Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost bought a Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Almost bought a Mirage

I nearly bought a Mirage today. There was a 2018 Mirage GT with only 4000 miles on it at a dealership 70 miles away. According to the sales manager, an employee of the dealership had bought it to help establish her credit, and then traded it in 6 months later for the Outlander she really wanted. They were asking $10,985, which is a pretty great price in this area (DC). Anyway, I called at 9 AM to verify that the car was still there and set out. An hour later, more than half of the way into the drive, they called and said someone else had come in and purchased it. Pretty big bummer, especially the fact that they wouldn't even wait for me to arrive. I get that dealerships want to sell their cars and are reluctant to send a potential buyer away, but geez. It's unfortunate because that's the first Mirage I've seen that I felt was a good enough deal to pursue. (Obviously someone else felt the same way. )

Last edited by mainertodd; 08-12-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you know someone is coming to look at it they have first dibs. But the person who bought it might have had first dibs but they could've let you know someone else was thinking about buying it.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

That's a bummer. But another good deal will come up.

Fortunately, it sounds like you can afford to wait (have another working set of wheels).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    If you know someone is coming to look at it they have first dibs. But the person who bought it might have had first dibs but they could've let you know someone else was thinking about buying it.
    That was my thought, but apparently that's not how they do things. The dealership has very good reviews otherwise, so that was a bit of disappointment.

There's a no-haggle dealership nearby that has two leftover 2018s (both of which have been on their lot at least a year, I believe), an SE for $13,500 and a GT w/ the Rockford Fosgate kit for $14,800. Those seem like appropriate prices for 2019s, but not for year-old 2018s.

But yup, I can certainly afford to wait. This would actually be the second car in the family, replacing a 2006 Kia Spectra5 that's still chugging along. Cleaning up the Spectra5 yesterday in preparation for trading it in was bittersweet. ;-)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Made me think of this:

I have a geeky brain when it comes to music.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    I nearly bought a Mirage today. There was a 2018 Mirage GT with only 4000 miles on it at a dealership 70 miles away. I get that dealerships want to sell their cars and are reluctant to send a potential buyer away, but geez. It's unfortunate because that's the first Mirage I've seen that I felt was a good enough deal to pursue. (Obviously someone else felt the same way. )
    That is a bummer! I'm sure most of us have had something like that happen to us. You find a good deal on something, & it is gone or sold out. I'm sure car dealers have customers, who claim they are coming in to purchase a car, never show up, too! You may have the option to put a down payment on a car to hold it for you, but then it may not be what you want when you get there. I can see both sides of this issue.

I don't blame the dealer for doing what they did. In all honesty, you probably helped their sale. I'm sure they told whoever that someone else was on their way to purchase the car. That would make the other party push through with the deal & probably pay what they were asking for it.

Hopefully, you'll find a better deal! Mirages with a CVT are easier to come by. As we get closer to the 2020 Mirages appearing in dealer lots, the prices may come down some more. There isn't a lot of negotiating room for a car this is relatively cheap to begin with, but good deals can surely be found.

Hopefully, a new bargain will appear again soon for you!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I had the same thing happen to me once. I can't remember what kind of car it was, but it was in a town about 30 miles away. When I got the call I was bummed that the car had been sold, but thankful to the sales guy for calling me just as I was leaving town to tell me it was gone.

A lot of salesmen would have let me make the drive and tried to sell me something else.

Gotta be quick when those great deals show up!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I had the same thing happen to me once. I can't remember what kind of car it was, but it was in a town about 30 miles away. When I got the call I was bummed that the car had been sold, but thankful to the sales guy for calling me just as I was leaving town to tell me it was gone.

A lot of salesmen would have let me make the drive and tried to sell me something else.
    Agreed--it was nice that he called as quickly as he did. It would have been more annoying if I'd driven the last 30 miles to the dealership only to get the bad news in person.

My real wish is to find a low-mileage 2017 SE 5MT nearby, but I'm not holding my breath--there is exactly one used SE 5MT available in the entire country at the moment!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    Agreed--it was nice that he called as quickly as he did. It would have been more annoying if I'd driven the last 30 miles to the dealership only to get the bad news in person.

My real wish is to find a low-mileage 2017 SE 5MT nearby, but I'm not holding my breath--there is exactly one used SE 5MT available in the entire country at the moment!
    Why not buy a new one? Believe it or not there are some 2015's still floating around brand new that I bet you could offer some ridiculously low price on. Check out this list.

https://www.autolist.com/listings#la...tion%5B%5D=new

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yikes! If those are for real, I can only imagine why the dealers would still have them--presumably because they are insisting on too much money? I don't see any 2017 SE manuals on that list. There's supposedly one 2017 SE CVT near me, but it's not listed on the dealer's website.

Anyway, I don't have a problem buying new, but the 2019s are still overpriced at this point, I think, because the rebates are so low. Perhaps that'll change come September.