent so it looks great when it's washed, then you move the car and the car is dirty again.

I'm not sure if I would buff my car just yet. I can tell you know what you're doing, I need to do practice runs, and my plan is leaving my Mirage as is, with all the 5+ years of driving scratches and gravel chips on my hood.

I figure paint-matching pearl paint at a paint shop is prolly a nightmare and imperfect science. I should have bought a touchup pen when I bought my car. The Mirage has had like 5 different grey and silvers over the years.
    Yeah the audio cut out the last 30sec not sure why so I just trimmed it off. That was basically the end. I was saying I have a harsher compound that I probably wouldn't use on the mirage. 3m rubbing compound.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Nice video, I would only start by claying and cleaning with alcohol before using the abrasive compound just to make sure no contaminants are being pushed into the clear coat.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

So Pryme is Mr. M...I never made the connection. I watched your Mirage review videos long ago, very informative. Haven't got around to viewing the arms only wall climb yet, lol. When I was assigned to 2nd Marine Division, I could do the rope climb hands only. That was 33 years and 50 lbs ago, though. Time marches on...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Pryme (08-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    So Pryme is Mr. M...I never made the connection. I watched your Mirage review videos long ago, very informative. Haven't got around to viewing the arms only wall climb yet, lol. When I was assigned to 2nd Marine Division, I could do the rope climb hands only. That was 33 years and 50 lbs ago, though. Time marches on...
    Yeah, we are the same person ha. I have a hands only rope climb on my page too, at the big muscle beach rope in venice beach. The wall is harder to do hands only though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grevster View Post
    Nice video, I would only start by claying and cleaning with alcohol before using the abrasive compound just to make sure no contaminants are being pushed into the clear coat.
    That could be best and I did wash it first but no clay bar. I keep it really clean so I've never had any issues after buffing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great video. I know my black 2014 could really use this treatment! Its got a bunch of scratches over the years.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Pryme (08-26-2019)