Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 CVT mystery possibly solved

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

2014 CVT mystery possibly solved

Hi guys. As you know, Ive been scouring the internet trying to find out if a 2015-2019 CVT7 can be put in a 2014 model. Turns out, sadly no. The 2015 Mirage has a different model apparently called the CVT7 WR, which stands for wider ratio, versus the previous CVT7. So for those of us driving the pre 04/01/14, we're **** out of luck because I doubt the ECU programming will allow interchangeability. THANKS MITSUBISHI!

Jatco link describing the newer CVT7 WR:
    https://www.jatco.co.jp/english/rele...51013_574.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Rockabilly Manta (08-12-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Full disclosure for new readers of the 2014 CVT saga, Ive had no issues as of yet with my transmission and Im happy with my purchase, but beware! No warranty means its $5k bucks for a new CVT7, not including labor. Sourcing out a used 2014 is getting more and more difficult as well.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Would really appreciate input from Fummins, Inviks, other CVT owners. Fummins you mentioned the only difference you saw was the CVT cooler, could Mitsu have snuck in this newest version without telling anyone?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Rockabilly Manta (08-12-2019)

Where does it say that cvt is used in the Mirage? It shows being used in some Chinese market Nissan Lannia.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Hi guys. As you know, Ive been scouring the internet trying to find out if a 2015-2019 CVT7 can be put in a 2014 model. Turns out, sadly no. The 2015 Mirage has a different model apparently called the CVT7 WR, which stands for wider ratio, versus the previous CVT7. So for those of us driving the pre 04/01/14, we're **** out of luck because I doubt the ECU programming will allow interchangeability. THANKS MITSUBISHI!

Jatco link describing the newer CVT7 WR:
    https://www.jatco.co.jp/english/rele...51013_574.html
    It has nothing to do with ECU programming. JATCO simply increased the ratio spread between the two ranges and added additional cooling it appears. The CVT7 has always been a 2 speed. It's just that they increased the ratio in which the lower range can operate. Which is probably why I can downshift my 2015 into "B" at 70mph. JATCO probably realized that they could utilize the gearing in the 2 speed CVT to better match lower horsepower motors ie...(Mirage). A CVT7 WR will bolt right into a 2014. Same external case (with the exception of additional stack cooler and water line).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Where does it say that cvt is used in the Mirage? It shows being used in some Chinese market Nissan Lannia.
    I thought I read on the Jatco website that its the latest CVT7 to into all qualified vehicles. My question is this. Should I try and update my CVT cooler? After watching this youtube vid, this engineer recommends it for any owner of a 2013 Nissan Sentra because of burn out issues.

https://youtu.be/yCenSvOZNlk

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    It has nothing to do with ECU programming. JATCO simply increased the ratio spread between the two ranges and added additional cooling it appears. The CVT7 has always been a 2 speed. It's just that they increased the ratio in which the lower range can operate. Which is probably why I can downshift my 2015 into "B" at 70mph. JATCO probably realized that they could utilize the gearing in the 2 speed CVT to better match lower horsepower motors ie...(Mirage). A CVT7 WR will bolt right into a 2014. Same external case (with the exception of additional stack cooler and water line).
    Thats what worries me. They added additional cooling. Signifying the one I have on my 2014 isnt sufficient.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Thats what worries me. They added additional cooling. Signifying the one I have on my 2014 isnt sufficient.
    The CVT7 was used in Nissan applications before the Mirage. Most likely Nissan's craptastic programming and using the CVT7 in vehicles at the upper range of power (up to 150hp) that the CVT7 was designed for wasn't beneficial for longevity. It certainly wouldn't hurt to add additional cooling especially in your hot humid climate. Changing the fluid more often would also be beneficial. What does your CVT have on it now? Just the stack cooler and no water lines or no cooler at all?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2015 and 2017 both use the same looking cooler. There are 2 ports that have coolant. Mirage's do not have an external oil cooler. Some Nissan's do. It probably wouldn't hurt anything to run an external cooler except in the cold. Would be an idea to have a cooler bypass or thermostat of some kind for winter time.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The CVT7 was used in Nissan applications before the Mirage. Most likely Nissan's craptastic programming and using the CVT7 in vehicles at the upper range of power (up to 150hp) that the CVT7 was designed for wasn't beneficial for longevity. It certainly wouldn't hurt to add additional cooling especially in your hot humid climate. Changing the fluid more often would also be beneficial. What does your CVT have on it now? Just the stack cooler and no water lines or no cooler at all?
    Two fluid lines to the radiator I believe. Exact same 2 pronged cooler as the utube vid I posted. My question is since my Mirage way underpowered compared to the Sentra, do I stand a chance of lasting longer?

Do yours look like this?

Name:  20190812_124942.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  88.7 KB