Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be gentle if you replace lug studs

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Be gentle if you replace lug studs

Be gentle if you replace the lug studs.

I snapped my lug studs because some garage decided to tighten them to a million ft lbs or whatever. Was in a rush so I hammered in new ones after beating the hell out of my stuck on rotors to remove them, and managed to screw one up which I angle ground off and replaced again.

Ended up damaging the rear face of the hub, which caused the lug stud to not sit flush, which quickly ruined the bearing. I knew it was damaging it due to the hellish noise but I had to make it back home, a 6 hour drive away.

Can't do the work myself to fix all that due to my current situation, so I am having a mechanic do it. Total damage: $725 (Most of which is the price for the hub, bearing, replacement lug studs again and replacement rotor, Canadian parts are stupid expensive).

Moral of the story: Take it slow and easy if you decide to do this job. It's not complicated, but if you're in a rush, you can break anything!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to shepd For This Useful Post:

2of9 (11-28-2018),Cobrajet (11-27-2018),craigq (11-27-2018),Daox (11-27-2018),Fummins (11-27-2018),inuvik (11-27-2018),Loren (11-27-2018),Marklovski (11-27-2018)

You should apply at Canadian tire.

I've been pretty rammy with my own junk at times but that's pretty impressive! That rotor must have been pretty rusted on there or maybe your hammer isn't big enough. Got any pics?

Glad you got it all figured out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You should apply at Canadian tire.

I've been pretty rammy with my own junk at times but that's pretty impressive! That rotor must have been pretty rusted on there or maybe your hammer isn't big enough. Got any pics?

Glad you got it all figured out.
    Sorry, no pics. But I did use a 10 lb sledge as hard as I possibly could. Frankly, I've never had a rotor rusted on anything this bad. Usually I use a plastic deadblow hammer but I didn't have much in the way of tools on me.

I probably would get an instant job there if I linked this post! Think of the extra income lol!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shepd For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-27-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've had two different Fords I've worked on that were super rusted on. They were the rear rotors. I had to hit them so hard they broke in half. They were centered by the hub, but there was no relief in the rotor, so it just had to scrape off years of rust as you pulled it away from the hub. They really should know better.

Here is what I'm talking about. The left side is how it is, right is IMO how it should be.

Name:  HUB.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  25.4 KB
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-28-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I wish they would do something like that, but it would require an extra step in the machining process, and in this business, effort = money.

I've dealt with that too on a chev van. The rotor wasn't stuck to the hub but had so much rust behind the hub it took some beating to bust the rust away. I've ran into that with mud and Ice building up on the rear wheels of the Mirages in the winter too.

I've had rotors siezed to the hub on some dodges as well, got pretty rammy with those. I was replacing the hubs anyways but the backing plates went in the garbage by the time I was finished with them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I put some synthetic grease between the rotor and hub when I last had mine off to prevent this very thing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-28-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I put some synthetic grease between the rotor and hub when I last had mine off to prevent this very thing.
    2nd what Cobrajet said! It works. I used Never Seez, but same idea. It was on my old F150. The last time I did brake pads, the rotor wasn't stuck, fell right off when the caliper was removed.
    I got tired of cutting or hammering rotors off.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-28-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shepd View Post
    Was in a rush so I hammered in new ones after beating the hell out of my stuck on rotors to remove them, and managed to screw one up which I angle ground off and replaced again.
    I usually don't hammer in new studs. I just put a large nut or some other kind of spacer over the new stud, thread the lug nut onto the stud, then tighten down the lug nut over the spacer to pull the stud into the hub. Does that make sense?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-28-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Bumping a 2 year old thread here, but I have discovered two stripped studs on the junker CVT DE I picked up. Do I need to pull the hub? It looks like I can pull the caliper bracket and then be able to rotate the dust shield, but it looks like there still may not be enough room. Anyone with personal experience? TIA

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)