Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Time Mitsubishi Enthusiast! Intake DIY Inside Too :)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Long Time Mitsubishi Enthusiast! Intake DIY Inside Too :)

Hello everyone! My name is Matthew and I own a 2017 Mirage SE and a 1990 Talon TSi 5 speed. The Talon is highly modified and the Mirage is getting a plan in place. My first mod was my new intake which I’ll detail below. The car now has direction. It’s my daily driver and she’s been a great car. The handling leaves tons to be desired. So it’s going to find itself on some coilovers, RPF1s, super sticky tires, and tons of other mods. Some mods will be brand new uncharted territory so stay tuned.
    As far as the intake I’ve seen some different various among the community. I went a little on the crafty side and wrapped my intake pipe and intake manifold in reflect a gold tape to deviate heat soak. It’s been working well. The first step is to get a 3D printed MAF housing. They are readily available.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HL4V2PL?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image
    I used this universal intake and threw a 5” shorty AEM filter on it for space sake. The straight section of the intake needs to be cut exactly 3.5” and you’ll find your filter sitting right in the grille area. I’ve seen intakes that put the filter around the ABS area and I wanted to have the suction source as close as possible to fresh air. So this is my take on a proper intake for our cars. There’s an included L bracket that attached under the filter clamp. Take two pairs of pliers and bend the brackets in an “S” shape and put the eyelet of the bracket into the bolt for the belt tensioner. Secure it with an additional nut and enjoy.
    My car will be getting a lot of “track focused” modification eventually. This was just a step one modification.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Powershiftmatt For This Useful Post:

2of9 (08-12-2019),Daox (08-11-2019),MetroMPG (08-12-2019),Top_Fuel (08-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Powershiftmatt View Post
    Hello everyone! My name is Matthew and I own a 2017 Mirage SE and a 1990 Talon TSi 5 speed. The Talon is highly modified and the Mirage is getting a plan in place. My first mod was my new intake which I’ll detail below. The car now has direction. It’s my daily driver and she’s been a great car. The handling leaves tons to be desired. So it’s going to find itself on some coilovers, RPF1s, super sticky tires, and tons of other mods. Some mods will be brand new uncharted territory so stay tuned.
    As far as the intake I’ve seen some different various among the community. I went a little on the crafty side and wrapped my intake pipe and intake manifold in reflect a gold tape to deviate heat soak. It’s been working well. The first step is to get a 3D printed MAF housing. They are readily available.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HL4V2PL?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image
    I used this universal intake and threw a 5” shorty AEM filter on it for space sake. The straight section of the intake needs to be cut exactly 3.5” and you’ll find your filter sitting right in the grille area. I’ve seen intakes that put the filter around the ABS area and I wanted to have the suction source as close as possible to fresh air. So this is my take on a proper intake for our cars. There’s an included L bracket that attached under the filter clamp. Take two pairs of pliers and bend the brackets in an “S” shape and put the eyelet of the bracket into the bolt for the belt tensioner. Secure it with an additional nut and enjoy.
    My car will be getting a lot of “track focused” modification eventually. This was just a step one modification.

Looks awesome! Welcome to the forum. It's great to have folks on here pushing the envelope. We already know the Mirage is cheap, reliable fuel efficient transportation. It's always nice to see what else they can do, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Looks awesome! Welcome to the forum. It's great to have folks on here pushing the envelope. We already know the Mirage is cheap, reliable fuel efficient transportation. It's always nice to see what else they can do, too!
    Thank you We will find out what a GT25 ball bearing can do when pushed through a custom sheet metal intake manifold at about 10psi lol.
    2017 Mirage - track project and DD
    1990 Talon TSi - E3 16G turbo, FIC 980s, 27psi, DSMlink, tons of mods. The heartbreaker.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Hello Powershiftmatt and welcome to the forum.

I'm curious - did you make any before and after measurements with your intake mod? I wonder how power and acceleration is affected now that you've removed your resonator. Because without measurements, how can you tell whether you're helping or hurting things? With a little OBD-II adapter and some software on a smartphone that can log performance, there is no reason not to capture some hard data.

Be sure to post some racing videos.

And by the way, where do you race? There are a couple of tracks around Ohio.
    Last edited by Eggman; 08-11-2019 at 01:05 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hello Powershiftmatt and welcome to the forum.

I'm curious - did you make any before and after measurements with your intake mod? I wonder how power and acceleration is affected now that you've removed your resonator. Because without measurements, how can you tell whether you're helping or hurting things? With a little OBD-II adapter and some software on a smartphone that can log performance, there is no reason not to capture some hard data.

Be sure to post some racing videos.

And by the way, where do you race? There are a couple of tracks around Ohio.
    Indeed I did and made a nice blog post about it intake air temps dropped 51 degrees and my quarter mile pull went from 17.2@66 to 16.6@72. No other changes. I run at Norwalk (summit Motorsport park) and MCIR/LaRue.
    1990 Talon TSi - E3 16G turbo, FIC 980s, 27psi, DSMlink, tons of mods. The heartbreaker.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Powershiftmatt For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    ...intake air temps dropped 51 degrees and my quarter mile pull went from 17.2@66 to 16.6@72. No other changes.
    Those are some serious gains. Do you ever go to Test & Tune at Kil Kare?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Those are some serious gains. Do you ever go to Test & Tune at Kil Kare?
    Haven’t made it yet but it’s super close to me. My talon will be back on the road soon after the improvements and I wouldn’t mind taking it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nice looking intake mod.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Indeed I did and made a nice blog post about it intake air temps dropped 51 degrees and my quarter mile pull went from 17.2@66 to 16.6@72. No other changes. I run at Norwalk (summit Motorsport park) and MCIR/LaRue.
    That is like a lot, a lot... wow
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That looks a lot like how I ran my setup, though I kept it 2" all the way and bought a smaller filter (I went all scientific and measured the surface area of the stock filter and got a cone one with the same or more area). My butt dyno says it helps out a lot, but it's neat that someone has actual numbers to back it up. The only thing I'd suggest is to get that filter farther forward to the grill (my filter is smaller so I'm able to tuck it almost completely under the core support), and improvise a heat shield so it doesn't draw the hot air from behind it. I've found that when the IAT is 140-150+, the engine actually becomes sluggish from detuning.

I'm attempting to learn 3D modeling as a hobby and my first project is going to be a fully 3D printed intake, from filter to throttle body, that makes use of the stock filter shape.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)